The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "101 Things" is CONTRABAND!  (Read 8716 times)

NuclearDruid

"101 Things" is CONTRABAND!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 02:59:22 pm »

Things have certainly changed in 20 years. When I was on active duty we used to have a twidget that could be found reading Karl Marx Manifesto whenever he wasn't on watch. It used to drive his D.O. nuts (which he said was his sole reason for doing it) It obviously didn't hurt his chance for promotion because he went frm E-4 to E-5 while at the command. Maybe in retrospect communist literature isn't that subversive to the statist.
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Eternal_Vigilance

• Taking other people's crap since '69
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 10:29:45 pm »

Welcome to the wacky world of the UCMJ! I have always found it ironic that in order to "defend freedom", members of the military must first have theirs taken away. Of course, young men don't think about these things until after the fact, if ever. I know I didn't. Until after the fact, that is;)

I once got a BAAAD sunburn whilst on the way to Hawaii ( yeah, it was rough, dammit ). I made the comment that I intended to get some sunburn cream and was told in no uncertain terms that if I did, I would be held accountable for destroying govt. property At least the pay sucked.

For the fine gentleman to who started this thread, all I can say is hurry home, I'll photocopy mine for ya- just don't let Claire know ;)

Yours in Liberty,
Randall
Justice needs lawyers like true love needs a pimp!

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 08:57:57 am »

Maybe in retrospect communist literature isn't that subversive to the statist.
NuclearDruid, guess where they get their ideas from ;-)

rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

BlackVelvetJesus

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 01:36:15 am »

Hey All -
Sorry I've been absent recently. Duties kept me away from the web for a while there.

enemy - I don't doubt that others haven't had a problem with their literature. However, when I initially probed about what kind of literature the MPs were considering "contraband," I recevied the answer: "Anything that can be construed as anti-American or against the government." He pointed to a sample poster that had a mock-book that said "How to Overthrow the Government." Based on his statement alone, odds are even a glance at the cover of "101 Things..." would identify it as contraband according to the ever-changing criteria.
With that in mind, I should tell you how many times the restrictions have changed. Everything from Iraqi bayonets and money to hookah pipes and other souvenirs have, at one point or another - been contraband. The trick is, while there is an official list, the traveling soldier has to figure out WHOSE list he's being judged by: The Reservist Judge Advocate General? The CFLCC commander? The camp commander? The MP commander? Or is it the "discretion" of the MP performing the search. If someone got through with literature like "101 Things..." then more power to them. But it was Russian Roulette. I'd rather not risk having this book destroyed.

Out here.
BVJ

PS - I couldn't find any initial documents, but I have a very discreet friend in the military justice program who would be able to find a list of "harmful literature," if there's one to be found... I'll let you know.

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 07:31:40 am »

BVJ, send me a pm, you'll get my mail address in Germany, I'll mail it to some non-military confident of yours. That'll work.
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 09:59:17 am »

For the fine gentleman to who started this thread, all I can say is hurry home, I'll photocopy mine for ya- just don't let Claire know ;)

This is one case in which I'd be delighted to surrender the intellectual property I so fiercely defended elsewhere. Randall, if BVJ accepts, gopherit.

P.S. The publisher and I also once gave consent for the book to be translated into Russian & published in Russia with no compensation to us. We both figured getting the book over there would be compensation enough for any freedom lover!
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Mac the Knife

• TAN$TAAFL
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 08:54:18 pm »

Claire, have you ever thought about turning your out of print books into e-books that can be bought for a few bucks on your web site.  :rolleyes: A good way for those of us that do not have then yet to get and read them, and for you to make a little money. :P

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."~H.L. Mencken

First Freedom Outlaw Brigade Merchandise Store

Dana

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 10:06:49 pm »

Claire, have you ever thought about turning your out of print books into e-books that can be bought for a few bucks on your web site.  :rolleyes: A good way for those of us that do not have then yet to get and read them, and for you to make a little money. :P
Print on Demand might also be another good alternative.  If and when do the IP rights revert back to the author after the book goes out of print?

