The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Stay Sane  (Read 17755 times)

Alton Speers

How To Stay Sane
« on: March 15, 2005, 07:51:39 am »

The first tip is obvious...come to this forum. ;)
Alright! Put down the remote and step away from the TV. If you must watch TV, local news, weather and sports are ok. Other than that, dvds and tapes that YOU select are also good uses for a TV. Radios are much more useful but, in small doses.

Look for humor. Lots of good funnies on the 'net. Clean, corny, dirty, disgusting, it doesn't matter as long as you can laugh...it IS the best medicine.

Live YOUR life. Work, play, have fun and enjoy. Government, despite rumors to the contrary, DOES NOT rule the world and in particular YOUR world unless you let it. Remember, government IS an invention of the mind. It really IS an illusion. Make it someone else's fantasy today. In other words, let them worry about it.

Yes, it is attitude. This is not a mental game. It is a matter of attitude, perspective. Action? That's up to you. I occasionally and quite intentionally break the law regularly and when convenient. It's good for the soul and keeps life exciting. I am NOT recommending that you do the same. That is a choice that YOU alone can and must make. I don't plunder, pillage, rape and murder, I leave that to the government. I don't cheat or lie on my tax forms either. I speed, run lights, turn right on red when prohibited, turn left on red when I can safely do so, alter my residence without permits, dump tap water on Superfund sites, fish without a license, carry a handgun without a license, engage in econoic activity without licenes and approval, download banned info and other minor stuff. I also dance on the edge of regulations and laws ignoring the intents of said legislations while adhering to the letter of the same. Drives statists and bureaucrats nuts. Resist, defy and be non-compliant whenever possible or practical.

I don't have a job per se but, I do work. I have 2 really part-time jobs...maybe 16 to 40 hrs/month if that. The rest of my time and efforts are directed toward being productive and making efficient use of resources in other ways. I don't have the "security" of a regular paycheck but, we want for nothing.

Finances? Thanks to ignorance on my part and an unwillingness to get robbed I still have a 401k. I don't have any other savings. I do, however, keep my wealth stored in other ways with a sufficient degree of liquidity that allows for "big ticket" purchases by way of cash. No, I don't have any credit cards, personal loans, second mortgages or any of the other financial trappings of modern Americans. I do have a mortgage which I keep just for the deduction. It will be paid off by the end of this decade (5 years). If the economy does tank I might pay it off sooner. I'll see what my options are when/if the time comes.

Retirement? I don't plan to. I kind of like living my life now, thank you. Besides, I see no reason to make myself useless or dependent after age 65/67 or whenever it is people are supposed to retire. I work because I enjoy what I do and as long as I'm healthy and able I will continue doing just that. Besides, I really don't care for the Florida retirement village thing. besides, why should I go to Florida to see old friends when I can stay home and do it a lot cheaper?

Insurances? Just what I generally consider necessary. Death insurance (no such thing as life insurance), PLPD auto, property (we're prone to tornados here) and that expensive health insurance. Still need a way to minimize the costs of that health insurance. It's gonna get harder as we get older.

Yeah, I still have a driver's license. I went without one for two years but, the paranoia finally got to me. Maybe I'll try it again when the law gets real onerous like using biometrics or something. Oh well! never said I was perfect. :D

I really do feel much better after getting away from the TV and other media sources. My outlook has also brightened. I still keep up with what's going on just because I think it necessary to keep a finger on the pulse of the country and to not be caught unaware or worse...sleeping. The internet has become extremely useful in this regard. The net has also become useful in opening opportunities for commerce. However, I do think this will be changing soon and we are already seeing it happen.

As to the finacial aspects of life, this is pretty much where I've always been at. Despite the technical definitions, wranglings and opposing considerations I still think real money, hard money, gold or silver are the only true money for a society. yes, other items have been used that were also considered to be valuable. As long as the value is of a class of goods or commodities remains stable within a society then it could be and perhaps should be used as money. I find it interesting that the real values of gold and silver have really changed little since the opening of the last century. What has changed has been the US currency which gives the illusion that gold and silver are mere commodities and nothing else.

I also believe in having wealth and find it ultimately more important than income. YMMV. Consider it my "value prerogative". As I understand it wealth is the current value of all goods owned minus any liabilities (debts owed on those goods). The US dollar is debt as I see it and so I find no point in holding dollars. They are useful only to facilitate exchange but, they have no durable value and therefore I do not consider dollars to be a component of wealth. I may be technically wrong, however, this thinking has worked out fairly well for me. I'm not a gambler so I don't play the markets (stocks, bonds and other stuff). I simply convert my excess dollars into stuff and put that stuff aside for possible use at another time. I exchange the stuff when I have a really high probability of gaining more stuff and so my wealth grows. To me this is a good thing. Again, ymmv. I suppose I approach this stuff differently than most folks and I know I could have gained much more than I have if I would've just followed a lot of advice. then again, I didn't suffer a lot of the losses most everyone else did and I've still come out ahead.

