The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SB has changed for the worse.  (Read 12780 times)

DiabloLoco

SB has changed for the worse.
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »

Survival Blog has a new editor....Hugh. More like, huge. As in HUGE mistake. I've always thought that SB was way too religious, but it has gone off the deep end with this new editor. JWR handed the reigns to a certified bible thumper. I know that many here have already abandoned SB, but I still hung on. There was still good information there. You just had to ignore all the religious bullshit. But no more. It is IMPOSSIBLE to ignore now. Just about every single article is more about religion than it is about prepping or survival. What a waste. I will NOT be visiting that site ever again. They have lost me as a reader, and I'm fairly certain that I am not the only one. I wonder what the average readership will be in 6 months?

Sorry....had to rant a bit.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: SB has changed for the worse.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:16:32 am »

Time for someone to start a new one, I guess. It's so easy to do these days. I would imagine you are not alone, DL. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:31 am »

I stopped going for other reasons.  Seemed like every other article was 'prepping for beginners'.  While that is fine for people just waking up, someone like me who has rubbed most of the sleep out needs... more.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:57:34 am »

Well, well, well... looks as if someone DID start a new one. http://brinkoffreedom.net/

Claire says: Brink of Freedom is a great place. It combines a freedomista attitude, high energy, and useful self-sufficiency how-tos.

I've bookmarked it and will be looking it over.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »

Well, well, well... looks as if someone DID start a new one. http://brinkoffreedom.net/

Claire says: Brink of Freedom is a great place. It combines a freedomista attitude, high energy, and useful self-sufficiency how-tos.

Wow.  Very neat.  I've added this to my morning coffee reading.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:11:32 pm »

Interesting. I too will be giving it a once over. Thx!

DiabloLoco

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 01:55:39 pm »

First impressions of BrinkOfLiberty-

1. It is not a blog. Not at all. It is an online magazine.
2. It's not free. $29/year for full access membership
3. Not very much free content available.
4. Not a "daily read". More like a "monthly read", whether you pay or not.
5. Involved in social networking. IMHO, using facebook is a no-no. It shows that the founder has piss-poor OPSEC and is more interested in making money than providing information to those that seek it.
6. There is some kind of "points" system that rewards commenting and posting articles. What the "points" are good for, I have no idea. Seems to me that a "points" system would encourage trolls.

This is just my first impression of the site. I may be wrong about some of the things that I listed. I'm not saying that it's not worth perusing. There are some cool articles there, although there are religious tripe sprinkled around that site too.

What do you guys think of the site?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:58:39 pm by DiabloLoco »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:26:08 pm »

What do you guys think of the site?

Have not had time to really look at it. Saw the subscription deal (not yet available, far as I can see) and wouldn't go there. The "points" thing seems rather juvenile, and I had not thought of that increasing trolls, but you are right.

It's new, however, so I wouldn't expect much content yet, free or otherwise. They are actively soliciting articles now, so we'll see where this goes. I looked at some of the health articles. Typical for this sort of publication, but nothing not available in lots of other places on the web and in books.

No real indication of how the articles will be vetted, if at all, so it may be "buyer beware" pretty much. The one herbal article I read had footnotes, but they were not hyperlinked. Most people would not bother to search for them.

If you leave a comment, be aware of the very sneaky pre checked box that "requests" an email alert to new articles, offers, etc. I already had an email from them the next time I checked incoming mail. I just HATE that kind of thing, but unsubscribing was easy.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with someone who wants to put up a site like this and make some money. Just needs to be up front about it and not play games. I don't like playing games...

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:47 pm »

If you leave a comment, be aware of the very sneaky pre checked box that "requests" an email alert to new articles, offers, etc. I already had an email from them the next time I checked incoming mail. I just HATE that kind of thing, but unsubscribing was easy.
me too ML.

Thanks for the heads up.

That is enough to warn me off the place before even going there.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:54:20 am »

Perhaps Brink of Freedom is not a daily read but there seems to be plenty of good information there.  I just finished an article comparing natural vs synthetic antivirals for combating the flu.  I don't plan on leaving comments or subscribing to anything.  I'll pop on to the site from time to time, perhaps learn a few things and enjoy my cheap coffee.

Tipitaka

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:06 am »

Oh great. The rock-chuckers are making contingency plans for the end of days. You know, living in pretty much the exact spot where the Upper Midwest meets Appalachia has its perks, but it also has its downside. Mostly it's the high concentration of fanatical monotheists and the need to hide one's beliefs whenever they differ significantly as a safety measure. When they ask me pointed questions, I have to be careful to say things in a way that sounds like what they're used to hearing without saying anything untrue. But I'm much more open online than in person because of anonymity.

So for example:

Question: Do you believe in God?

Meatspace Answer: Oh sure, I guess so.

Internet Answer: Which one?

Question: (after I turned down their request to attend their church) Why not?

Meatspace Answer: I prefer to spend time with deity in my garden or at the park. Churches are made by human hands and can't compare to nature. I commune better in the cathedral carpeted by grass, cloistered with trees, walled with mountains, and roofed by the sky.

Internet Answer: I'm not very fond of churches, I'd rather spend my time in the garden learning about deity from my tomatoes.

Question: *when caught meditating in a Nemeton* What are you doing? Isn't worshiping in a grove sinful?

Meatspace Answer: Gethsemane is a grove of olive trees. Jesus prayed there. Shouldn't a follower *gestures towards asker* copy their master? I was just leaving, it's all yours. *leaves*

Hypothetical Internet Answer: For you maybe. But my religion doesn't have a problem with trees. Sometimes I like to sit up here and drink while making toasts to my ancestors and their Gods.

Who...me?

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 03:09:54 pm »

"Do you believe in God"

"I believe you should mind your own business, what I believe and where I believe it are not any of your concern"
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »

"Do you believe in God"

"I believe you should mind your own business, what I believe and where I believe it are not any of your concern"

Good one...
I respond to such questions with a raised eyebrow and, "That's a very personal question. I don't believe it's any of your business." And I don't care who or where they are...

Tipitaka

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 10:02:44 am »

"Do you believe in God"

Good one...
I respond to such questions with a raised eyebrow and, "That's a very personal question. I don't believe it's any of your business." And I don't care who or where they are...

Am I being too nice in person? I live in a pretty close-knit neighborhood...

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:50 am »

Am I being too nice in person? I live in a pretty close-knit neighborhood...

What is "nice?"  I'm telling the truth, whether the hearers think it is "nice" or otherwise.

I'm not going to play games with anyone, so if I'm asked a question, they'll get the absolute straight answer, no matter who they are. You are the only one who can judge how you see your relationships with anyone else, and what is right for you to say to them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up