The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consent of the Governed, Revisited  (Read 2128 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Consent of the Governed, Revisited
« on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:50 am »

Excellent article. I've asked the question so many times, especially of those who are adamant that I somehow do consent to government because I continue to live here, among other things. I'd like to understand why Higgs moved to Mexico myself. The idea that the Mexican government is less intrusive or dictatorial than the US is a sick joke. The Mexican government may not have the resources currently to be quite so invasive and controlling in some ways, but they are working hard to advance in that direction.

Consent of the Governed, Revisited  http://blog.independent.org/2017/11/27/consent-of-the-governed-revisited/
By Robert Higgs

What gives some people the right to rule others? At least since John Locke’s time, the most common and seemingly compelling answer has been “the consent of the governed.” When the North American revolutionaries set out to justify their secession from the British Empire, they declared, among other things: “Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed.” This sounds good, especially if one doesn’t think about it very hard or very long, but the harder and longer one thinks about it, the more problematic it becomes.

One question after another comes to mind. Must every person consent? If not, how many must, and what options do those who do not consent have? What form must the consent take—verbal, written, explicit, implicit? If implicit, how is it to be registered? Given that the composition of society is constantly changing, owing to births, deaths, and international migration, how often must the rulers confirm that they retain the consent of the governed? And so on and on. Political legitimacy, it would appear, presents a multitude of difficulties when we move from the realm of theoretical abstraction to that of practical realization.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

koot

Re: Consent of the Governed, Revisited
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:47 am »

Hi ML, I can't answer what  Mr Higg's specific reasons are, but after attending the Anarchapulco conference(s) in 2016 & 2017 and talking to several people who either moved there or where considering moving there in the near future, most felt it was a step up freedom wise. A side reason was cheaper living. (housing & medical)..

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:44 am »

Hi ML, I can't answer what  Mr Higg's specific reasons are, but after attending the Anarchapulco conference(s) in 2016 & 2017 and talking to several people who either moved there or where considering moving there in the near future, most felt it was a step up freedom wise. A side reason was cheaper living. (housing & medical)..

Each to his/her own, of course. But tell me... A "step up freedom wise?"  So, can ordinary people carry a gun anywhere and everywhere as they please, as long as they don't harm others?  I'll bet not. I investigated a great many places before I moved to Wyoming. Not perfect, but I am not disarmed and helpless here. Every other consideration comes after that.

koot

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:59 am »

I was only relaying what they shared with me so I can't answer your question. My guess is, that it was an all things considered (most important to them) decision on their part which took them there.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:03:48 am »

I was only relaying what they shared with me so I can't answer your question. My guess is, that it was an all things considered (most important to them) decision on their part which took them there.

Of course. :)

CowboyCh3mist

• Provisional
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:23 am »

Such a mind-bending concept (in some regards I do think one's mind has to be warped in order to initiate force on non-violent individuals on a politician's behest merely for violating some nebulous laws, many of which are contrary in spirit to the very Constitution they purport to claim power from). I see from MamaLiberty's tagline/quote someone is already familiar with Lysander Spooner's "No Treason", most people approach law on the presumption that the constitution is the unquestionable supreme law of the land without pondering it's moral basis. Enjoyed the article, unfamiliar with P.J. Proudhon will be certain to become more acquainted. Heard of this guild last year via YouTube, though newcomers were restricted and I just now rechecked, glad to have come to an open-minded, liberty-loving group.
-Cowboy

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:34 am »

Welcome, CowboyCh3mist!

casca-503

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:19:33 am »

Cowboy,   welcome,   pull   up a log  &   sit  by   the   fire....pour   a  cup   of   coffee .....   read....listen....jump   in   anytime.....casca,   the   old  grunt....

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 02:52:53 am »

"many of which are contrary in spirit to the very Constitution they purport to claim power from)'
it would seem, that as of late, they don't even claim to derive power from the constitution, but instead from the results, or lack thereof, of the last election.
Therefore it's plain to see that "the republic" is dead, and has been replaced the "the democracy", in which the majority imposes it's will, by violence if need be, upon the minority.
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up