The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Day In, Day Out, Year After Year _ Here's To Mama Liberty!  (Read 1678 times)

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
Day In, Day Out, Year After Year _ Here's To Mama Liberty!
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to sit with MamaLiberty several weeks ago. We had a good visit, and went over many memories dating back to 2000 when we met at a Liberty Round Table conclave in Utah. We met again at an LRT conclave in Missouri the following year, summer of 2001. Recalling those good times as I prepared to drive down to her home for one final visit, I knew to take her my Liberty Round Table shirt, which she dearly appreciated. She told me that her original LRT shirt had been worn to tatters over the years, and was so glad to get a replacement which had hardly any wear at all. While that shirt has sentimental value to me as well, I also knew that it was the best thing I could offer her as a token of my appreciation.  I am blessed by having had the chance to see her one last time, one last chance to thank her in person for her tireless work on behalf of Liberty for the Individual. I have depended upon her for many years while busying myself in other arenas. She was always here, always on duty, and was never afraid to challenge me on my oft-times "eccentric" perspectivives. She was, for it all, a treasured friend and a strong ally. She was an integral part of The Mental Militia, as well as running her own Internet operations. We all shall miss MamaLiberty!

Bill St. Clair emailed me the news this afternoon. I do not know any details, just that TMM will no longer enjoy the dedicated service of our Beloved MamaLiberty. I do know, from talking with her at her table, that she was a spiritual giant and was prepared for this new journey she has just now embarked upon. While being with her, I realized that her time was short. She had a plan for avoiding pain, and I think that was the most important thing. But she confessed that she was losing that battle, so I am glad she is now at peace.

I want to create a page in her honor at TMM's national site. I will email Claire Wolfe and ask Claire to have anyone with pics of ML to send to me for posting at MamaLiberty's memorial page.  Anyone reading this is invited to send photos and/or personal testaments in honor of MamaLiberty. My email address is --

eliasalias@gmail.com

I will start by dedicating an old poem I wrote about forty years ago while on an LSD trip. MamaLiberty, this poem has never been dedicated to anyone, so it will be all yours. Your leaving brings to mind our own impermanence. --

Permanence

Permanence

is neither in the foot above the stone

which bringeth forth the wreath,

nor in the broken brow-mold,

invisible beneath;

Is

neither for who buildeth up

nor for who teareth down;

for branch above,

nor root in ground;

Is Gypsywise;

for, ever to the weary

this earth shall be a bed,

and fast unto impermanence

shall permanence be wed.

MamaLiberty, we all shall always love you. Sail now on painless winds, as you did for so many happy years while sharing with us all your wisdom. Now, on behalf of The Mental Militia and all your friends and family, accept please my undying, eternal, permanent Salute!

Elias Alias

"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Day In, Day Out, Year After Year _ Here's To Mama Liberty!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:28:51 pm »

I was informed of her passing this afternoon by a friend of MamaLiberty's who lives in Newcastle. I wept, then went out for a walk, to breathe for a while. When I passed the local flower store, I knew what to do.

Mama Liberty walked her talk.

Rest in peace, sister.

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:38:18 pm »

Sadly, I immerse myself in my neighborhood and do not take advantage of opportunities to gather with TMM compatriots in Meat Space.   

I never met Mama Liberty in person.  That is my fault. That is my shortcoming.

I have met only a couple of you. Gooch, who we hosted for a lovely couple of days is gone.  Soon we will all be gone.

I vow to try harder, to stretch my natural tendencies a bit more in the future if meeting in the real world opportunities come up.

This world holds few peers for me. I am not claiming to be spectacular, but we are very definitely unique and special.

Fershur, if any of you are passing through the lower left hand corner of Montana, I want to put you up, put up with you on your way through.

If someone conjures up a regional campfire, I will stretch my Fuddy-Duddy side to get there.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:49 pm »

There is a group on facebook of people from "TOP."  I told them the news I got here a week or two ago, and will share this news there too.

Rest easy, Mama.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

mouse

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 07:36:44 am »

The idea that you can "meet" someone who lives half a world away and communicate with them electronically but you know you can never physically meet them, then they are gone, and you are left crying so much you keep having to take a break so you can wipe your eyes enough to see the monitor, seems preposterous. 

However that is what is happening right now.

I will really miss you MammaLiberty.

You are in God's hands now and I'm sure you will counsel everyone there about true liberty.

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:46:41 pm »

I was so saddened to hear about her illness a few weeks ago. It didn't sound like it would be long and it was not.

