The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Stay Sane  (Read 20814 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2005, 05:30:54 pm »

I'm in that second half century now. I like almost all kinds of music, and always have. I and all my siblings were brought up on classical music. Ooooo, you wanna hear something that'll kick your ass. Schelomo by Ernest Bloch. Many different cellists have played this, but if you can get your hands on a copy with Mstislav Rostropovich as the cellist I think it will be worth your while to give it a listen. (Elias, the experience is certainly enhanced by a few tokes  <_<  )
Another recommendation is Saint-Saens Symphony 3 in C minor, op. 78 'Organ'. "The Organ Symphony." Back in the early 70s, whenever we would take a trip to a high end audio store to test some serious audio equipment this was a staple to test the low bass. We also usually took a copy of Emerson Lake and Palmer's Tarkus.

Wow,  it's been *a while* since I heard the title of that ELP album...

I'm not familiar with either of those classical pieces,  but wouldn't mind checking them out some time.  Maybe I'll get lucky and run across an mp3 or something.

I never used to think all that much about the cello,  up until I saw "Witches of Eastwick",  where this one scene has one of the characters playing,  who all of a sudden really starts pouring on the passion.  I don't even have a clue as to what it is that she's playing,  but it's a good scene,  anyhow,  probably my favorite from the whole movie.

I'll try and note those two composers,  in case I ever run across them.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Delos

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 09:57:41 pm »

Damn! This is a MUSIC thread!

Elias, I enjoyed your dancing tale! Fuck, man! You're OLD! (I'm 48, come April)

You want cellos? How about some Electric Light Orchestra?

You want classical? How about spinning your O'jays CD really loudly on Love Train?

What . . .  that's not classical?

BTW, I had to get a new (old) car this week, which just happens to have a working cassette player, so I dug up some old cassettes from the eighties to cruise with. Here's a jewel I bet you've neglected for years--Catch My Fall from Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, not to even mention the title cut or Blue Highway!

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2005, 12:15:20 am »

Hell, whenever anyone talks about "classical music" I always think of The mothers live at the filmore east :D  
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Astra

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 03:32:09 am »

I've been wanting to reply to this thread for a while, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to say. Dervish, Elias... you two have some wonderful posts in here.

I've always been rather shut-in. Still am, to a large degree. I wish that weren't the case, but it's not an easy thing to change, especially in my case. I'm trying to get some medical problems fixed up... if I can manage that, things will be better. 'Til then, I do what I can to keep myself sane. Don't really know if it's working or not.

It seems I'm not alone in my love for music here. Dervish, I listened to those Apoptygma Berzerk samples you linked - they're great. I only wish they were longer.

I've mentioned before that my favorite group is Nightwish. Since a music thread isn't much without some music, you can find some samples of their songs here. I fell in love with Dark Chest of Wonders as soon as I heard the whispering voice at the start: Once, I had a dream - And this is it! But I'm afraid the samples don't do them justice. The 90 seconds of Beauty of the Beast just doesn't show the span of the 10+ minute epic. And they don't have any sample for Ghost Love Score.

Sigh... I'm thinking about too many things now. I'd sound like a disjointed dream if I tried to write it all down. And I'm tired.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
How To Stay Sane
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 12:12:48 am »

ELO - hell yes. I played cello in my high skule orkestra - 1st chair my junior and senior years. I really "dug" (<= 60s/70s slang, for you young pups) ELO. That white electric cello kicked ass.
Like I said
Ok, well, shit, don't get me started down memory lane.

Classical. Hmmm - PDQ Bach.
P.D.Q. Bach was the umpteenth son of Johann Sebastian Bach. The most obstinate son-of-a-Bach, P.D.Q.'s career is divided into the Initial Plunge, the Soused Period, and  Contrition. After testing organs and selling soap powder in the American colonies, he returned to Germany and found a position within the Church. A performance of the Missa Hilarious (featuring the comparable Angus Dei) led to his excommunication, after which P.D.Q. joined the court of Prince Fred at the castle of Wein-am-Rhein. Prince Fred, known for his "good beer and bad ear," was the only member of nobility to comission works during the composer's lifetime (after which it was too late). His circle of friends included Jonathan "Boozey" Hawkes and Tom Collins.

Ever since coming across the manuscript for the Sanka Cantata in a coffee machine, musicalologist Peter Schickele has dedicated his life to recovering the works of the Minimeister of Wein-am-Rhein. Manuscripts have been discovered in mine shafts, safes, bulletproof vests and other likely places.

