The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Game Hunting 2018  (Read 507 times)

knobster

• Come and take!
Wild Game Hunting 2018
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:28:07 am »

Yes indeed!  Time to start thinking about this!  Opening day for Iowa bow hunting is the 1st of October.  Youth season actually starts the middle of September and my son is anxious to get out into the forest.  He talks big but when it's time to 'walk the walk' I suspect he may not pull the trigger.  He has a tender heart for animals which I certainly won't fault him for.  I just enjoy being out there with him.

I've been out a handful of times to get some arrow time in.  I'm in the kill zone for 20 and 30 yard shots but I would like to get accurate out to 50 yards.  Majority of deer will be 30 yards and closer but I would like to be confident out to 50 if I need to take those longer shots.  It's amazing though - the few times I've shot out to 50 yards there is a good 2 seconds before the arrow hits the target.  A deer could move pretty far in 2 seconds...  Will need to make sure there is zero wind and the deer is happily munching on food when I let fly.

Also working on the main deer stand with my buddy.  It was 8 years old and some of the wood was starting to rot.  We tore out the old walls and have the main floor braces in place now.  Plan is to put in walls complete with insulation and a better roof.  Main goal is to be able to sit out there all day during shotgun season in December without freezing to death!

Good luck to us all this season!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up