The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lessons from the Murder of Eric Garner  (Read 2202 times)

Silver

• thrivalist
Lessons from the Murder of Eric Garner
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:53:36 pm »

A remarkable event: (some) police might actually be held responsible for killing a mundane.

Even more remarkable - a thoughtful and articulate defense lawyer is tracking the case, and providing very useful commentary.

Be warned: Don't comment on his blog unless you have something quite intelligent to say - he does not tolerate fools, and in this arena, most of us are fools. 

But do read, and learn.

Peace,

Silver

NYPD Kills Eric Garner on Video (Update)

Eric Garnerís Killing: The Mindset Is The Issue

The Chokehold Comes After A Lethal Move

Korben

Re: Lessons from the Murder of Eric Garner
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:28 am »

:ph34r:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:13:23 pm by Korben »

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 06:02:28 am »

What killed Eric Garner wasn't a chokehold it was a gang of cops on his back as they cuffed him behind his back. It's the same thing that killed the disabled boy in the movie theater a while back. Overweight people can't be on their stomach most of all with pressure on their back. It compresses their stomach into their diaphragm and heart causing both their lungs and heart to be compressed beyond the point of function. However that isn't the root cause.

The root cause was the deadly combination of ego and fear. These officers ego can't stand resistance to their authority thus an arrest had to be made, and their fear of a big black man caused the excessive force that lead to his death.

Hey, that's pretty good.  That qualifies as something intelligent to say.  Not in a legal sense, but in a logical sense.  Legalism and logic are rarely related.  99.999% of the time they aren't even in the same ballpark, or town, for that matter.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »

Thats two great comments.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Silver

• thrivalist
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »

As Attorney Greenfield pointed out in the third blog post,

The chokehold may be lethal, but nowhere as lethal as the decision to turn a peaceable interaction into the use of force.  This is the most lethal, harmful thing police do, and no meaningful discussion of why Eric Garner had to die can be had if this isnít understood.

Let me extend this just a little bit:

Whomever called the police because a van was white made the decision to apply lethal force.  In this case a dog was murdered.

Someone was willing to have the mother of a nine-year old girl killed for being left to play - at a playground.  They settled for having the mother assaulted, robbed, and caged.

The neighbor who called police because she saw a mother walking to college classes without her kids was thrilled to have the family destroyed and the kids sexually molested.

Never call the police for any reason.  This is not some subtle libertarian point about NAP.  Every single time someone calls the police, they start a chain of events that can and all to often does lead to murder.  It's that simple.  The decision to use lethal force begins with a 911 call.

Peace,

Silver

Korben

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:42:51 pm »

:ph34r:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:12:56 pm by Korben »

Adam Ruff

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:50:13 pm »

Never call the police for any reason.  This is not some subtle libertarian point about NAP.  Every single time someone calls the police, they start a chain of events that can and all to often does lead to murder.  It's that simple.  The decision to use lethal force begins with a 911 call.

Peace,

Silver

I have to agree with you here Silver. At this point in my life, and as I look back on them, all the interactions I have had with police have been negative and some of them quite dangerous. Even when I called them for good reason it generally turned out negative for me and everyone else. Nowadays I do not call the police under any circumstances. If it is a life threatening situation I defend myself or others as necessary but I do not call the police. They are way too prone to violence and too quick to escalate situations that could be resolved peacefully. A prime example of this is the murder of Eric Garner. There was no reason whatsoever for those cops to do anything other than perhaps hand him a citation. No excuse at all for them putting their hands on him. It was their attitude, poor judgement, and their bloated egos that created the situation that led to the murder of Eric Garner.

It is the attitudes of police in general which has led me and probably a lot of people to shun them completely. I want nothing to do with them ever for any reason nowadays. A few years back I was taking the opportunity any time I saw a cop to hand him or her OathKeeper info which I kept with me and I would talk to them. After my last encounter with the police chief in my town though I have stopped doing it. The chief and one other officer pulled up to park right next to me at a restaurant. I grabbed my Oathkeeper cards and got out to hand one to each of them. I took one look at the chief and he looked back at me with such malevolence in his eyes that I said nothing, I just turned away, put the cards back in my pocket, and walked away from them as fast as I could. Since then I just avoid them as best I can. I got pulled over once for expired registration and the cop had such a condescending, shitty, bullying, attitude with me that I was just disgusted in general. He tried to intimidate me which doesn't work but I hate it so much I am tempted to raise my voice and get in his face which will get him to go violent like a light switch and probably try to hurt or kill me. So my brain prevents me from matching his condescension and saying to him what I really think and so all I wanted was to get him away from me as quickly as possible before I lost my temper. I have never liked bullies and bad cops are the worst bullies of all.

I wish I could say I was still trying to reach out to cops but to be honest I no longer do. They literally get away with murder now and nothing is done about it. All the way up the chain of command the police attitude is that they are our masters, we are all liars and criminals, and they have the authority to do whatever they want. Even in the most egregious cases of blatant murder caught on video the cops are seldom even charged with a crime and they are virtually never convicted. That tells me all I need to know about our government and police force. They murdered Eric Garner and Kelly Thomas on video and they walked away free men so that means the courts and AG's condone it and support it. There is no justice in the USA, we live in a brutal police state banana republic where the thugs and their masters have no rules. They are all like mini Caligula's running amok and we all have to hope none of them notice us or pick us out of the crowd for special attention.
Pages: [1]   Go Up