P.D.Q. Bach composed for every instrument imaginable (and for quite a few unimaginable ones) as well as for voice, but only one work, the Bluegrass Cantata, survives in his native language. P.D.Q.'s music always seemed ahead of its time. On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of his father's birth, P.D.Q. Bach presented a commemorative cantata containing the earliest known example of polymeter, a device employed, albeit on purpose, by 20th century composers. He also anticipated the bluegrass, country-western, and hip-hop genres.
Which reminds me of Jonathan and Darlene Edwards
In 1957, an album was released called Jo Stafford and Paul Weston Present: The Original Piano Artistry of Jonathan Edwards, Vocals by Darlene Edwards. Careful listening revealed that both Jonathan and Darlene had an uncanny knack for just missing beats, falling a bit flat on notes-if not leaving them out entirely - and occasionally stumbling over timing. so that either the singer or the pianist periodically would have to race to catch up with the other. Rumor had it at the time that the Edwardses were, in fact, Stafford and husband Weston re-creating on wax a bit that they did as a joke at small parties-and the album became a cult classic, to be followed by the likes of Songs for Sheiks and Flappers and, most recently Darlene Remembers Duke. Jonathan Plays Fats. Except for a rare TV appearance, the Edwardses have never toured in concert.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

sin419

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 08:18:42 am »

Symphony fantastique by hector berlioz is one of my favorite classical tunes.  Also stormy monday by BB King.  How can you beat a line like;

nobody loves me but my mother.........and she could be jiving to.

Ouch!

Arizona Ranger

How To Stay Sane
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2005, 11:55:34 am »

Alton : Although I'm a latecomer to this thread, all I can say is Damn F***ing straight !  :D

Here are my suggestions ! (Inspired By Claire's Cheap Thrills From 101 Things To Do....)

Entertainment - Instead of trying to get tickets for an overpriced and overrated Broadway Show, why not check out a play at your local College or Community Theatre ?

As for Movies, check out a revival house or a flick that is out of the mainstream like MARCH OF THE PENGUINS...Also check out CD/DVD Exchanges for the best prices on Music & Movies instead of patronizing COCKBUSTER OR WALMART. Used Book Exchanges are also great as well instead of going to BARNYARD & IGNOBLE ! Also whats wrong with going to your Public Library ?

Check your local paper for Cheap Concerts as well as College Periodicals for Great Music Shows for low cost...

Dining - Learn to cook and check out recipes in the papers or magazines. Also at your nearest College/University, try some of the Eateries that cater to the Young Crowd with little $$$ . When I visited my Uncle in Albuquerque, NM, we usually ate at the Restaurants near UNM that gave you great food at low prices !

Another great thing is if you live near a Seaport, see if the Fisher Folk have any of their catch they'll give to you for nothing. Also people making pals with Foreign Sailors usually get invited aboard ship for kick ass meals !

Sports - Minor League Ball Arenas are mostly family orientated and low priced to bring in the crowds. Also you'll see better Athletics in action. Why not also catch a game at your Local College/HS as well and see young talent in action ? And whats wrong with taking some time out and watching a Youth League Baseball Game that costs NOTHING ?

Travel - Take the Train or Bus and see the Mother Beautiful Scenery that you can't see from that School Bus on Wings. Even though SLAMTRAK is not the greatest carrier, they do take routes through the Rocky Mountains and Southwest that are breathtaking.

Also invest in a AAA Membership to get the best deals on Hotels, Attractions, and Museums. AAA also offers Free Maps, Guidebooks, and whatnot to see the sights that are unknown to most Travelers...

Whats wrong with investing in a RV and taking the time to stay at National Parks ? Saves on the Lodging Costs !

Plus check out when Museums, Zoo's,and Aquariums are offering admission specials or free admission...

Buy yourself a bike and get rid of that fat with great exercise. Also walking to certain places never killed anyone !

TV -Despite what you think. the one eyed tube still has Good Channels like History Channel and Discover. See if your Cable Provider can give you a select cheaper package....

Critters - Animal Adoption/Rescue Groups can provide you with faithful and loving pets for free and even throw in the shots !

Cars - Check with your trusted mechanic for the Best Used Car Dealers or buy a Car during the time when the dealers have to get rid of their leftover stock...

Shopping - Become a Flea Market bug ! Also haunt the papers for announcements for Yard, Rummage, and House Sales !
Despite the poor image, Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other Shops that cater to Low Income People can offer some of the most amazing buys for peanuts !

Exercise - Join the Y or a Reasonably Priced Gym. Also try to go during the Early Morn off hours to avoid crowds and waiting to use equipment. Also parks in your area are free and have great hiking/biking trails

Enjoy !

