The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Divided We Fall  (Read 1953 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Divided We Fall
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:04:13 pm »

Divided We Fall by Trent Reedy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2Q26S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_

What would you do, if you had fired the first shot of the next Revolution/Civil War in America? What if you were a 17 yr. old High School Senior already enrolled in the Idaho State National Guard? This is the premise of the book Divided We Fall. It is a young adult novel, but I believe a good story is ageless.

In it we follow along with Daniel Wright as he deal with issues he can barely handle as an inexperienced young adult. As he agonized with the fact he made that first shot that start a war that'll end up getting a lot of people dead. Dealing with being... basically Public Enemy Number One in an America that wants his hide. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

For a YA novel, it's actually a pretty good story. However, despite the author having been in the National Guard himself, he makes the newbie mistake of mixing up clips for mags. So, there you go. Despite this, it is still a good story.

Just finished the first book of a trilogy, and am into the second chapter of the second book.

Recommendation: Get it.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Re: Divided We Fall
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:50:34 pm »

Just finished the 2nd book: "Burning Nation" a couple of days ago. A good book in the trilogy, but after reading it, it gave me a feeling it's an interim "chapter" of the saga. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good book, with some important development to know about.

It's about an older teen named Danny Wright who had joined his state's National Guard unit just before his High School's senior year. He ended up firing The First Shot of a war that leads to his state, Idaho, to independence from the rest of the United States, after a crisis that came out of a Protest against a universal ID Card Act. Without which nobody would be allowed normal economic interactions.

The second book deals with the ongoing tribulations of Danny Wright and his friends as they deal with having the Federal government as an enemy. And how the enemy deals with Danny Wright and his friends. It shows how Danny deals with being "responsible" for so many lives affected by the war. Also shows how the war affect Danny's friends. It also introduces another "aspect" of the war, an organization called the Brotherhood, without which the Idaho government forces would have trouble, or are they merely a new layer of trouble?

Recommendation: Get it, primarily it will have important developments in order to understand the third book in the trilogy. Because I haven't seen the third book yet, it remains to be seen if you can skip this book. Once I read that book, I may return to this entry and change my recommendation. However I did enjoy this book for the developments.

S.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:25:42 am »

That "first shot" was unintentional. Booger hook on bang button (and safety off) when it shouldn't have been. Fortunately, he was following rule 2 at the time, so nobody was hurt. But that shot encouraged others to shoot.

Easy read. Enjoyed it. Not sure I'm going to spring for volume two, but I might.

https://billstclair.com/safetyrules.html
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:27 am »

Hmpf! Typical mistake by someone who obviously don't know enough about guns. What can you expect from a writer who mistake clips with mags? If this guy was truly trained to be a soldier in the National Guard, it doesn't speak well, of the kind of training the Guards get now, does it? Perhaps they haven't even heard of Cooper's Laws of Gun Handling, or worse, don't care.

S.

RVM45

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »

Friends,

Back in the mid 70's the Gun Magazines made a point of Distinguishing between "Clips" and "Magazines" but even some knowledgeable folk would slip occasionally.

Nowadays it is considered a huge Faux Pas to confuse the two. I make it a point never to slip myself because who wants to be thought that ignorant…

But I wonder why it matters that much.

People often say "Automatic" as in ".45 Automatic" or "Browning Automatic Shotgun" when they mean "Semi-Automatic"…

For years I thought that it was only proper to use the term "Pistol" for Semiautomatic Handguns but a knowledgeable Friend went all the way back to Sam Colt's original Patents to convince me that Revolvers were "Pistols" too.

{When I was a boy I looked up "Chess" in the encyclopedia it said that "Rook" was the preferred term but some folks called them "Castles". I got some very scornful looks from Chess Players fifteen years later because I would call a Rook a "Castle" maybe once in fifty times. Once again—who gives a shit?}

But I get what you're saying, confusing "Clip" with "Magazine" in today's world is indicative of great ignorance.

…..RVM45
There are only Two Types of People in the World:

A.} Folks who are after my Guns;

And;

B.} Folks who Are Not after my Guns.

Nothing Else Matters.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »

It's one thing to be strictly a writer and not know anything about guns, but this guy did claim to be in the National Guard, should've know at least the basics.

S.

casca-503

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:21 am »

just 'cause  they's got  a uniform....don't mean they know shit.....just  like  most   law  persons  /   female  or male....

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 10:06:46 am »

Just finished the third book in the trilogy. The title is "The Last Full Measure".

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Full-Measure-Divided-Fall/dp/0545548772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464934463&sr=8-1&keywords=The+last+full+measure

Danny and friends decided to join a select group of people fleeing the tyranny of the very racist Brotherhood. They went somewhere they feel will allow them to sit out the war without anybody else knowing about it. Afterward they ran into something they felt they couldn't let by. The result led them to do something about the war.

I've felt the ending is a bit anti-climatic but a pretty logical way to go. Since it is a kid's book it of course have the ending led by a still teenager.

A good book but you could still get away with just reading the first book and believe they all live happily after after. I read it for completeness. However I believe kids would enjoy having the entire serie.

S.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:15:22 am by S. Jester »

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 01:19:06 am »

I would also suggest reading this book for one or two new ideas about new combat "developments", mainly involving drones. Both as a method and for coming up with counter-measures. I don't want to give away too much in fear of not letting you have the pleasure of discovering them yourselves.

S.

Pages: [1]   Go Up