Anyway, these are the things I do to stay sane. Yes, somedays I think it would be better to just chuck it all and go completely outlaw. Yes, there are days when it's real challenging to avoid going postal...like when reading of the many taserings or of the administrative stupidity, brutality and abuse in public schools. Getting busy doing something productive is a real good way to step away from the edge or going out and breaking some law is another good way to "get right". Either way do something for liberty everyday and multiple times a day if you can. It's better for you than Zoloft.

Alton

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 10:02:16 am »

If you must watch TV, local news, weather and sports are ok.

I am not fond of my local news.  It seems that they hype a new Threat to Your Children ™ every week.  I even avoid watching other shows, just so I don't have to see the ads for the "news" -- "Are AIDS-infected meth gangs causing childhood obesity through unsafe playground equipment and identity theft?  Our Special Report team investigates!  Find out what you need to know to keep your family safe. Tonight on Channel 12!"

Bah!

Lightning

• Heheheh...
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 10:25:44 am »

Bravo, Alton - beautiful post.   B)  
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:44:52 pm »

I do watch some occasional TV, but it's never any news shows.  I don't bother watching it because I'm tired of hearing the left-wing bias on CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC.  I don't watch Fox News because I'm tired of hearing the right wing bias.

I watch Discovery Channel, DIY Network, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, (specifically, Good Eats), QVC (only 'In the Kitchen with Bob' cuz I love kitchen gadgets) and DVD's.  Occasionally, I may watch a movie as I have all the channels (I get them free as a bennie for working for a communications company), but that is increasingly rare as movies suck nowadays, for the most part.

Admittedly, if they made a 24/7 Foghorn Leghorn channel, I'd be all over that!

Almost all of my news I get from the net.

I got a great woman in my life who in the past year that we've been dating has helped me relax and realize that I don't need to sweat the small stuff and that its ALL small stuff.  I've started making friends in the freedom community (i.e. youze guys) and avoid dealing with statists and sheeple as much as possible.

Life is good.  And its just going to get better and better.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 03:46:33 pm by Thunder »
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 01:49:07 am »

Alright! Put down the remote and step away from the TV.

Yes, somedays I think it would be better to just chuck it all and go completely outlaw.
Lightning is right, Alton, this one is another fine post by you. Thank you.

Regarding the "tv" thang, I'm a believer in John Prine's admonition to "blow up your tv". I quit having tv in my home five years ago. (I had quit watching tv several decades before that, with occasional exceptions, but I usually lived with one of the damned things in my home, and sometimes would succumb to watching it. Now I do have a tv set in my home but it has no service connection, so it can't pick up channels. I keep it here so I can study my favorite "conspiracy theory" videos and watch an occasional movie.) My take on "tv" is that they call the presented materials "programs" for a reason, lol....

Regarding the muse's temptation to "chuck it all and go completely outlaw", well, heck Mon, I did that and it ain't what we might expect. When LL and I closed our store in Georgia, I hit the trail to go off to the mountains out West and do what I could for freedom. That was in 2000. Today is now, about five years later, and I'm still doing it, and I'll just say this about that: Dude! Don't do it! It ain't time for that yet.

The best reason I would offer for not doing it has to do with "effectiveness".  E.G.: recently TMM and the TCF boards went down briefly. Why that happened can be boiled down to one thing: making payment for our space via a money order mailed by snail mail, instead of an electronic transfer as we used to do. The TMM ocifer who used to make those payments via credit card has also gone underground, and no longer can do that little trick for us. While that was not too big a problem, and while nobody died over it, it was an inconvenience and a bother to see the site go down because of the slowness of international snail mail services. (TMM's servers are not in the USA.)  

But that is just one small example which I've mentioned as a symbol for a greater reality: serious things can happen once one gets totally underground, off the grid, out of the State's corral as I presently am. With no bank account, no credit card, no insurance, no property-title, no ID, no SSN activity, no tax-paying activity, no utilities in my name, no rental lease in my name, I'm looking good so far as outlaws are concerned -- BUT -- every day I have to drive to work for my cash. I live without health-care, for one has to give one's SSN to get medical care these days, and as soon as I do that, "THEY" will know where my dumb ass is. I cannot dare drive outside Montana, as I hear other states are pitching "roadblock checkpoints" all over the place, and I'd be in the pokey the first time I drive up to one of those. Consequence: Loss of some mobility and freedom. Can't dare "speed", or bend driving rules one whit; must always be invisible as I move around, which is a different consciousness for driving than the rest of the nation enjoys. I miss the comfort of having something valid to show when they demand: "your papers please". The tension gets quite tight at times.