:D  

dervish

Re: How To Stay Sane
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2005, 05:55:57 pm »

I've got one to add....

I had gotten off the comp this morn when a friend that I had just emailed a few minutes before called (since she knew I was up). She wanted us to go surfing with them. Having just gotten over a flu, I was thinking of saying no, but my roomie really wanted to go, so I agreed.

I am so glad for that.

We surfed as normal and the lingering depression and such from fighting off the flu was banished and I really enjoyed myself and the company. The morn was cloudy, but it was still beautiful, with fog in the distant hills, and the ocean itself vanishing off into the distant mists. There was rain, but it was very light--I'm not even sure it counts as rain. And hardly matters when you're in a wetsuit anyway.

And then the wind picked up. Friends had a wonderful idea, to try windsurfing. This was interesting, and I wasn't sure about it, having never done it before. When I finally tried, it took me some minutes just to not fall over, though they said I picked it up really fast. It was difficult because I had to hold my feet differently, and dealing with the harness. But at some point, WHOOSH, the SPEED! I couldn't help it: I screamed with joy, and I was SO glad we had come.

And then the sun broke through.... not direct, but close. The water turned from gray to aqua, and I was suddenly recalling when I was like 6-10, how I'd get up before Mom & Dad (and often before dawn back then) and go outside and explore, play, go to friend's houses.... I felt so free and there was a stark beauty to life that I rarely feel (at least sober) since I guess I became a teen. And then I surpassed even that, and I reached a state that was nothing less than ecstasy, I'd say on par (though distinct and different in its own way) to mindaltering dancing or sex, and perhaps even more fulfilling in its own way.

If there was any doubt about fighting to survive the dark times in my life, it was dispelled at this moment of utter beauty in which I lived totally within this miraculous moment, my shout and my heart praising the Goddess of Life and for this moment in Life, one that was worth every horror and ache I had endured just to be here. Tears came down my face (just a few), and I knew that when I die, should my life flash before my eyes, this exact moment will be replayed, and if it affects my body at all, I will smile then, at peace, knowing it was all worth it in part to this one ineffable moment.

What else is there to say? My cold seemed to come back but it went away again, and it was hardly even noted (at least not by me--and we were all wet enough anyway). I found out that the wind was LIGHT (like how fast would I have gone in a HIGH wind???) Because we messed with the boards (including the beginner board I had borrowed), we failed to miss the churches getting out and ended up eating at a Pizza Hut for awhile to give the traffic a chance to die down more.

Now I am home. I've showered, dishes are now washing, warms are washing and hots are drying. Today was awesome, and I'm sharing. If you get a chance to try something new like that, and to be out in nature in a way that helps you to fuse with it, if just for a moment, then avail yourself of the moment. If more people did, psychiatry would be an endangered profession.

As the Wiccans say, Blessed Be (it seems appropiate to now).
Alpha: "We could end this quickly, if you'd only listen to my advice."

Obi-Wan: "We are not assassinating every surviving political leader on this planet."

— Alpha and Obi-Wan Kenobi discuss options on Jabiim

lewlew

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 11:50:20 am »

Great piece of writing, dervish, along with sharing such a strong moment in your life.  It's like we're right there, on the board, with you.

If you get a chance to try something new like that, and to be out in nature in a way that helps you to fuse with it, if just for a moment, then avail yourself of the moment. If more people did, psychiatry would be an endangered profession
  This is so true.  When I'm blue, one of the best salves for it is to look at the Mountain.  It's always looking a bit different, always breath taking and makes me smile.

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 12:03:29 pm »

Dervish, thanks for sharing that - a powerful experience and beautifully written.
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

starborn

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:35 pm »

At present:

Shania Twain's Greatest Hits

Great wit, fine pure voice.

dogsledder54

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2005, 06:39:12 pm »

I think staying sane is WAY over-rated. :laugh:

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2005, 12:46:13 am »

I think staying sane is WAY over-rated. :laugh:

Hehe...

I had a similar thought when I saw this thread last time around.  Got a button here someplace that says "I Don't Suffer from Insanity,  I Revel In It!"
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

cowardly lion

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2006, 08:12:47 am »

"I wrestled with reality for many years.  I am happy to say that I finally won out over it."

Elwood P. Dowd
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

Sunny

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:17 pm »

Ragnar, try The Protecting Veil by Tavener.  Isserlis played it on the recording I have, I believe.  I haven't seen it since our last move, but there's still boxes around here, so I'm not considering it in need of replacement yet.  Schelomo is a lovely peice, very fun to play as well as listen to.

And any of you guys who love heavy metal or Shostikovich, you have GOT to check out Apocalyptica.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up