The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Snowstorm of 2014 (well the first one for my area)  (Read 49275 times)

DiabloLoco

Re: 1st Snowstorm of 2014 (well the first one for my area)
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »

Temp went below freezing for a couple of hours this morning, but no detectable frost.

Heat's been on at night for a couple of weeks.
I'm pretty sure that I'm at a higher elevation than you are. That's probably why I have been getting frost and you haven't yet.

mi6a2lm

• http://emtaz.com
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:11 am »

Inside 75o.  Outside chilly.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:18:32 am by mi6a2lm »
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2014, 06:24:01 am »

Today isn't too bad but Saturday morning it was BRRR: 19 degrees!

Safe to say the garden is done.  No snow in the forecast thankfully.  I need to mow the lawn one more time.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

mi6a2lm

« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2014, 09:21:32 am »

71 frickin' degrees Fahrenheit inside.  Had to throw on outside-wear sweater and wool cap just to sleep. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:43:28 am by mi6a2lm »
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

colonial shooter

« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2014, 09:24:35 am »

3.5 inches of snow here yesterday. High barely reached freezing. high today 28*. Hope the rest of the winter isn't like this.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

mi6a2lm

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:45 am »

3.5 inches of snow here yesterday. High barely reached freezing. high today 28*. Hope the rest of the winter isn't like this.

That's the good thing about the North/ high country.  You guys have real winters.  One good thing about AZ - I can drive north about 2 hrs. and frolic in the snow and ski in Flagstaff - then come back and bitch about the low '70's, about how there's no wood to put in my no-basement or no-fireplace.  I suppose I could dig a firepit in the back but there's no wood - the Mesquite out front would last all of 15 minutes and cacti are skinny and burn quickly.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2014, 09:47:07 am »

Had 10 inches of snow the last week, here in NE Wyoming. Temps at night going below zero most of the time, but only got down to 9 last night... a warming trend. :) Heavy wind the last three days, so most of the snow has blown into drifts... two of which are on either end of my circular driveway. I hope to be able to get out and go to town tomorrow.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

mi6a2lm

« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2014, 09:58:43 am »

Had 10 inches of snow the last week, here in NE Wyoming. Temps at night going below zero most of the time, but only got down to 9 last night... a warming trend. :) Heavy wind the last three days, so most of the snow has blown into drifts... two of which are on either end of my circular driveway. I hope to be able to get out and go to town tomorrow.

You own a snowmobile?  You can probably get one on the cheap.  I remember trying to tool around in the snow on my 50cc dirt bike when some kids from town stopped by on their snowmobiles.  Hopped on the back of one girl's snowmobile and we were off.  No licenses, registration, insurance etc.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:37 am »

You own a snowmobile?  You can probably get one on the cheap.  I remember trying to tool around in the snow on my 50cc dirt bike when some kids from town stopped by on their snowmobiles.  Hopped on the back of one girl's snowmobile and we were off.  No licenses, registration, insurance etc.

No thanks. :) Have no interest in going out in the cold, especially when it is windy, and am happy to wait and drive the car. Supposed to get up to a high of 30 tomorrow. That will do just fine.

I couldn't get to town in a snowmobile anyway, as they are not legal to use on the roads and there is no other way to get off my property.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2014, 10:08:23 am »

We had our first snow last Thursday night (other than some short-lived squalls the Friday before, which didn't stick at all). An inch or two on the ground in the morning, which didn't stick on the roads, but hung around for a few days on the ground. It snowed another couple of inches last night, but changed to rain this morning, and will melt off before the day is over thanks to a high of 44F. Forecast calls for highs in the 20s and 30s and lows in the teens and 20s for most of the coming week.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »

We got our first snowfall of the season yesterday.  I'm not sure how much actually fell, but it never completely covered the ground, never covered the roads, and is pretty much all gone now.  When I left for work this morning, there was a little bit of ice on some of the bridges off to the sides where the concrete barrier blocks the sunlight.  No sign of it when I was driving home.

There were "news" stories about people buying out certain products at grocery stores.  Same stuff they always buy out when the weather's bad, whether it's snow/ice or tornadoes: bread, eggs and milk.  Evidently, when storms roll in, Okies make french toast.  Never understood that myself, and I was born and raised here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:31:32 pm by securitysix »
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

bennie

« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:10 am »

There were "news" stories about people buying out certain products at grocery stores.  Same stuff they always buy out when the weather's bad, whether it's snow/ice or tornadoes: bread, eggs and milk.  Evidently, when storms roll in, Okies make french toast. 

That's funny! I laughed a long time on that one!

mi6a2lm

« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2014, 09:08:51 am »

Friggin' 49o F.  I suppose I could fire up the (electric) chainsaw, cut down a palm tree, make a fire pit in dinky backyard ...

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:44 am »

We have real storms here fairly often in the winter... blizzards even. I've never seen any sort of panic buying. There are plenty of people in the store after such a storm, restocking their milk, etc. But I've never seen people buying up basic supplies before a storm. They already have a pantry full.

I've been snow bound for a week, but will get out today. I need coffee creamer and bananas, that's all.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2014, 02:06:22 pm »

We've had some unseasonably cooler weather here in the Mid-South. Halloween day is usually in the 70's with the temps dropping to the 50's at night. This year it was in the 50's during the day and it dropped down into the 30's at night with a freeze warning.

Last Thursday and yesterday we woke up to some snow. The ground isn't cold enough to hold it, so it mostly stayed on our roofs and back deck. Since I've lived in this part of the country (8 years) I have only seen snow flurries as early as the first week of December. Makes me wonder what is in store for the next 3 months!!!
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up