But putting all the stress and every-day worry of living the Freedom Outlaw life aside, what I miss the most is the fluidity I gave up when I closed our store. (It was a retail jewelry store, doing regularly each year some six-digit cash flow.) Back then, I had a boss-ass black 535i BMW with the baddest motor BMW makes, regular golf matches several times a week, dinner with millionaires and customers who could light up our cash register, loads of ready credit and credit cards, overdraft protection at the bank, money in my pocket, you know-- all the usual blessings of being safely embedded in the great American "way". I miss that especially right now, because I'm trying to start up a project for liberty-consciousness out here in Montana, and since I've been an outlaw I've simply had no real purchase power. Enough to each day pay my way for my basic survival needs. Can't buy that new rifle I want. Can't pay the printing costs of a paper I want to publish. Can't buy the books I dearly want. Lotsa stuff I cannot do because I chose to live the Freedom Outlaw's life. I'm not bitching, of course, just passing along some things I've learned from experience these last five years. There are many blessings in this chosen way of living today, and in some very important ways there is a rewarding knowledge of spiritual freedom, but they do not include material comfort and convenience, the things most Americans take for granted. So I'd like to toss these reflections in your direction so you'll have more info on which to base any future decision.

When the time comes, it will become obvious to many of us that it is no longer a decision of whim to make the plunge into total outlawry - the time itself will bring the circumstances which will drive many of us from our homes, our fortunes, and the "good life" in sheer forced desperation. But that time is not truly here, imo.

Now since you're an excellent writer and since I have long appreciated reading your highly intelligent and well-presented posts, and since I have tons of respect and admiration for you, I'd like to leave off here an old thing I wrote during the first days after I decided to "chuck it all" and go underground. In reading it, I hope you'll see that while there are spiritual blessings in "chucking it all", there are also some uncomfortable things one must face. This is sort of an accounting of my way of facing those things. (Apologies to any reader here who's already read this old piece.) This was written as a post to a message board, dated when I posted it up, my first Christmas after sealing my personal commitment to outlawry and taking the plunge.

~

Old Penny.......

Author:  Elias Alias

Date:    12/25/1999 4:55:30 AM

I have an old penny. It was minted in 1827. It is solid copper.

I have no idea where it's been in the last hundred and seventy-three years, but I like to imagine it's seen the battery at Charleston and the California gold rush. And maybe it's been on a cattle drive up the Chisolm trail, and been in a civil war poker game. One can only imagine how many places this old penny has been carried by the hands of mankind.

I also wonder about silly things pertinent to this old penny, but which carry no practical affectation on the coin's presence here today in a different world, in a world which is not at all the same world in which it was struck. Things like, for how much milk and bread has this penny gone from one hand to another. Or like, how many widows kept it with other coins in a snap change bag, tucked away like weighty memories? How many boys buried it in saving for a horse or a rifle. How many newspapers has it bought.

You may ask, Elias, how can you equate a penny with the purchasing of such substantial things? And you are right to ask. It is unusual today to think of any significant purchase power in a penny. But things were not always like that.

You see, this penny weighs six point six pennyweights, troy. That is : 6.6 dwt, Troy. That is it's weight after I dissolved the patina which a hundred and seventy three years of travel had added to it's weight. That patina nearly obscured the features of the coin's design, which is exquisitely simple and elegant. So I soaked the penny in a heated vat of mild acid for a couple of days, rendering a controlled erosion of those particles adhering to the coin's surface, revealing finally the details of it's intended appearance. I knew I could safely clean this old coin like that, as all who use pickling solutions know to use copper tongs when adding or retreiving articles from such baths. The mild acid will not "hurt" the copper. I also know that I can't leave a modern penny in such a solution. In quick order the insides of today's penny are eaten and dissolved by the acid, leaving only the soft skin of some possibly non-ferrous trace elements of real metal. Today's pennies are coated pot-metal.

A modern penny weighs one point six pennyweights. Since five pennyweights make a Troy quarter-ounce, this old penny from 1827 weighs exactly one quarter of a Troy ounce more than a modern penny. 6.6 dwt to 1.6 dwt.

The old penny is two full millimeters thick, and measures twenty-eight and a half millimeters in diameter. Today's penny is one and a half millimeters thick, with a diameter of only nineteen millimeters. The old penny is about the size of a half dollar. Today's penny weighs 4.125 times less than that old penny.

