The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening 2018  (Read 2549 times)

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: Gardening 2018
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2018, 07:44:43 am »

'Maters!  Lots and lots of 'maters!  Kids are starting to bring in a handful each day so I'm sure the canning will start soon.  Plus, fresh salsa will be coming any day now!

Pumpkins are turning orange, green beans still coming in, peas are done, green peppers growing like crazy, the list goes on.  I think this has been the best gardening year since I started putting stuff in the ground.  10ish years now?
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 03:12:11 pm »

That's wonderful knobster!  Congratulations to all.

I wish......
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 07:14:03 am »

Picked a small bucket of strawberries last night.  We have two patches: one is June-bearing the other is ever-bearing.  The June ones are done but are sending runners out like crazy and have completely filled in the 4x10 foot area.  The ever-bearing are producing plenty of berries and all still have oodles of flowers.  We noticed that the fruit is smaller (but much tastier) than store-bought ones.

The raspberry plants we got from a friend are actually producing.  We transplanted nearly 40 plants, 2/3rds survived the shock and of those, half are producing berries.  We may get 1/2 a gallon of berries which will be pretty neat.  Enough to enjoy fresh at least.

Tomatoes are still coming in strong.  My wife gets the canner out when she has two gallons of the fruit picked.  The kids love helping out as well so it makes the job easier for all.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 06:42:46 am »

Ten more pints of tomatoes canned.  Weather has cooled a bit (odd for Iowa in late August) so I imagine the 'maters and peppers  will slow a bit.  Tried a pear we picked last week and it was good but could have been a tad sweeter.  So I picked a couple more yesterday and will let those ripen as well.  Have been jotting down notes regarding the 2018 Garden and what we want to do different next year.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up