I never had the pleasure of meeting her in person though we corresponded off and on for years and she was a regular at TUAK, and I will probably never stop looking for her friendly, uncompromising comments. She will surely be missed.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »

I never met her in person but did ping her privately over many matters.  Most of them related to diabetes care.  She was one of a kind for sure.  Her wit and wisdom will be greatly missed.

RIP Mama!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:36:23 pm by Tahn L. »
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Who...me?

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:25:28 am »

Will miss Susan in so many ways. I wish I had been able to meet her face to face.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

casca-503

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 12:06:16 pm »

I  also   never   met   face   to   face   with    M.L.   / Susan  C.   /    but   wrote    back  &   forth   many   times..../    will   miss   her   deeply....

Tahn L.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 02:43:03 pm »

Many comments of Love and admiration from an earlier "Living Freedom" post of Claire's, after ML's announcement..

https://www.clairewolfe.com/blog/2018/06/27/good-bye-from-mamaliberty/
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

Sunni-Snake

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 02:41:13 pm »

Funny how one can know that a dear person's death is imminent, yet still be shaken to the core when it happens...

As Elias noted in his eloquent remarks, I met ML via the Liberty Round table. There, we called her "Susan, Lady Knight", as she'd affirmed the Knight of Non-Aggression oath Lobo wrote. I don't recall when she took on the handle of "Mama Liberty", but it was so perfect for her. Anyone who wanted or needed mothering, she'd provide it, all with her unwavering commitment to the plain truth and the principles of liberty and self-ownership.

Having lost my mom at a fairly young age, she became my second mama, and a beloved grandma to the snolfs (my kids, for those who don't know me). During a span of years when we'd fairly regularly drive across the continent, she'd always tell me we were welcome to stop by... and we did a few times. Doing so meant another day on the road for us, which was no small thing with two rambunctious kids, but it was always worthwhile to all three of us. She fed us our first elk steaks (delicious!), took us on a foraging hike with her, and let the kids play with Rascal as much as he'd tolerate. They called her Grandma Susan, which gave her much enjoyment. She was kind and caring to them, but treated them with the same respect she gave to any adult who earned it, as was always her way. Being with her was always a balm for my spirit.

Starting up a correspondence with her again recently, my plan was to focus on her... try to comfort her, amuse her, distract her from her pain if I could. I think I managed a little of that, but in her usual way, she was soon mothering me, encouraging me, and supporting me. I reminded her of the interview I did with her for Sunni's Salon; the memory pleased her, and she said she'd check it out. As was always her way, she didn't shy away from difficult questions and didn't play language games. All of us who knew her will miss her wise counsel.

She allowed me—almost encouraged me—to ask her about her observations and thoughts on her own impending death. I teach psychology, and our developmental psych class is required for pre-nursing students; so I explored the subject of dying and death with her. As usual, her insightful comments went far beyond what I could have hoped for in my wildest dreams.

I hadn't heard from Susan in a few days and Tuesday, in quite unexpected places, I came across two pro-freedom quotations: one from Mencken and one from Rose Wilder Lane. It gave me pause, but I was busy and didn't give it much thought. After learning of Susan's death, I'm tempted to think that it wasn't a coincidence.

As so many are, I am deeply saddened by her departure; but more than that, I am happy and relieved that she is out of pain. She helped me become a better person in many ways; and I know others feel that way too. In our talk about her impending demise, she said she hoped she'd be remembered... I told her that the ripples of her influence had already spread beyond what she knew, both in her nursing care and in her steadfast work for the cause of individual liberty, and that the good she's done in the world will continue to spread.

Years and years ago—I think not long after she moved to Wyoming—she gifted me a small sprig of true peppermint. Through many moves and efforts (not always intentional) to kill it, that plant has endured. After our most recent move, it was ignored for several months... months of drought in a hot desert climate. When I remembered it and started tending to it, it looked very dead; and I was close to despair over it (I didn't know of Mama's illness at that time). With a bit of steady care, it has come back and is looking healthy. Not lush just yet, but mint is tenacious... just like ML's commitment to liberty. I see the plant every day now, and it reminds me of her steadfast presence in so many lives.

For those who want to toast her memory, she did love a wee dram of whisky. And has already been said, her love of gardening—orchids, herbs, and plants of almost all kinds—is a great way to honor her.

Rest in peace, Mama. You are free at last.

Tahn L.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »

Nathan posted this on "The Price of Liberty".

https://thepriceofliberty.org/2018/07/23/in-memoriam-mama-liberty/
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Wyomiles

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 11:21:12 pm »

I met "Mama" at a free state Wyoming get together years ago. She really was awe inspiring. I am now treasuring her big welcoming hugs which I received upon each subsequent meeting at those get togethers . I missed her each time we parted and hope that when it is my time to pass that she is one of the folks that I will get to hug again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up