The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: books for kids  (Read 760 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
books for kids
« on: November 03, 2015, 04:49:27 pm »

There might be a thread, but I'm too tuckered out to look...

I frequently ask the kiddos what kind of subject they are interested in reading about so I can pick up a book at the library for them. Today DS said he would like a book about how he could make money! I'm not specifically looking for a "sound money" learning type of book (though that would be good to purchase for later use) but rather a book for young kids with ideas on how to earn money.

Thoughts/recommendations?
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
Re: books for kids
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:16:42 am »

I can't think of any such books at the moment, but will search a bit.

The question of how a young child can make money involves a lot of local knowledge and constraints that could make it difficult to find a book you would approve.

The local economy, what activities you would permit, local authorities, attitude of neighbors, all matter.  What worked for me growing up in a suburb wouldn't do at all for a kid in the city or in a truly rural area.  My grandfather trapped small animals and sold their pelts through the mail when he was growing up on an isolated farm. I baby sat, cut grass, and painted houses growing up in the suburbs.  My grandfather taught me about trapping but also refused to let me set anything more lethal than a box trap, lest I kill someone's pet.  An 8-year old boy using a power mower or climbing ladders was commonplace in those days. In some places today it would invite a raid by CPS. 

Rather than a book, you might be the best expert.  Think of as many ways for DS to make money as you can, present the ones you feel most appropriate at this stage, see what he chooses, and find where his talents lie.

Good luck!  Not everyone is going to make a good entrepreneur, or salesman, or manager, but we all have to learn how to make our way in this world.

Peace,

Silver
Pages: [1]   Go Up