There is a substantial difference in the visual values suggested between the old penny and a new penny. It looks like more than today's penny, and it "feels" like something of value. That old cent was worth something back when it was minted. It would buy a real weight of flour. It could buy one a drink. A hand would work to own such a penny, and would have to do more than milk a cow or draw water from the well to earn it. It didn't take a large number of pennies to pay a man's daily labor. Like, less than a hundred of them could buy the services of a number of kinds of workers, from ranch hands to city street sweepers to blacksmiths to carpenters or cobblers. In the early eighteen hundreds, a penny such as this one I carry could get a man the "favors" of a lady from the bar. It was a real piece of money.

So I look at this old penny daily. I carry it "loose" in the left-front pocket of my levis. I pull it out of my pocket and handle it daily, look upon it, rub it daily. I forget how many years I've been carrying this old penny, but it hasn't been a really long time. Just a few years. But it's been long enough to have given my mind plenty of exposure to the hidden messages which are woven about the aura of the coin.

On the obverse is the head of Lady Liberty, centered on a broad round disc of minted copper, with the thirteen stars circling her profiled face and that word "L-I-B-E-R-T-Y" prominently printed upon her headband. It is the only word printed on the face of the coin. She looks classic, almost Greek in style of feature. She is looking to the holder's left, which would be "west" if he were facing north. Her mood speaks of quest, of a value in trust, of a justice which was as direct as warmth from a sun. She speaks of dignity, and indicts with a silent dharma our "progress" past her time. She speaks of a primal solidarity, that intangible abstract in it's pristine meaning before politicians got hold of the word. She speaks proudly of the virtues of sovereignty.

She is somehow regal, above and beyond what our general thinking has come to today. She reflects for all men in all times the nature of "quality", and she says silently that all true quality comes of Liberty. This old penny, as much as any man-made object can, bespeakes a natural station for man within this world. As such she has survived the handling of countless people down a long line of human generations.

She does look a bit worn for the wear, but she's still all there. On her reverse is printed in all capitals "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". That is struck around the outside edge of the coin's diameter. The letters are bold, and they almost completely encircle the coin. Inside the circle made by those words is a generously spaced circular wreath, and inside that wreath is stamped "ONE CENT". So in all, there are only eight words on the combined sides of the coin. Sometimes, I'm given to think, one says more in saying less.

So I wonder at times, just where she has been in her travels. How many offering plates she may have crossed, how many purses she's graced, how many pockets. She will outlive me, I'm sure, as I'll have her in my pocket when I die. As old as I may grow to be, she will always be older.

For my friends here and elsewhere, I would mention why I'm writing about this old penny on Christmas eve, and into the early morning hours of Christmas day. As all of you know, I've left my home to try to live as a free man, bowing to no state. Tonight my old body is parked in a strange house, a strange house in which I'm grateful to have been offered a couch in a heated room. I have a low-grade fever, for which I've eaten advil and drank a half glass of rich red wine. I haven't eaten today. I ache all over and I miss the comfort of my last home, which I took for granted for too many years. I have bouts of loneliness. I miss [ladylearning], with whom I shared the last nine years. I miss writing my friends letters. I miss my cat.

Outside the house where I'm staying the night is a windy cold city whose streets are frozen so hard the grit has almost become crystalline. Inside, I had thought I was out of cigarettes for several hours, only to find a hidden stash of three in a pocket in my carry bag. They look like salvation when a tobacco addict finds them after dealing with the need to don heavy coats and trek on foot to an all-night store for a fresh pack while babying a fever and a depression and a great feeling of disorientation, a tenacious feeling of having left behind all the security which older bums like me would prefer.

So with a taste of wine, and the hope born of discovering three brand new cigarettes, I've smoked part of a joint and a bowl of hash. For want of anything better to do while waiting for tomorrow and the move to my next place, my next crash pad, I took out this old penny and held it in my hand again. I meditated on that old penny, and wondered about myself. Why would an old hoot like me carry such a thing? I looked at Lady Liberty, and maybe it was because I was stoned, or maybe not, but it seemed I saw her smile at me. It was like she recognized something inside me which reminded her of the days when she was new, something she saw behind my long beard and wrinkled brow. Something related invisibly to the very things she has always stood for.

She made me think of my blessings, of the tremendous treasure which my day today has been, wherein I answered to no man's authority but that which I drew from my own conscience. She made me remember why I'm now homeless but am yet at home in liberty, and why that is a blessing to a soul such as I. She made me wonder about many things, and all in all, she made me smile a warm smile. She made me know that everything is as it should be, and that the pulse of freedom and liberty beats on into another new day, and that I am a part of that.

So I realized that even though I'm not so comfortable, physically, I'm in danged good shape spiritually; and I'm blessed to have lived this day to witness one more Christmas eve in the winters of man. So she caused me to remember my friends here, and as I did so I reflected on each of you. Each of you is a voice who has shared views with me, and has given me instruction and council. Each of you has been a friend. You know who you are. I am very grateful to you all.

