The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ? About Petroleum Prices  (Read 3867 times)

RVM45

? About Petroleum Prices
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:23:57 pm »

Friends,

They were discussing fuel prices in the "Gulching Sub-Forum" and I started to ask this question there but then thought that it was more appropriate here.

Premise #1} The Current Economy is a stack of cards that has already lived well past its probable life expectancy.

Premise #2} At some Threshold Price an increase in Gasoline Prices could very well be the Watershed Event that starts the Avalanche.

This seems self evident to me—but not only will individuals have to cut their spending in other areas simply to buy gasoline; but transportation and production prices will also reflect the rise in the cost of Gas, Diesel, Petroleum, etc.

Obviously what Price per Barrel of Crude or Per Gallon of Gasoline represents a sort of Rubicon will change as the dollar devalues and other factors wax and wane…

But as things stand now:

Is there a Price per Barrel/Gallon that would make y'all start donning your life jackets? And can you explain your reasoning a bit?

Thanks.

…..RVM45
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Re: ? About Petroleum Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »

Here's the thing about that:

Oil and gas companies aren't losing money at the price oil and gas are selling right now.  They're making less than they'd like to, sure.  Some of them are laying off employees, and some of the business that support the oil and gas industry (engineering and construction companies included) are having to do the same.

When oil prices were really high, the energy companies were spending a lot of money on expansion projects.  They were drilling new wells, building new compressor stations, building and upgrading refineries, laying new pipelines, and building new tank farms to hold all of the things they were pulling out of the ground.

With oil prices down, they'll complete the projects they already have in the works, but if it's not profitable to produce, they'll lower production.  Some of the smaller companies in the industry may fail, but the industry as a whole will hang in there.  With production lowered, there will be less to go around, demand will stay the same, or more likely go up, and the supply will dwindle.  As it does, the prices will go back up, it will become profitable to produce again, and as production increases, expansion will start again.

In the short term, things may start to get a little tight in the industry itself and the businesses that exist solely to support the industry, but in the long term, it's not going anywhere.  In the really long term, a viable alternative form of energy may be found, but with the sheer amount of oil and gas out there to be pulled out of the ground, I'm not going to hold my breath.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:55:25 pm by securitysix »
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »

Premise #1 - agreed.

Premise #2 - while it is a true statement, that seems rather unlikely right now.  Precisely because of the years of free money and insane Zero Rate Interest Policy (ZIRP) there is a huge excess capacity in oil and gas right now.

Austrian economics predicts exactly this outcome.  Those investments with the longest time horizon are most susceptible to the false signals given by excess credit and artificially low interest rates.  Oil and gas wells take decades from exploration to production.  We have several years of excess capacity in both currently producing wells and wells that have been located but not advanced to production stage. 

Oil is an extractable resource, so eventually we'll use up the current glut, and then the price will rise as supply starts to fall below demand.  But that will probably not happen for at least 2-3 years, and perhaps many more.

While anything is possible, the most probable outcome is that oil and gas prices will stay depressed for years.  A hyperinflation or general high inflation could raise their dollar price, but that would make it hard to point to a tipping point for fuel prices to knock down the house of cards.

Something will pop this bubble, but seeing the sharp end of the pin in advance is extremely difficult.

Peace,

Silver

DiabloLoco

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:00:23 am »

I'm kinda wondering.......

With the recent tension and severing of diplomatic ties between Saudi Arabia and Iran, what the effects will be on the oil markets?

Thoughts?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/asia-stocks-start-2016-weak-note-middle-east-030248559--finance.html

Saudi Arabia said Sunday it is severing diplomatic relations with Iran, a development that could potentially threaten oil supply. The world's largest oil supplier executed a prominent Shiite cleric that prompted protesters to set fire to the Saudi Embassy in Tehran and Iran's top leader to criticize Saudi Arabia.

"Oil markets will be concerned that this could be an incremental step in a deteriorating political situation that might ultimately threaten world oil supply," Ric Spooner, chief analyst at CMC Markets, said in a commentary.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:13:26 am »

I'm kinda wondering.......

With the recent tension and severing of diplomatic ties between Saudi Arabia and Iran, what the effects will be on the oil markets?

Since the US is now an oil exporter, I don't expect the mid east thing to affect America's supply much right away. What it could do to world prices is anyone's guess, of course, but if the price increases much our own supply will likely be sold elsewhere. Which would stimulate more production, of course... well, absent heavy handed meddling from government, naturally.  Since there are so many unknown and unknowable factors, I guess we won't know until it happens.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »

Worf: Captain, we show no damage from the Borg weapon!

Data: That is confirmed, Captain.  The weapon is designed to drain our shields.

There is no recent tension.  Saudi has resented and hated the ascendant power in Tehran for decades.  The Sunni/Shia sectarian hatred is much older than the House of Saud.  It is a useful tool for despots: fan the flames of religious hatred to distract and direct the mob.  The vast majority of Iranians are Shia; the princes of Saud are Sunni.

The "tension" is an elaborate pantomine, and like most such performances its nuances are easily overlooked.

The primary purpose of the pantomine is to demonstrate the strength, control, and resolve of the current power behind the throne.  Saudi is officially led by an 80+ year old dotard.  His 30 year-old son, the minister of war, is flexing his muscles.

Saudi would like nothing better than to give American congressthings another excuse to scuttle the recent US rapprochement with Iran.  That would help preserve the rule of the Saudi tyrants.

But the young prince's display was also the mistake of a stupid, ignorant hot head.  War is already upon the middle east.  He may have thought to help bring his US ally to bear on Iran, but that seems unlikely to happen.

