The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening 2018  (Read 801 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Gardening 2018
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 12:06:40 pm »

"The number one time to plant a tree was 20 years ago...the second best time is today"

True of a lot of things.  :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:59 pm »

We finally got into our new (and final) house last October.  Nothing is set up for us yet.  I'm working two jobs, so everything has to happen on the weekends, and those have been sucked up with family issues.

I did get my "Grandpa's Paste" tomatoes started, hopefully in time to bear fruit this summer.  I usually start them VERY early.  And I don't have proper light either.

It's a true heirloom, in the sense that you can't buy this anywhere.  I got it from the college professor who ran the community college garden we gardened at back in PA.  He got it from his grandpa, hence "grandpa's paste."  When I brought seed here to WA in 2014, I had no garden.  I started seedlings and a cousin managed to get ONE fruit from it that year.  So it would be a damned shame if I lost it now.

This remarkable tomato is VERY densely fleshed.  It has VERY few seeds, and little juice in their pockets.  Fruits are long, "roma" style, from 4 - 6 inches long.  Best canning tomatoes we have ever grown.

We hiring a guy to come till our lawn and garden.  We had hoped to have some money left for a tractor when we moved in, but there were plenty of surprises in our building process that sucked that up.  But it will get done and we WILL have a garden this summer.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 06:52:25 am »

Klapton's back! 

Best of luck getting the garden going!  We have plenty of seedlings popping up and as soon as the weather gets above -100 degrees out I hope to transplant.  I think spring forgot to come this year...
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 07:43:08 am »

Put some grow light above all the seedlings before they get 17 inches tall and then flop over.  I think spring is finally coming now - we had one last snowstorm yesterday but the extended forecast shows awesome weather.  Lows in the 40s, highs in the 50/60s.  So it is time to hit that garden!

colonial shooter

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 09:28:11 am »

Transplanted some tulips to a newly prepared bed. Turned soil in preparation for seedlings which will be started in 2weeks. Need to go and get the 2 raspberry bushes soon.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:23 am »

Rain!!!  Blessed rain finally fell last night.  Not sure how much we got but the garden/lawn/orchard got nicely soaked.

More rain coming this evening through tomorrow so I'm betting the lawn will really need a good mowing this weekend.  Grass clippings for the garden!  Yaay!

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 08:22:15 am »

Busy gardening weekend - got 4 beds prepped for plants and put 40ish tomatoes in.  Hoping for a 'yuuuuuge' harvest this fall.  Next week we'll put peppers into the ground.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 10:54:52 am »

Yet another busy gardening weekend.  For Mother's Day we always pick up plenty of flowers.  My wife just loves planting them with the children.  And if momma's happy, the whole family is happy!

We also added more peppers, strawberries and potatoes.  We discovered the store we were at already had 20% off all fruit trees so a couple of them followed us home.  'Reliance' peach and 'Montmorency' cherry.  Both are self-pollinators so we'll see how they do.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 07:02:41 am »

Whew... I think we are done adding to the garden finally.  Planted a bunch of pumpkins, squash, cantaloupe and cucumbers.  Put the remaining pepper seedlings into their new homes.  And we tried something new this year: peanuts.  They require 120 days to reach maturity which is a bit of a stretch for central Iowa but I'm hopeful.

In looking over everything we seem to have used about half the available real estate for the garden.  So I'll continue to prepare the soil for future garden use.  I plan to rotate tomatoes so they aren't in the same spot year after year.

Also started building a cinder block compost bin.  There is a 'concrete graveyard' back in my wood which has plenty of cinder blocks.  Free for the taking but I think they weigh 40lbs each.  Fun to lug them the 100ish yards from graveyard to garden...

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:36:54 am »

We moved into our new hippie homestead last fall, and are finally getting some work done this spring.  Our plan is to fence about five acres for our orchard and critters, but for now, I did deer netting around 1,000 square feet of veggie garden.  We hired a guy to do tractor work for us because we spent our tractor money building the house.  We'll start planting Memorial Day weekend.

I am trying to upload some pics, but my upload speed is complete suck, and it's not working.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 06:07:02 pm »

klapton,  How cool and exciting. Congratulations! Looking forward to pictures or progress reports.

knobster, Sometimes I get tired out just imagining all the work you are doing but it is really thrilling to watch.

Wonderful to hear of yours and others progress in gulching.
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 06:52:21 am »

klapton,  How cool and exciting. Congratulations! Looking forward to pictures or progress reports.

knobster, Sometimes I get tired out just imagining all the work you are doing but it is really thrilling to watch.

Wonderful to hear of yours and others progress in gulching.

:laugh:
Saturday night I fell asleep on the couch at 8:30.  Needless to say, I was exhausted.  I often tell folks that I should have moved to the country 20 years ago.  Ah well, it was crazy-fun to be out there doing stuff.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:53:31 am »

Been lots of hot days with rainstorms at least once a week.  Thus, the garden area is e-x-p-l-o-d-i-n-g with growth.  Every afternoon I'm out there I swear I can hear the plants growing.  The only thing that hasn't done well are the carrots.  Very few have germinated.  Not sure why.  Everything else growing like crazy.

We've harvested lots of lettuce, sugar snap peas and strawberries already.  My girls love going out there and simply eating peas right off the vine.

The apple/pear trees are loaded with fruit this year.  I thinned them a bit as recommended so that the energy is directed towards less fruit, thus making them bigger/better/beautifuler.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 12:36:51 pm »

The only thing that hasn't done well are the carrots.  Very few have germinated.  Not sure why. 

Some seeds have a very short life. Onions, carrots and parsley seeds in particular do not keep well. The germination rate drops like a stone after the first year.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2018, 08:05:37 am »

The only thing that hasn't done well are the carrots.  Very few have germinated.  Not sure why. 

Some seeds have a very short life. Onions, carrots and parsley seeds in particular do not keep well. The germination rate drops like a stone after the first year.

I paused before adding to this thread as I don't want ML's e-presence to fade off into the history.  Sniff...

Garden is doing amazingly well this year.  We've had plenty of rain and heat this summer. 

We've been busy!
1) Shelves filling up from canned pickles
2) Freezer filling up with frozen, shredded zucchini
3) Few times a week we eat freshly steamed green beans

Only a handful of strawberries though.  I neglected them and a lot of energy was put into sending out suckers.  The ever-bearing are producing a lot more flowers now that I've started clipping those off.  The June-bearing are done, now they are doing their best to completely fill in the area.

Apples and pears are growing nicely.  Pear trees don't seem to draw the wrath of bugs as much as apples do.  Thankfully the apple trees are growing leaves faster than bugs can eat them.  And I have a few Jap Beetle traps in place to catch those nasty things.

Viney stuff is doing really well.  As noted above, we're already preserving lots of zucchini and cucumbers.  Cantaloupe and pumpkin also growing fast.

Tomatoes are insane.  The cages I put around them are toppling over from the weight so I've resorted to tent stakes and guy lines to hold the cages in place.  Next year we'll try beefier cages that are pushed further into the ground.  We tried to keep the tomato plants pruned to control the growth but it is a constant battle.  Plants are loving this weather.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up