The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preaching to the choir - Ditch the sody pop!  (Read 8471 times)

Dave Polaschek

• Dave's Picks
Re: Preaching to the choir - Ditch the sody pop!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 11:51:43 pm »

There's a percentage (about 1 in 5, if I'm remembering correctly) of people who have bad reactions to aspartame. It's not all that different checmically from one o' them neurotransmitters that most brains want to use, and in some cases, it confuses the brain.

My experience is that aspartame is good for exactly one thing, and that's an instant migraine. I sure miss saccharine and cyclamates.

freewoman

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 08:57:52 am »

Lightning:  I knew a guy once who worked for the Pespi company.  He said the aspartame mixture does separate pretty easily, and it does have a characteristic taste (probably due to the sugar alcohols separating).  So you weren't going crazy--it really does happen.

'Course, since diet sodas are my personal addiction, I still drink them.  Sigh.  Maybe now that I'm addicted to TCF I can withdraw from the diet sodas. . . .

PL

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 10:51:16 am »

You know, all organic and hands-on-hips, "I ain't gonna eat that processed food shite, ya hear!"

I call that being "granola."   :laugh: 

I've taken to using stevia extract in my iced tea or coffee.  It tastes a lot better than the stevia powder and it's easier to get just enough to sweeten your drink.  We've even gotten out kids away from wanting koolaid to drink.  I buy a LOT less sugar now.

On the subject of those nasty hydrogenated oils, I've switched to a product called Smart Balance.  They make a buttery spread, shortening, and other products that don't have hydrogenated oils in them and have a healthier blend of oils in them.  I still try not to overdo using them, however. 

purple kitty

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 09:10:21 pm »

Nevermind
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:38:00 pm by purple kitty »

DTOM

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2005, 12:36:14 pm »

I went to Whole Foods yesterday to get some organic stuff to can today. I tried some organic cola and root beer. The cola was all right, but the root beer was excellent!! Plus it was made from pure cane sugar and had none of the other garbage that comes in “normal” Coke.

freethinker

• Wild Woman
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 06:06:32 pm »

I stopped drinking pop about two years ago beacuse I didn't like the way it made me feel.  It's too bubbly.  I like slightly fizzy homemade wine though.  That stuff is really good, nothing like pop at all
People that spend all their time on facebook make me want to grab a nice big hard back and show their face what a real book looks like.

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2005, 02:34:46 pm »

I stopped drinking pop about two years ago beacuse I didn't like the way it made me feel. It's too bubbly. I like slightly fizzy homemade wine though. That stuff is really good, nothing like pop at all
Artificial carbonation can't be good for you... the other day my dad and I went out for dinner and he let me have a drink of his beer (I'm only 20... shh :ph34r:); it feels completely different than our homebrew. The artificial stuff tastes sharp and acidic on my tongue and makes my stomach feel like a balloon... bottle conditioned beer is a lot smoother.

I dunno if it's the same with homemade soda.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

NuclearDruid

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2005, 02:47:23 pm »

I stopped drinking pop about two years ago beacuse I didn't like the way it made me feel. It's too bubbly. I like slightly fizzy homemade wine though. That stuff is really good, nothing like pop at all
Artificial carbonation can't be good for you... the other day my dad and I went out for dinner and he let me have a drink of his beer (I'm only 20... shh :ph34r:); it feels completely different than our homebrew. The artificial stuff tastes sharp and acidic on my tongue and makes my stomach feel like a balloon... bottle conditioned beer is a lot smoother.

I dunno if it's the same with homemade soda.

I've overprimed my homebrew and gotten some really fizzy results (nearly exploded bottles). I generally short my corn sugar prime because I prefer light carbonation. Of course, I add extra baking soda to my pancake recipes because I like the batter to shoot upward like a dandelion when it hits the hot griddle. ^_^

ND
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 02:49:25 pm by NuclearDruid »
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up