It's plain enough that all the middle east oil powers must pump as much as they can to maintain their slipping grasp on political power.  Maintaining 5,000 princes in the style to which they are accustomed is expensive!  Keeping the pathetic promises made to the masses will soon be impossible.  Tehran, Baghdad, Tripoli, all the regimes must pump as fast as they can even though the strategy of pumping slowly now to have oil left to pump when the price goes back up would produce far more revenue in the long run.

The tension is not about the price of oil, at least not directly, and it won't directly affect the price. 

The question that faces us in the US is whether there is anything in any of the middle east shitholes worth the tip of a single American soldier's pinky finger.  The answer is increasingly clear: there is nothing.  Leave them to rot and squabble.  We can pump our own oil if need be, and rely on market forces to keep the middle east oil flowing until they blow each other up. 

Good riddance.  The oil will still be in the ground, and when some stable civil society emerges from the ashes, they can trade access to that resource for the capital and expertise to extract it.  It worked before.

Peace,

Silver

DiabloLoco

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:00 pm »

Saudi would like nothing better than to give American congressthings another excuse to scuttle the recent US rapprochement with Iran.  That would help preserve the rule of the Saudi tyrants.

But the young prince's display was also the mistake of a stupid, ignorant hot head.  War is already upon the middle east.  He may have thought to help bring his US ally to bear on Iran, but that seems unlikely to happen.

What if Iran and the Saudi's try to force the US to choose a side? I can almost guarantee that if the US (Obama) will refuse to choose a side, prompting a response from the Saudi's.......Depegging from the US dollar, effectively killing the petrodollar. Game over.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:48:47 pm by DiabloLoco »

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:37:44 pm »

The breakup of the petrodollar is already underway.  The Yaun is now a reserve currency. Part of the petrodollar deal was the Sauds keeping things stable and orderly.  The US killed that part (literally, a million times over) in Iraq, Libya, now Syria.  The house of Saud is having a steadily harder time keeping a lid on their own understandably upset underclass. 

Sure the Sauds will try to pressure the US, and granted that Bombya couldn't strategize escaping from a dead fish in a phone booth.  A sudden breakdown of dollar-denominated oil sales would be at least as tough on the Sauds as the US, and arguably a lot moreso.

So the game is changing, perhaps quickly, but I don't think it is over.  I doubt that the mass execution that deliberately provoked the current unrest will have any material impact on the price of oil.  I've been wrong many times before.  We'll see.

Peace,

Silver

DiabloLoco

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »

Wowser! :thrshocker:

US oil settles down $1.75, or 5.28%, at $31.41 a barrel

U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude settled at $31.41 a barrel, down $1.75, or 5.28, having early fallen to $31.88, an intraday low going back to December 2003.

Brent crude futures were down by $1.99 at $31.56 a barrel, after falling to the lowest level since April 2004.

The markets are positioned in a way where "traders are afraid to be long," said Clayton Vernon, a trader and economist with Aquivia LLC in New Jersey. "The firm push for normalization with Iran has taken the last shred of geopolitical risk out of traders' minds."

The European Union said on Monday that the lifting of sanctions on Iran could come soon, following a deal last year to curb the Middle East nation's nuclear program. Many market participants that Iran's return to the oil markets would add more pressure to the global glut that has knocked prices from more than $100 in mid-2014.

Goldman Sachs analysts, who have also said oil could hit $20 a barrel, said in a note on Friday that sustained lower prices were needed in the first quarter "so producers will move budgets down to reflect $40 a barrel oil for 2016."

Oil prices have fallen over 70 percent since the downturn began in mid-2014 as soaring global production sees hundreds of thousands of barrels of crude produced every day without a buyer.

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »

There's something you guys are missing.  It happens when people get myopically focused on their perceived enemy.

King Saud put a LOT of cash into a fairly large research town (as in the largest of its kind.)  Apparently the saudis aren't as stupid as the west, and are trying to diversify into new energy research.  What are we doing in the process?  Making religious excuses for why the status quo is the only way stuff could possibly go down.

I know this because I've been noticing lots of PHD research jobs come up out there.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »

There's something you guys are missing.  It happens when people get myopically focused on their perceived enemy.

Whahuh? My enemy? :laugh:

I'm just following the news and posting it as written. Enemy? Nah.... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:57:35 pm by DiabloLoco »

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 11:13:04 am »

Whahuh? My enemy? :laugh:

I'm just following the news and posting it as written. Enemy? Nah.... :rolleyes:

C'mon bro, I expect more from you.  Latching onto a word and missing the point isn't it.

Enemy.  In this scenario = illuminati, corrupt, power hungry scumbags, centralized control schemes, etc.  Plug that into the above equations.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 02:25:44 pm »

C'mon bro, I expect more from you.  Latching onto a word and missing the point isn't it.

Enemy.  In this scenario = illuminati, corrupt, power hungry scumbags, centralized control schemes, etc.  Plug that into the above equations.
Ok. I thought that you were referring to me personally. Please expand/explain. I would love to hear your thoughts. :thumbsup:

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:55 pm »

My only question about the gas taxx, is does it really cost 55 cents a gallon to maintain the road infrastructure.  If not where is all that money going?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 05:34:28 am »

My only question about the gas taxx, is does it really cost 55 cents a gallon to maintain the road infrastructure.  If not where is all that money going?

The gas tax has been stolen for a very long time for all sorts of things politicians love. They use it to build "bike lanes," and all kinds of "beautification" projects. And I'm quite sure plenty of it goes into deep black holes and legislator's pockets.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up