The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Cutting Power: Designing Bladed Tools and Weapons  (Read 1580 times)

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
The Art of Cutting Power: Designing Bladed Tools and Weapons
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:11:51 pm »

There are 3 main components to cutting. There are force, sharpness, and the angles of the tool which determine the efficacy of the blade in follow-through. A bladed tool or weapon is more efficient when it is thin and heavy. So finding a happy medium between weight and volume is paramount to designing a good blade. It should not be so heavy as to cause fatigue from repeated cutting, but not so light as to have to be muscled into the cutting action (with the exceptions of small blades such as pocket knives, or chisels for which the weight and force is in the mallet). The metal used to make the blade should be taken into account here. Bronzes are heavier than steel by about 3x. A work-hardened arsenical bronze will hold an edge comparable to medium steel. And a medium steel comparable to stainless steel.

Sharpness is a very important factor. The ideal blade edge is 40o or less. The blade's geometry will have an effect on sharpness. It will take less work the thinner the blade and the thinner the edge, but you have to consider the weight too. Don't make the metal too thin or you risk it breaking in the heat treatment or later when working with it. The knife blade type I most recommend is a chisel beveled blade with a 20o bevel and edge. I recommend making this out of a very resilient metal so that when working, if the blade twists, it will not chip the edge or shatter. So spring steels, classical bronze, a modern bronze such as one with 12% Tin+10% Silver+R Copper. If you use any Antimony in the bronze to retain the edge in place of arsenic, be sure to use very little as too much will make the alloy brittle.

If I survive, I will  spend my whole life at the oven door seeing that no one is denied bread  and, so as to give a lesson of charity, especially those who did not  bring flour. ~Jose Marti

Write in such a way as  that you can be readily understood by both the young and the old, by men  as well as women, even by children. ~Ho Chi Minh

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: The Art of Cutting Power: Designing Bladed Tools and Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »

Kukhri, Grosse Messer, are probably the best balanced for general chopping and bashing.  Katana comes next.  Compact nastiness is a khukri, I good shot can go thru something as thick as its blade is long.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up