Because I turned to an old penny for something familiar to hold on to in my wandering, I'm reminded of my happiness, and the part each of you has played in that happiness. So I'm wanting to raise this glass of wine to you all here, now, and send you my warmest love, and my strongest wishes for a merry Christmas and a wonderfully happy New Year. On earth, peace and good will to all.

I hope that some of you will remember me the next time someone says,

"A penny for your thoughts!".

:)

Elias
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 02:19:33 am »

The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

dervish

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 03:08:46 am »

I can relate to a lot of this.  I don't know what I want to do yet or what path I'll follow (or trailblaze for myself) yet.  Though I have to say that after making it as a runaway who now should not have to fear coming under the scrutiny of the legal powers and locked away, I'm rather annoyed that I find myself more in that position yet again....  :blink:

I like a few TV shows, but I typically only watch them on video or DVD.  I have a few webcomix that I really like (Charby the Vampirate as one example).  I have a lot of authors I like.  I LOVE stargazing and have some interest in transhumanism and extropy (though I'm more of an artist than a techie).  I have art (various kinds) and also various atheletics and sports that flush out built up adrenaline (thus destressing me) as well as for the adrenaline high.

But my big thing is music.  Some of my favorite groups include Cruxshadows, Switchblade Symphony, Voltaire (singer), Assemblage 23, Garbage, Bella Morte, The Last Dance, Informatik, and Apoptygma Berzerk.  

And I'm well-known for going off to it, and I sometimes think I reach a higher state of consciousness by doing so (and there are some really odd synchronicities that happen to me with them)... which is how I first got dubbed Dervish by someone else.  (But circumstances kept the name from sticking and so I thought I'd use it for my net name.)

Here's something I saved (mildly edited for this board) on March 9, 2005:

Have you ever stopped what you were doing because something came on the radio or whatever and you were compelled to resond to it, as in dancing?

I do.    :lol:

This last time was last Sunday, on March 6, 2005, just a little after 6 PM. I literally could not help myself. I was playing on the internet when Apoptygma Berzerk's Burnin' Heretic came on and I got up, slid over (in my socks--VERY bad habit I sometimes have, though I normally repress that) and nearly maxed that volume before going off to it in my own kitchen, laughing.

Oh, that felt good. I LOVE the music. If you haven't heard it, I STRONGLY suggest it to you.

Here are the lyrics, some spoken, some sung, but the lyrics (while stated or sung in a haunting manner) are NOTHING compared to the music:

[span style='color:red']"The holy inquisition finds you guilty of heresy, and you and your decendants must be cleansed in blood!"

"The holy inquisition....."

I see the sinners suffering.
I hear them screaming and I watch them burn and die.
It ain't looking good but nevermind
cause now they fade away.

The inquisition has done its job.
The deads fuel system blowing in the wind.
Their hearts were black and full of sin
and now they fade away.

"The Holy Inquisition."

And now they fade away....

[A lot of repeating]

"Dear God bring me to wisdom, please."

"To locate the case of your mind, search the depths of your soul."

That was followed by AB's End of the World, and then Ogre (formerly of SP) was shouting out.  And still I was going off, laughing, intoxicated on the thrumming music vibrating through my mind and soul.

I was completely sober, I swear!  This was a natural high!

Back when I was 15 I had a b/friend who loved the gravelly and noisy death metal bands. He hated my music.

HOW? How can someone LOVE death metal and HATE this music? I mean some of his singers even sound as if they had the dry heaves!  Why was I able to tolerate his music but he couldn't tolerate mine?

If I believed in a personal yet universal God, I'd consider this music of mine to be a very manifestation/gift/communion with Higher Powers....

Sometimes it's so beautiful (even when I'm completely sober) that I want to cry from the sheer beauty of it!!!

I wonder if the mythical sirens can sound as compelling and seductive as what I spontaneously found rapture and ecstasy in?  It is nothing less than the manifested beat of a higher plane of existence evoked into our world as musick....... and when I was about to go turn it back down, Princess Poison (by The Vanishing) came on.....

It's just way too weird how DJs suddenly tap the inspiration of the gods all of a sudden and let the divine flow through them into the radio waves into the home of the blessed, such as myself...... they almost never do that.

Then..... Leatherstrip, Come Out Tonight...... I felt so blessed.....

One dead, two dead, three dead, four dead,
five dead, six dead, seven dead, eight dead

I feel sick inside
of all the crap they shove on me
They smile polite
when they lie about the world I see
Billions of tears
Who cares about the life they live
They lose their heads
while we stuff our faces and forget

Come out tonight
I'll show you everything
Come out tonight
There's so much more
Come out tonight
I'll show you everything
Come out tonight
There's so much more

Switch off your mind
and let the info take control
The humankind
will stay on top, remaining cold
We trust the words
They feed the need we have inside
We want the words
We want blood and guts and filthy lies

Come out tonight
I'll show you everything
Come out tonight

There's so much more
Come out tonight
I'll show you everything
Come out tonight
There's so much more

Come out tonight
Come out tonight
Come out tonight
Come out tonight

La la la la la la la la... (etc.)

