The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walden on Wheels  (Read 1064 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Walden on Wheels
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:35:58 pm »

I admit that I haven't read the original Walden. The book Walden on Wheels is one young man's journey to deal with getting out of debt and staying out of debt while going to Duke University. A university that apparently even the upper class kids go into large debt to attend.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/054402883X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=054402883X&linkCode=as2&tag=livifree07-20

This guy, Ken Igunas, has found himself at the end of his undergraduate career with over $30,000 in debt with a lousy job market. So he managed to find a low skilled job in Coldfoot, Alaska that allowed him to plug away his debt. While he's there, he "explored" the area which he ended up enjoying being in.

He wrote very philosophic at times, wrote about the condition of the youth in seeking jobs, meaning and finding their place in the world. All of which leads to his Vandwelling, a new term that means "living in a Van" or similar vehicle. He seems to be the first to live in a Van while going to college as he has researched and tried to find someone who have done it before. He contacted some people who have live in vehicles but not while going to college.

A little over half the book dealt with his getting out of debt, all of which leads to his "Vandwelling Experiment" as he puts it. He deals with the small space of the van, the lack of running water, often no heat during the winter, and hygiene. A good view that shows what one can expect from living in a Van.

A very interesting book to read. I've had my eye on this for some time, finally getting a copy when Amazon offered to let me borrow the book in their Prime library benefit. This is a book to be given to high school kids, so they can "see" what their college years and first working years will be like, as well as to see what it will cost them to go to college.

Recommendation: Get the book, if the subject interest you, then give to a young person warning them what they may face.

S.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:23:48 am by S. Jester »
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]   Go Up