The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do NOT Do That!  (Read 7410 times)

NMC_EXP

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 08:09:05 pm »

If you want to make some homemade noisemakers, just go get some black powder, or Pyrodex, or any other commercially made gunpowder, and some cannon fuse. All the finer gun shops carry them.  
They are more stable and therefore safer, and you don't have to risk getting hurt making them.

But there was this remarkable Independance Day celebration I participated in years ago.

It involved a partial case of Dynamite, a derelict farm house, barn and silo (on the property of the master of ceremonies) and a keg of beer.

Wow.....what a party (and we all can still count to ten with our shoes on and we still have binocular vison).  

I'll wager those two girls never hitchhiked again after that.
Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all...So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you.
~ Mal

Alchemist

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 08:48:12 pm »

q
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:25:37 am by Alchemist »

NMC_EXP

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 08:35:37 pm »

That was you?

Nah....I made the whole thing up.  ;)  
Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all...So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you.
~ Mal

Mutly

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 01:54:13 pm »

Permanganate and glycerol are great fun.  Especially as a chemical starter.  It also makes a nice addition to the stump removing tool box.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 01:54:39 pm by Mutly »

beech_trees

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2005, 07:14:16 pm »

I've been contemplating trying the plaster of paris thermite recipe seen in a back issue of Doing Freedom! ezine. Has anyone here read it/tried it/have any caveats?

Mutly

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 07:17:03 am »

Never seen that recipe what's in it?

I use steel wool and alumaseal radiator repair.  What I've found works great for the steel wool though is instead of burning it in a pipe I hit it with straight oxy from the welding torch.  

beech_trees

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 08:07:16 am »

Claire,

Would i be ok if I post some of the highlights from that article?

Dave

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 09:32:43 am »

I've been thinking of making my own firecrackers for Independence Day. Never did that before, but aren't they just made out of black powder rolled up in tissue paper, with a fuse sticking out? I remember a roll of cannon fuse in the little gun shop I frequent, and I've got some Triple Se7en. Tissue paper can be had for wrapping presents. Anything I need to be careful of besides limiting the amount of powder in each cracker? Is even talking about this a crime in the United Soviet States of Amerika?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:33:11 am by Bill St. Clair »
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

debra

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 09:35:40 am »

Claire,

Dave
Sure - just add a link to the original article. Danke!

Mutly

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 09:54:47 am »

Bill,

Paper is way old school.  Try duct tape...  yep I'm serious.  Take the end and fold it at an angle to make a little "football" shape.  Put powder and fuse in.  Wrap top of football and then a couple of more turns to keep it tight and sealed up.  These work nice because it's fast and also waterproof.  I've used pyrodex and regular black powder, but for real bang titanium flash powder is the best.  Good luck finding perchlorate though... :)  
Old film cannisters work nice also.

Mos2

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 10:26:01 am »

When I was a kid someone told me about using caps (the paper toy pistol kind) to make firecrackers. Caps were 'legal' but firecrackers weren't in this state. The the trick was to stick a safety pin thru the powder of the first cap in a roll, then continue down the roll accordian-style. Remove the pin and wrap the thing up in tape with a match taped over then end along with a fuse. Good for blowing up model rockets in flight...  

Dangerous though... I had one go off when pulling out the pin... fingers were tingly for hours.  <_<  

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 11:54:04 am »

Dangerous though... I had one go off when pulling out the pin... fingers were tingly for hours.  <_<
Not a fun feeling.  Had a Black Cat go off in my had one year and my arm was numb from fingertips to elbow for hours.  It's fine now, but I definitely remember.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Mutly

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 01:57:48 pm »

Always better off making your own.  Then you can be sure of quality control.   :D

beech_trees

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 06:53:34 pm »

Claire,

Dave
Sure - just add a link to the original article. Danke!
Thank you

Thoroughly Thermite

One concern I have is a chemist/explosives expert aquaintence I have (he is a consultant for an alphabet agency, and I can't really quiz him too strenuously) mentioned that powdered aluminum, if ground too fine, can spontaneously combust in the presence of oxygen.

Dave

Carl Bussjaeger

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 09:27:12 pm »

...mentioned that powdered aluminum, if ground too fine, can spontaneously combust in the presence of oxygen.
The containers aren't in front of me, but I believe one is 200 mesh and the other 400. None of it has ever spontaneously combusted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up