--Leatherstrip, Come Out Tonight

I know it may sound negative, but the music is awesome, and it's like a huge PURGE, dancing out the poison within me, finding rejuvenation and psychic regeneration from the dance, the music, and the webs that connect me, music, and the divine into one living tapestry/thread.

In a way, it's like me:  cynical and yet hopeful; introspective yet energetic and expressive.

Have you ever had music flick the switches in your brain like that?[/span]   :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something that I saved on November 24, 2004, wee hours of the morning.  I came home from a night of dancing/going off (in all kinds of ways) and took a shower to get the sweat off.  Then to help me calm down and to record what a wondrous, beautiful sensation that coursed through my being that night, I recorded this in WordPro under Sweet Musings:

Ayn Rand said not to waste time working for those who waste or don't value what you do.  Just do menial work or nothing at all.  Even better, shrug.  That was the best thing to do.  Shrug.  (I hope her followers realized that was good advice for her disciples, too!)

The best thing?  

The best thing is to get lost in a trance, dancing, mindless of the sweat as it builds up a film around you, sticking to your clothes..... and so what if.... they're all around..... the broken people hallow and feeble.... even those jerks that pat you down for water so they can sell you a tiny 50 cent bottle for $3.50...... they're all around.... they do biz with you, govern you, guide you, beg of you, rob you...... they're all around..... but as long as you can dance......

it's so sweet. Everything.

Especially when Apoptygma Berserk does a mix off this Switchblade Symphony classic......

[span style='color:red']Broken people
Hollow and feeble
They're rolling
Rolling up the hill

Rotten ingrate
Stupid mistakes
They're rolling
Rolling up the hill

Wishing wells and cockle shells
They swim throughout my head
My eyes are closing slowly
As I'm lowering my head

Wanting and getting
Silent setting
They're rolling
Rolling up the hill

Robbing and burning
Wasted learning
They're rolling
Rolling up the hill

Wishing wells and cockle shells
They swim throughout my head
My eyes are closing slowly
As I'm lowering my head

Breaking in
In my eyes
I can't see like this
I can't let go
Please help me down
I can't be like this
Seeing
(Fearing) them
Them all around
How can they be so sweet?

Sweet

They panic so
Just hold them down
I could live like this
I'm closing in

Hey, all around
I could be like this
Hearing them
Them in my head

Sweet

They're all around
Hey, hear me say
They're all around, yeah
They're all around
Hey, hear me say
They're all around, yeah
They're all around
Hey, hear me say
Sweet

They're all around
(Breaking in)
All around
(In my eyes)
All around
I can't see like this)
They're all around
(I can't let go)

All around
(Please help me down)
All around
(I can't be like this)
They're all around
(Seeing them)
All around
(Them all around)
They're all around
(How can they be)
They're so sweet

Sweet

--Switchblade Symphony, Sweet

And that's all I have to say right now.

<Shrug>[/span]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, here's another one I've danced to, a band that has had help (and fans) by political anarchists (this also has a bunch of Bush quotes, and in some parts Bush sounds real Orwellian, and in others there are some wicked double meanings in the Bushisms, but I don't have the CD that I could listen and share them).:

I declare war on the world
War in outer space
I declare war in a nutshell
War all over the place

I declare war on every government
War against all odds
I declare war on your inner sanctum
On your bloodthirsty gods

War on the axis of morons
All out war on complacent consent
I declare war on the war against drugs
On rape and slaughter of the innocent

War on Big Brother
Warmongers and profiteers
War on your Dogma Dubya
Armageddon's engineers

War in a heartbeat
I declare war on so-called civilization
World trade globalization
Organized disinformation

War on ambassadors of pretense
War on MTV and CNN
Macdonald's Walt Disney and Bethlehem
On Christina, Britney and Eminem

I declare war on the world of anti-choice
On violent unilaterality
On the amassment of murderous high-tech toys
And all crimes against humanity

War on the moral majority
On corporate.com imperialism
On mindlessly bumbling stupidity
And police-state terrorism

Worldwar Three - be all that you can be

--KMFDM, WW III

Here's one of my faves:

Look arround at the world today
our precious home withers in decay
what once was whole, is now torn and stained
do you wonder how it got this way?

