The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SB has changed for the worse.  (Read 13479 times)

Lonewolf72

Re: SB has changed for the worse.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 11:31:38 am »

Sounds similar to me when I first heard the term "prepping". When I looked into what it meant, I found I had been doing that all of my life. When I was growing up we raised most of our own meat and vegetables, and "prepping" was just getting ready for winter.

rbryant

• The day of reckoning is a-comin'!
    • NoFEMA.com
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »

Color me a cynic, but when it comes to disaster preparedness my only religious belief is that "God helps them that helps themselves".  Still, SB is a tremendous resource that should not be ignored.
I can't overlook all of the religious stuff. SB is for beginning preppers anyways. I've moved on. You will too eventually.

Depending on the future you anticipate it's not a bad idea for the experienced prepper to have a foot-in-the-door of the venues that address those new to prepping.  It gives us an opportunity to usher in new folks who may contribute to our own security (e.g. friends and neighbors).

Having given it a lot of thought for many years, and having consulted with innumerable other experienced preppers, I've concluded that one's best bet for surviving a worst case scenario is to be part of a larger community (even if that community does not consist predominantly of those who are preparing in advance).
AUTHOR: "When There is No FEMA - Survival for Normal People in (Very) Abnormal Times"

DiabloLoco

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »

Color me a cynic, but when it comes to disaster preparedness my only religious belief is that "God helps them that helps themselves".  Still, SB is a tremendous resource that should not be ignored.
I can't overlook all of the religious stuff. SB is for beginning preppers anyways. I've moved on. You will too eventually.

I've concluded that one's best bet for surviving a worst case scenario is to be part of a larger community (even if that community does not consist predominantly of those who are preparing in advance).
Agreed. I wouldn't steer them to SB though. Hardcore religion nuts are NOT the type of people that I would want in my group, and that IS the type that would frequent that site. SB is not the only game in town. I'm pretty sure that readership has gone down quite a bit since JWR handed over the reigns. There's a reason.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 10:12:09 am »

Sounds similar to me when I first heard the term "prepping". When I looked into what it meant, I found I had been doing that all of my life. When I was growing up we raised most of our own meat and vegetables, and "prepping" was just getting ready for winter.

Putting up the preserves.  I didn't realize how unusual that was until we lost the farm and had to move to Granolaville............   Living on the farm was always about self sufficiency, mom put in my first 3 sets of stitches after some violently painful experiences with alchohol and Iodine, I learned to be careful.....   I was replacing washers in the plumbing instead of dad by the age of ten........   City folks are soooo dependent it is scary.

As for SB, yep a lot of true believers on there spouting "alignment language" I can ignore that and get the initial tidbits.  Their link list is awesome too, even if it is "Associates".
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

StillaGhost

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:08 pm »

SB is not the only game in town. I'm pretty sure that readership has gone down quite a bit since JWR handed over the reigns. There's a reason.

Rawles *IS* " hard core religion , remember that he " accepted the Great Commission". He's a neoCalvinist of the first water , I don't think you were here for that blowup with the first incarnation of his " manifesto " which basically stated that if you aren't Christian don't move to the " Redoubt ".

Note that he backed off on that and changed it on the blog when he got called on his crap.

And yes I mean Kuyper style neocalvinism , a perversion of the original Calvinist thought and precepts.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:40 am »

SB is not the only game in town. I'm pretty sure that readership has gone down quite a bit since JWR handed over the reigns. There's a reason.

Rawles *IS* " hard core religion , remember that he " accepted the Great Commission". He's a neoCalvinist of the first water , I don't think you were here for that blowup with the first incarnation of his " manifesto " which basically stated that if you aren't Christian don't move to the " Redoubt ".

Note that he backed off on that and changed it on the blog when he got called on his crap.

And yes I mean Kuyper style neocalvinism , a perversion of the original Calvinist thought and precepts.

Yeah, no worries, the redoubt is loaded with tyranny loving super christians.  (What you call the kuyper style neocalvinists.)  I live out this way and I gotta tell you, there's very few who espouse even remotely what "the Man" is said to have said. 
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

StillaGhost

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »

Yeah, no worries, the redoubt is loaded with tyranny loving super christians.  (What you call the kuyper style neocalvinists.)  I live out this way and I gotta tell you, there's very few who espouse even remotely what "the Man" is said to have said.

Oh I know this only too well , living within the loose area known as the redoubt. I can get along with them as long as they don't proselytise and/or command. Problem is that they'll frequently interfere with your life in rather nefarious ways if you're not interested in their shuck and jive , and if you're a " former christian " it's even worse until you draw the line in the sand ( so to speak).......

Fundamentalists are basically of the same flavor , be they Christian or Muslim ( or myriad theological/doctrinal systems) , the degree of rabidity varies , the behavior doesn't to any great degree.

jamie

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:06 am »

I pretty much left any consideration after reading the first book he wrote. Lot of unnecessary killing among other problems.

The religious aspect is another reason.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »

Oh I know this only too well , living within the loose area known as the redoubt. I can get along with them as long as they don't proselytise and/or command. Problem is that they'll frequently interfere with your life in rather nefarious ways if you're not interested in their shuck and jive , and if you're a " former christian " it's even worse until you draw the line in the sand ( so to speak).......

Fundamentalists are basically of the same flavor , be they Christian or Muslim ( or myriad theological/doctrinal systems) , the degree of rabidity varies , the behavior doesn't to any great degree.

Oh, when the redoubt plugging people plug the NW, and the idea of shunning, they don't realize how much a few assholes in that religious community or various religious or pretend religious groups can harm someone just because "uber leedr" doesn't like someone and drops the dime.  They don't shun former arsonists, burglars or armed robbers.  They offer those guys 20 dollar an hour construction jobs without being asked for it.

An honest man who's never committed a crime can't even get a break with them.

Rand was right.  The religionists preach forgiveness and to them the worthless is worthwhile, the criminal is just and the nefarious is noble.  Everything is ass backwards.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

StillaGhost

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 11:11:32 am »

Rand was right.  The religionists preach forgiveness and to them the worthless is worthwhile, the criminal is just and the nefarious is noble.  Everything is ass backwards.

( rolling rock away from the Tomb of This Thread)......As much as I detest Rand she was undoubtedly correct in the above aspect, a real code of ethics in these times is at some turns diametrically opposed to the operative systems that pass for same in some ideological and/or religious systems.

We reside in an increasingly Orwellian/Randian mutation of society , the future looks no brighter than the current situation.

Shanks Mare

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 10:25:30 pm »

I believe in the One True God....there is no other.

That is my reply. I am a Bible Thumping Christian. :D
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

DiabloLoco

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »

I believe in the One True God....there is no other.

That is my reply. I am a Bible Thumping Christian. :D
You must have bloody knuckles. Bibles are hard! :laugh:

That is my reply. :threvil:

Shanks Mare

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 09:46:30 am »

Not so much as you'd think!!! :D
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

DiabloLoco

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 07:24:56 pm »

Not so much as you'd think!!! :D