The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 acres and a little more freedom  (Read 15384 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: 3 acres and a little more freedom
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 11:01:05 am »

I think a lot has to do with the type and size of the dog.

people with small dogs keep them inside most of the time.
those with large dogs keep them outside.

Has far more to do with the people, I think. :) All my dogs have been large, until I got the corgis. :) The dog the kids grew up with was 1/2 Rottweiler and 1/2 black Labrador. He weighed about 90 pounds. `
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 07:54:26 am »

Greetings fellow TMMers.  It was a very busy holiday season for the knobster household.  On the 22nd of December my SHW and I signed a 6-inch stack of papers and were handed a set of keys and garage door openers.  We then proceeded (with a few brave friends in tow) to unpack and organize our new house for the next couple of weeks.  My employer has a 'winter shutdown' from Christmas Eve until a day after New Years so I took full advantage of the time off to get the house in order.  I think we are 98.7% unpacked and 73.2% organized now.  The garage is a mess but with the temps in the single digits I won't be spending too much time in there just yet.

The land is simply amazing.  Huge 2-acre yard that is very flat and just begging for an orchard and berry patch.  The 1-acre of woods connects to a large tract of public land that is only accessible to those private owners who surround it.  The closest house is about 1/2 mile away and at night it is dark!  I've been out in the woods making a few changes.  Previous owners didn't do a thing back there so I've been removing brambles, cutting out scrub trees, clearing deadfall and just enjoying God's creation.  Even in the heart of winter the amount of wildlife is amazing out there.  I imagine spring will be fun indeed!  On New Year's Day we headed to the back yard and did some shooting.  I bought my two girls bb guns which they had fun using and my wife broke in her S&W snub-nosed 38spc.  She had great fun using it and the recoil wasn't bad at all for her.  After shooting we wandered the 100 feet back to the house.  Ah... sweet, sweet freedom.

Stay tuned as the spring/summer will be bringing in all sorts of projects.  I'll share all the stories (good, bad and the hilarious) with you all!

See pic attached of my three kids in the 'backyard'.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 08:11:06 am »

I'm so glad for you, knobster! How exciting to have that opportunity, especially if you are coming from a city. Looking forward to reading much more about your adventures. :)

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »

Congrats on the new place!

I bought my two girls bb guns which they had fun using

I hope (and I'm sure) you're teaching those kids to handle those BB guns just like they are firearms.  If they learn to respect that BB guns are not toys (no matter how fun they are), that's one bad habit you won't have to break them of when you graduate them to the next step.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 07:01:58 am »

I hope (and I'm sure) you're teaching those kids to handle those BB guns just like they are firearms.  If they learn to respect that BB guns are not toys (no matter how fun they are), that's one bad habit you won't have to break them of when you graduate them to the next step.

Yes sir.  I am teaching them all the usual gun safety stuff.  They are 8 and 10 and really have fun with the rules.  "Safety is on daddy!  Finger is off the trigger!  Muzzle is pointed up!"  My son was a little bit harder to train and I find that I must continue to reign him in.  On more than one occasion I've had to put a stop to all shooting when he starts to get too excited.  I guess it's the adventurous vein that runs in most men...

But I agree completely.  If people learn the rules and respect for a bb gun then that naturally falls into place when handling something bigger.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:43 am »

I think that kids should  be taught to follow Cooper's Four Rules of Gun Safety even with toy guns. Prevents the kid from being shot when his toy is mistaken for the real thing.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:46 am »

Prevents the kid from being shot when his toy is mistaken for the real thing.

Might, and might not. Depends on where you are. The cops don't always seem to understand the rules to start with.

heyoka

• flunked out of Freedom University
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 09:36:29 am »

I think that kids should  be taught to follow Cooper's Four Rules of Gun Safety even with toy guns. Prevents the kid from being shot when his toy is mistaken for the real thing.
+1
Three is not enough and ten are too many to remember.
If one of The Four is cranially flatulated, but the rest are adhered to, odds are the results will be more unpleasant surprise than tragic.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. - Groucho Marx

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:08 am »

Picked up a single-bladed axe last week and used it to fell a couple of dead trees - each were 5-7 feet long just sticking out of the ground as the tops had long ago fallen off.  Most were... about 6 inches in diameter so I got quite the workout swinging that axe!

Learned a new term regarding timber cutting: widow-maker.  I've noticed a few of those out in my forest that I'll need to carefully assess how best to bring them down.  For now I'll point them out to my family to ensure they avoid those areas.

Last Saturday I built a fire in the wood burning stove and kept it going all day.  We have a propane furnace as our primary heating source but the stove provided most of the heat for at least half the day!  I kept the fire going all day with only 15 pieces of wood.  Since I'm quite cautious by nature I checked the fire every 15-20 minutes so that was the only downside.  Hard to work on other projects with so many interruptions.  I'm teaching my son what to do regarding the fire so that should soon free up my time.

Who...me?

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 12:46:00 pm »

I suggest you start using flagging tape as you explore your property.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagging_(tape)

Use different colors to denote different things, like pink means danger stay away, orange means to be harvested and so forth.  Widow makers and rotten trees are very dangerous to anyone who happens to be in the woods when it gets windy.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 07:28:15 am »

I suggest you start using flagging tape as you explore your property.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagging_(tape)

Use different colors to denote different things, like pink means danger stay away, orange means to be harvested and so forth.  Widow makers and rotten trees are very dangerous to anyone who happens to be in the woods when it gets windy.

:laugh:
Just bought some the other day.  I actually only bought one color though to mark the trees I want to harvest.  But your idea of different colors is good; I'll pick up a couple more.

heyoka

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:27 am »

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. - Groucho Marx

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 09:04:17 am »

What is that, heyoka?

heyoka

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 09:51:48 am »

a color code  :laugh:

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:55 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up