The years will come the years will go
Kingdoms rise and fall
A time has come to take control the world belongs to us

Kingdoms rise and fall

Long ago a choice was made,
the few would rule
the rest obey
now we are taught how to behave
dont question why, and dont complain

Years will come years will go
kingdoms rise and fall
A time has come to take contro the world belongs to us

A single drop of water becomes a mighty fall
people of this earth the world belongs to us

Now its time to demonstrate that you and I can make history
tear down the walls that seperate
To make us weak and keep us afraid

Kingdoms rise and fall

people of the earth the world belongs to us

Kingdoms rise and fall

people of the earth the wrold belongs to us

The world belongs to us.....

--Informatik -- The World Belongs to Us

UTTERLY AWESOME!  That one for the lyrics as much as the music!   B)

Btw, one last thing:  see the 33-pg web comic http://www.e-sheep.com/rave/

And that's how I keep my sanity, such as it is, for the time being.   :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:17:09 am by dervish »
Alpha: "We could end this quickly, if you'd only listen to my advice."

Obi-Wan: "We are not assassinating every surviving political leader on this planet."

— Alpha and Obi-Wan Kenobi discuss options on Jabiim

dervish

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 03:20:52 am »

Btw, someone asked for some "profound" political quotes.  I couldn't resist the temptation to contribute this one (which I'm now sharing here as I think it fits... even if irreverently):

Fornication--at least that is something good. What else is there to do? Fornicate and take drugs against the terrible strains of idiots who govern the world

--Albert Szent-Gyorgi, Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology, The New York Times, Feb. 20, 1970

:lol:  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:22:49 am by dervish »

Obi-Wan: "We are not assassinating every surviving political leader on this planet."

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 08:50:26 am »

BUT -- every day I have to drive to work for my cash. I live without health-care, for one has to give one's SSN to get medical care these days, and as soon as I do that, "THEY" will know where my dumb ass is. I cannot dare drive outside Montana, as I hear other states are pitching "roadblock checkpoints" all over the place, and I'd be in the pokey the first time I drive up to one of those. Consequence: Loss of some mobility and freedom. Can't dare "speed", or bend driving rules one whit; must always be invisible as I move around, which is a different consciousness for driving than the rest of the nation enjoys. I miss the comfort of having something valid to show when they demand: "your papers please". The tension gets quite tight at times.

General,

You speak the truth and you speak for me. The hardest things about this life are not what non-Outlaws imagine them to be. The hardest things are the sense of being an exile in one's own world, and the consciousness that the most ordinary, everyday things (things that normal people don't even have to consider) become huge obstacles or dangers.

I haven't gone as totally Outlaw as you. I've still kept four or five "ties" to the everyday realities of commerce, paperwork, and permissions. You've been a braver man than I.

And yet, when I think about which direction to go from here, the best choice seems obvious: to go further into Outlawry, to give up those last "ties" -- because ties is exactly the right term for them. They wrap one in chains.

There is some danger in the Outlaw life. And there is boundless, everyday effing inconvenience. But there's liberation of the spirit in it, also, as you know. It's not for everybody, of course, and we Ghosts rely at times on the financial and physical mobility of our Mole friends. But it's a rich life in unexpected ways.

I'll resist the tendency to ramble, as you've already said it all. But I must add that having our own freedom communities, our gulches, our own freedom institutions (even if they must exist underground) will make a world of difference to our future.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 08:54:42 am »

Also need to add: Another excellent post, Alton. Thoughtful as usual.

Elias and I groan over some of the difficulties of the Ghost life. But I know many Moles who anguish even more over the compromises they have to make every day. It's hard for all of us in such unfree times. Best we can do is support each other in our choices and be freedom neighbors in the best sense.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 09:13:58 am »

Been questioning of late whether staying sane and staying within the system might be mutually exclusive.

But I'm gonna wait til Spring's really here before I definitively answer that.  
 :)  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:43:45 am »

My slide into outlawdom and off the books, unlike the General's, has been due more to my general cluelessness, a period of poverty, and rising impatience with the requirements'n'regulations of everyday life than to any well-thought-out plan.  This, alas, is not the way to do it, and I've got to get off my ass and get more organized.

Sometime back in early 2000, after my marriage broke up, I sat at a table in front of a bunch of financial records and government forms.  I sat in that chair, at that table, staring at those forms, for several minutes wondering as I always had, why am I doing this?  I hate these people.  I don't want to send them any more money, and the fact that I have to stretch my brain around these damned forms before I can even SEND the check is more genuflection than I really feel up to at the moment.  A robber might empty my wallet, but he wouldn't demand that I kiss him on the pecker for the privelege of being fleeced.

Screw it.  I swept the whole pile into a paper bag and threw it away.

