The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: don't know scat  (Read 352 times)

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
don't know scat
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:21:47 am »

The whole story and two photos are here:
http://www.bitterrootbugle.com/2017/11/15/scat/

I found a freshly killed deer carcass 5 feet from our yard fence.  Later in the day about 30 feet from the kill was some big poop, the largest piece in the photo here.

I don't know scat.

But this bit implies a very large predator ...
one who likes hanging around just outside our fence.

I do want to know what I'm facing.

I suppose I will spring for a game camera right away.

Anybody here recognize this sh__ ?

I did start carrying my .357 snubbie yesterday in a zipper-topped bag that will keep most of my dirt and sawdust out.  I moved my tool patch to a less convenient location on my left side.  Speed drawing my tape measure isn't the highest priority.

I also ordered an open, retention-type holster for my .40 for days outside I'm not being messy. 

I figure no matter what, I'm better defended with them than bare hands.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: don't know scat
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:58 am »

I don't know if bears kill deer.... but did you find any little bells in that scat? :)

That's a seriously large turd... I've seen scat from the local mountain lion here, and it's nowhere near that big. Any reported sighting of a yeti in the area? Hope you find out what it is, and if it was me I'd start carrying a good size rifle.

The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:05:10 am »

Holy crap...

That's some serious sh__ right there my friend!

Yeah, I'd be carrying some serious iron around from now on.  And don't make deer noises while outside.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:42:08 pm »

A neighbor guesses it is a bear.  That is good news because the 6' chainlink fence will keep them out ... I think.

Oh yeah, ML, bears do deer. Think VERY LARGE, very fast dog with serious claws in addition to teeth as tools.

The homestead came with A LOT of electric fencing hardware. I may run some of that outside the chainlink just to add an edge of distaste to anything considering hopping the fence. 

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:12 pm »

I do understand that .357 is woefully underpowered for lions, tigers and bears. But WORKING in the yard does not lend itself for carrying long guns. 

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 02:56:29 pm »

I do understand that .357 is woefully underpowered for lions, tigers and bears. But WORKING in the yard does not lend itself for carrying long guns.

Oh, I'd say a .357 would be powerful enough. Just might be harder to aim. A sling might help to carry a long gun, but if you have predators that size around, I'd think not being alone out there, having someone to watch your back might be the best idea. One of  you could always have a rifle to hand then.

Good luck!
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »

Depends on the kind of bear and your ammo of choice.  I'd say full power 158 grain LSWCs against a black bear would probably do the job.  A light hollow point might be questionable, especially out of a short barrel.  Against a brown bear, I'd want more gun.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:40:40 am »

Against a brown bear, I'd want more gun.

You've reminded me of a story I've probably told here before, but some won't remember it, so here goes. I read it on one of the gun boards, many years back.

A guy who lives in Alaska sometimes gets brown bears near his house. He deals with the problem with a shotgun, loaded with slugs, except for the top round (loaded last), which is bird shot. He maneuvers to within 25 yards of the bear, and shoots it in the rump with the bird shot. That is usually enough to convince the bear to leave. Sometimes, especially with younger bears, one of them turns on him. Then he uses the slugs.

This guy is a big adrenaline junky.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:22 pm »

Against a brown bear, I'd want more gun.

You've reminded me of a story I've probably told here before, but some won't remember it, so here goes. I read it on one of the gun boards, many years back.

A guy who lives in Alaska sometimes gets brown bears near his house. He deals with the problem with a shotgun, loaded with slugs, except for the top round (loaded last), which is bird shot. He maneuvers to within 25 yards of the bear, and shoots it in the rump with the bird shot. That is usually enough to convince the bear to leave. Sometimes, especially with younger bears, one of them turns on him. Then he uses the slugs.

This guy is a big adrenaline junky.
I've heard you tell this before.  And it still sends shivers down my spine...
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

echopeak

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 08:19:42 pm »

That looks like a blunted, cord-like, and thick bear scat. I would have guessed cougar, but the cougar scat I find looks much more segmented and long.

There has been a large tom hunting around my valley all winter. I found three kills this winter when XC skiing with his sign all around the partially buried carcass, and I ran into him once early this winter up on one of the forest service roads near my valley. I will share the photo from when we met, though it is a rather grainy photo. He and I stared at each other for a couple minutes before he silently leapt up the hill.

While he is a beautiful creature, I stopped carrying my HK 9mm after that meeting, and began to carry my Ruger Redhawk .44 when I went out to XC ski. That same tom took down a deer last week just past the field where my nearest neighbors have their cow/calf pairs. I will have to find a way to carry the .44 when I go for my trail runs later this spring and summer.
Who owns YOUR life?
Pages: [1]   Go Up