The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTRABAND update!!!  (Read 2927 times)

BlackVelvetJesus

CONTRABAND update!!!
« on: December 07, 2003, 06:08:24 am »

Hey again folks -

This is an update on the CONTRABAND controversy. I've read a lot of the responses on these boards and even in Claire's blog and I decided that, no matter what course of action I took, I would get an official response on the status of the book.

I spoke with our brigade's legal guy and, though he's no damn good as a door gunner, he knows his job inside and out. We talked over the content of "101 Things..." and he supplied me with the official list of what is and is not contraband. Apparently recent revisions have somehow neglected to mention literature. Word around the campfire is that the primary concern is the transport of "seriously dangerous" literature (like Iraq's well-known technical manual "How to Build Invisible WMDs.") The legal guy put it this way:

"If we're talking about step-by-step instructions on how to destroy the country or something like that, it might raise an issue. My advice is to go for it. Take the book. Carry it on your person as you outprocess."

"And what is they try to confiscate it? I'll be damned if I let them..." I replied.

The normally meek legal guy sat up straight and said, "If they try to take it, you notify the chain of command immediately. We're not going to let them take away our soldiers' property or rights without a fight."

It made my whole week to hear it. So I've decided to do it. I'll carry the book with me. There's a little provocateur in me that WANTS the MPs to try and take it. An arguement with an MP is a rare pleasure, and a legal battle while I've still got free lawyers would be fun. But the reasonable side of me thinks that it'll be okay. There may still be some hope for those few precious freedoms that soldiers haven't already given up or had taken from them.

Thanks to all of you for your comments, advice and support. I am especially grateful to the person who mentioned Michael New. Learning his story reminded me why I need to get out. The Army needs to stick to its word and defend the American people and the Constitution.

Out here.
BVJ

Plumber

CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 11:23:48 am »

My first post, but I have been lurking, reading this topic.

First off, thank you for your service to our country.

Second, good luck in your fight. There is no doubt what is right. The idiot, that told you no, may have been just reacting to the title of the book.

Please keep us informed on the situation. As the story goes (paraphrase), "they came for the jews, but I was not a jew so I did nothing....when they came for me no one was left to stand up"

-Plumber

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 06:01:11 pm »

"We're not going to let them take away our soldiers' property or rights without a fight."

Whew! BVJ I'm so glad to hear it. (Of course, I'm also slightly sorry if 101 isn't a step-by-step manual for how to dismantle the government. Oh well.  ;)  )

I'm going to be leaving these boards for a while, so I'm glad to go out with this happy ending. I'll ask Debra to let me know if you post any further developments.

Thanks for what you're doing.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 06:07:44 pm »

Claire, I think we could confide the dismantling to the government itself. They'll gladly take care of it, presuming to do something entirely different. Maybe your next book will be"101 Steps Out Of the Mess the Government Made" ... ;-)
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

david_g17

CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2003, 01:04:20 am »

dang it.  i was going to suggest you tear off the cover and try to glue a field manual's cover over the book ;)

Eternal_Vigilance

• Taking other people's crap since '69
CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2003, 10:27:27 pm »

Damned glad to hear it, BVJ!!! Keep your head down and come back home in one piece, OK?? If ya see my bro, tell him the same, OK? :)
Justice needs lawyers like true love needs a pimp!

atek3

CONTRABAND update!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 04:08:20 pm »

jesus, can you mention where you are in iraq roughly without breaking lots of rules?

atek3
Pages: [1]   Go Up