That was one step onto the slippery slope.  There are others.  Getting tickets for expired car registrations, tickets which remained unpaid because I was unemployed and broke at the time, and since then have risen to fines I simply can't raise the money to pay even though I'm working steady, which resulted in certain unfortunate things happening to my DL.  Angry calls from officious FTB bureaucrats, which resulted in a suddenly emptied bank account (and this is REALLY good news to a sporadically employed person just before the rent is due), which in turn led in my rediscovery of the cash economy and anonymous cellphones.  Live in informally-rented spaces where nobody asks for your SSN or demands permission to run a credit check.  I have learned the blessings of living in a region designed to accomodate a whole bunch of "illegal aliens".

On and on: always little things.  Breaking off little pieces of my life, some of which I was happy to lose and some I had rather enjoyed having around.  I don't really mind it.  But I do admit that it would have gone a lot smoother if I'd formulated some sort of plan first.

I got into this fix by not giving things enough thought.   :) But the truth is, if I gave it a lot of thought now it'd probably drive me nuts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 10:59:15 am by John DeWitt »
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 05:39:58 pm »

I can relate to a lot of this.  I don't know what I want to do yet or what path I'll follow (or trailblaze for myself) yet.  Though I have to say that after making it as a runaway who now should not have to fear coming under the scrutiny of the legal powers and locked away, I'm rather annoyed that I find myself more in that position yet again....  :blink:

I could be totally wrong about this,  but I get the feeling we've "talked" before,  on another mailing list,  or two,  and maybe in some emails...

I was completely sober, I swear!  This was a natural high!

The best kind.  :-)

It's just way too weird how DJs suddenly tap the inspiration of the gods all of a sudden and let the divine flow through them into the radio waves into the home of the blessed, such as myself...... they almost never do that.

You must have some way better radio stations around you than I do...

I've pretty much given up on radio these days.

I know it may sound negative, but the music is awesome, and it's like a huge PURGE, dancing out the poison within me, finding rejuvenation and psychic regeneration from the dance, the music, and the webs that connect me, music, and the divine into one living tapestry/thread.

Sounds good...

Have you ever had music flick the switches in your brain like that?

Heck,  I thought that's what music was supposed to do?  :-)

Btw, one last thing:  see the 33-pg web comic http://www.e-sheep.com/rave/

Good stuff,  there.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 05:27:03 am »

Btw, one last thing:  see the 33-pg web comic http://www.e-sheep.com/rave/
That 'toon reminded me of
My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talkin' 'fore I knew it, and as he grew
He'd say "I'm gonna be like you dad
You know I'm gonna be like you"

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin' home dad?
I don't know when, but we'll get together then son
You know we'll have a good time then

My son turned ten just the other day
He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a lot to do", he said, "That's ok"
And he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said, "I'm gonna be like him, yeah
You know I'm gonna be like him"
When you comin' home son?

Well, he came home from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say
"Son, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head and said with a smile
"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

I've long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said, "I'd like to see you if you don't mind"
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I can find the time
You see my new job's a hassle and kids have the flu
But it's sure nice talking to you, Dad
It's been sure nice talking to you"

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me
My boy was just like me

The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

dervish

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 08:51:45 am »

Btw, you can listen to samples of the songs and groups I listed using Amazon, which often has both Windows Media and Real One Player.  Here's one that has both types with at least part of Burnin' Heretic (the first one I mentioned):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Hey Roy!

Yeah, I think we've traded emails, privately and publicly, on Libertarian Enterprise.  Then I went to visit family in Texas and kinda wandered off as I tend to do.  

Also, I have a new roomie now.  My last one had to move due to a new job.  She took our comp with her.  So I had to buy a new one. The only one I could afford is the piece of junk I'm using now.  This comp is old and has a lot of problems.  In fact, I paid about $80 for it, yet I've spent over a couple of hundred in trying to get it to work right!

(Even worse is that about the only things that have helped were things I got for free!  In the world of computers, I have found that the best help is often free, and that which you pay for is often the bullet you're about to shoot into your own foot, so to speak.)

I haven't been on LE for awhile.  I hope to get back to that.  Hopefully, if what I'm doing this weekend has the desired effect, my comp will work faster (and not annoy me so much) and I'll get back on LE, too.  Uh, oh.... I don't think I've been in the account I use for LE (I started a new account to deal with the traffic/number of threads shortly before I went on that long road trip), and it might have vanished.... I'll check later.  

That's an interesting song, Ragnar.  I have a strong feeling that I've heard it before, but I don't recall where.  I might have even seen a video for it on MTV (but if that's the case, then it was almost certainly back in the late 90s sometime).  Powerful lyrics of angst.  It's very well done but also sad.  I like to think my webcomic was more upbeat, but I can see the tangiental (yet strong) connections.  Ty for sharing (and for having the patience for reading through the webcomic and presumably all the other stuff I put up).

Later!
Jane

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up