The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alas Babylon  (Read 2399 times)

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
Alas Babylon
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:15 am »

I guess I was behind the times by not reading this years ago.  I got the mp3 book off Amazon for $10 and paperback $10.26  I believe it was written in 1959 and still it was very interesting.  It's about nuclear war with Russia but that is such a small part of the book that it's not worth mentioning.  The setting is in Florida and shows the dynamics between families, races, haves and have nots, locals and outsiders.  The flow of the book is nice and easy to read.  I highly recommend this book.  It's rated #4 in Science-fiction and fantasy.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Alas+Babylon&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AAlas+Babylon
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.

StillaGhost

Re: Alas Babylon
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:25:34 pm »

Pat Frank's pivotal work , the title being extracted from Revelations 18:10. Fort Repose was based on the city and surrounding terrain of Mount Dora Florida.

Read his other work if you get a chance , Forbidden Area and Hold Back The Night being very good.

Along with Phillip Wiley's Triumph and Neville Shute's On The Beach being along with Alas Babylon the quintessential " end of the world " novels.

Might want to peruse " Farnham's Freehold " by Heinlein too.........
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:45:39 pm by StillaGhost »
Pages: [1]   Go Up