Dana

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2003, 01:32:05 pm »

Print on Demand might also be another good alternative.  If and when do the IP rights revert back to the author after the book goes out of print?

Dana
According to a relative of mine, IP rights revert to the author if the book is out of print for more than 1 year.

You also have to send the publisher a letter, telling them that you intend to reclaim your rights to the book if they don't put it back in print -- or something like that, this is admittedly a second-hand retelling.

The person I got this juicy tidbit of information from has rescued a book from non-print-dom at www.iuniverse.com.  She said she had to send them 2 copies of the original book (so they could tear it down and re-typeset it), and she got permission from the illustrator to use the original cover art.

IUniverse books are pricy, but they supposedly do a very good job of printing and binding the books -- better than the mass-produced paperbacks.  They also pay a higher percentage in royalties for each book sold.

Eternal_Vigilance

• Taking other people's crap since '69
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 10:22:57 pm »

Whatever they cost, it's gotta be cheaper than what they go for on Amazon. Not that the ideas therein aren't worth it, but like me, with little kids running amok, the more expensive the book, the greater the likelihood of "artwork" placed therein. On every page. Blocking out all the salient points. I won't mention my walls. Jeez :wacko:

Justice needs lawyers like true love needs a pimp!

Hidden_Variable

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2004, 11:34:45 pm »

Claire, have you ever thought about turning your out of print books into e-books that can be bought for a few bucks on your web site.  :rolleyes: A good way for those of us that do not have then yet to get and read them, and for you to make a little money. :P
I second that, Claire. That is a good idea.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2004, 02:00:31 pm »

Ooops, I missed all these suggestions about out-of-print books until just now.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and the suggestions, guys.

Yes, I think my contract with Loompanics and its subsidiary Breakout give me back the rights to my out-of-print books after six months. Something like that. And perhaps it would be worth reprinting 101 (though not Don't Shoot) as a kind of curio. I do have the files on CD.

But the new book I'm working on will take the best of 101 (updated and re-writen considerably), add quite a few new items, and -- if I do it right -- be such a good substitute that nobody'll miss the original. TCF forum members may also find a fair number of their own suggestions in there. :-)

The book is driving me crazy to write, for reason's I've never exactly figured. But it's finally coming along and might be ready to go to the publisher in as little as six or seven weeks. So we may not need any reprints of out-of-print titles once this one comes out. So I hope ...

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

beech_trees

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 06:15:44 pm »

The book is driving me crazy to write, for reason's I've never exactly figured. But it's finally coming along and might be ready to go to the publisher in as little as six or seven weeks.
The creative process is a curious thing, isn't it Claire? It can't be summoned sometimes, other times it cannot be quelled.

Dave

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2004, 05:03:22 am »

And perhaps it would be worth reprinting 101 (though not Don't Shoot) as a kind of curio. I do have the files on CD.

But the new book I'm working on will take the best of 101 (updated and re-writen considerably), add quite a few new items, and -- if I do it right -- be such a good substitute that nobody'll miss the original. TCF forum members may also find a fair number of their own suggestions in there. :-)

Claire,

Please, please, pretty pleeeeeease with sugar on top -- reprint 101 Things.  A publish-on-demand edition is fine.

And I don't care if it is "up to date" or not.  In fact, I prefer not.

I fully intend to buy your "latest" as soon as it comes out, and I'm sure it will be the most excellent, practical, up-to-date do it yerself freedom book ever (at least until our dread would-be masters get around to reading it as "101 loopholes to close")

But there is something special to me about re-reading 101 Things that is timeless, no matter how "obsolete" it becomes.  Pure crystallized turn-of-the-Century Zeitgeist.  Like listening to a favorite song, I remember where I was and what I was doing when I first read "America is at that awkward stage...."

I get all full of nostalgia, and start counting on my fingers the number of copies I bought of that book, after giving my previous copy to a friend.

I know I'm being sentimental, but I can't be the only one. (not if the used book prices I see on the net are any guide)   People haven't stopped reading Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" either, and he hasn't updated it in quite a while.

Don't Shoot the Bastards (Yet) needs to stay in print, too.  If only because of its title.  Generated alot of interest when I was passing that around the office.  :o  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up