Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bees  (Read 5987 times)

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: Bees
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2018, 08:03:17 am »

My son checked on his bees yesterday and they got a decent report card.  Alpha hive is doing well despite the setback of swarming.  My son estimates 25ish pounds of honey will be harvested.  Bravo hive is recovering from European Foul Brood (apparently it has a name!) and the new queen is now laying eggs.  Unfortunately no honey will be harvested this year.  Right now the push is for the hive to make enough honey for the bees to survive the winter.  He is taking it all in stride and is happy to harvest honey this year.  Already planning his label design for the bottles he is going to fill.  He is still deciding on a company name.  I suggested 'Bee Spit' but my wife didn't think that would sell very well.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

colonial shooter

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 08:40:46 am »

25# is not a lot of honey to harvest from a hive (not bad but should be a bit more). I used these https://www.mannlakeltd.com/bee-pro-patties-with-pro-health-40-lb-18-12-kg-box. to assist in improving hive health. DS is doing a great job with his first hives, you should be encouraged that he is doing well. Always remember bees are considered livestock in most places (just like cows, and horses). Keep up the good work.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 12:29:04 pm »

25# is not a lot of honey to harvest from a hive (not bad but should be a bit more). I used these https://www.mannlakeltd.com/bee-pro-patties-with-pro-health-40-lb-18-12-kg-box. to assist in improving hive health. DS is doing a great job with his first hives, you should be encouraged that he is doing well. Always remember bees are considered livestock in most places (just like cows, and horses). Keep up the good work.

My son is hoping by the time he harvests (few more weeks) that he could get 30 pounds of honey.  Suffered a setback from the swarm.  The 'deep' boxes are full of honey so the bees have plenty of food for the winter.  He is encouraged that he will at least see a bit of harvest this year.

Unfortunately Iowa does not recognize bees as livestock.  So I can't take advantage of any tax exemptions.  Hopefully the law will change.  I'm no fan of taxes and will take advantage of any way I can avoid paying!

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 06:47:23 am »

Honey Harvest 2018 scheduled for Saturday the 25th of August!  My son is reeeeeally excited.  He picked up his first beehive in May of 2017 so it's been a long time coming.  I'm amazed at his patience and perseverance.  Thankfully he is getting some sweet success.  Yes, pun intended...

Our place will be buzzing with activity tomorrow for sure!  Another pun?

Bee prepared for an update!  Stop with the puns already!

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 10:34:34 am »

Honey harvest was a success!  Spent a few hours on Saturday going through the entire process.  My son ended up with 15 pounds of sweet, sticky goodness.  We kept a couple bottles for ourselves, gave some away as gifts and he is selling the rest.  Plans to roll a majority of the profits back into the business.  I'm quite proud of this young man...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up