The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do NOT Do That!  (Read 7416 times)

Alchemist

Do NOT Do That!
« on: March 15, 2005, 07:50:47 pm »

q
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:30:12 am by Alchemist »

mi6a2lm

• http://emtaz.com
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 08:37:04 pm »

I completely agree.  However, if one, in a hypothetical world, does decide to follow directions from books with 'cool names', start with very small amounts (in whatever proportions specified) and see what happens.  (The same method can be applied to things that may or may not be safe to ingest.)  
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:04:28 pm »

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who made a batch of potassium permanganate for a demo. The stuff was REALLY sensitive - a light tap from a yardstick detonated it (complete with loud bang and cloud of purple smoke). I definitely wouldn't try making the stuff in the kitchen.
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Desertrat

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:05:56 pm »

KMnO4?  Standard high school exercise in precipitation, as I recall. :)  But that was some 55 years ago.

Wet, it's no problem.  Inert in water.  Dry?  Yup.  Whole nuther deal.

Back when Austin, Texas, had street cars and street car tracks running down the main street by the UT campus, chemistry students were wont to put about a teaspoon of this purple goodie on the tracks and let it dry in the sun.  Then a street car would come along and excitement would ensue.

Scotch-tape about a match head sized amount onto a door latch.  Door gets closed; door pops open--loudly.  Fun in the dorm...

Ah, youthful memories!

:D, 'Rat

Ted Nielsen

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:25:24 pm »

KMnO4?  Standard high school exercise in precipitation, as I recall. :)  But that was some 55 years ago.

Wet, it's no problem.  Inert in water.  Dry?  Yup.  Whole nuther deal.

Back when Austin, Texas, had street cars and street car tracks running down the main street by the UT campus, chemistry students were wont to put about a teaspoon of this purple goodie on the tracks and let it dry in the sun.  Then a street car would come along and excitement would ensue.

Scotch-tape about a match head sized amount onto a door latch.  Door gets closed; door pops open--loudly.  Fun in the dorm...

Ah, youthful memories!

:D, 'Rat
You should be in jail.  B)  

sennin

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 11:55:26 pm »

KMnO4 - Antifungal

2 SMALL crystals per gallon HOT water. For external use only. (Soak your feet) For Ringworm (Athletes Foot) foot fungal agents.

One SMALL crystal per 10 gallons hot water for chickens' drinking water. Dilute solution 2:1 for disease prevention in fowl.

One teaspoon in a small, cone shaped pile + ONE drop of glycerin = voluminous clouds of purple "smoke".

Mr. Bill

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 12:15:39 pm »

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who made a batch of potassium permanganate for a demo. The stuff was REALLY sensitive - a light tap from a yardstick detonated it (complete with loud bang and cloud of purple smoke)....
Are you sure you guys aren't thinking of nitrogen triiodide?

Potassium permanganate is stable unless it comes into contact with organic substances or other easily-oxidized substances.

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who demonstrated the thermite reaction (sometimes erroneously called a "thermite bomb") in the classroom.  Today, no doubt, he'd be arrested for terrorism.

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 01:22:11 pm »

Whoops - now that you mention it, you're right Mr Bill. It was nitrogen triiodide. Still, I know I've seen KMnO4 used somewhere...
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Ted Nielsen

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 07:25:30 pm »

Whoops - now that you mention it, you're right Mr Bill. It was nitrogen triiodide. Still, I know I've seen KMnO4 used somewhere...
It's sometimes used to remove iron from water. You can buy it at Sears. It's also an oxidizer as mentioned before.

Desertrat

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 09:48:41 pm »

Oops!  My bad!  My apologies!  Potassium Permanganate is a specific for solving one of the problems a young guy can encouter after messing around with the wrong woman. :)

KI3 -- Potassium Tri-Iodide.  The purple powder of power. :D

Almost as much of a problem as a small chunk of sodium put down a gas tank's filler neck.  Sooner or later it will roll into the condensate in the bottom.  But I wouldn't do something like that.  Too much "To whom it may concern".

I never went to Texas A&M, so I can't be blamed:  Some guy took a chunk of sodium, wrapped in a kerosene-soaked paper towel, and flushed it.  Had A&M been a navy school instead of an army school, the event would have been enshrined as "The Night That A&M Lost Its Head".

Then there was the Aggie who was majoring in Animal Husbandry -- until they caught him at it, one day.

"Tea-sipper"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:52:18 pm by Desertrat »

Jack Boone

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 11:38:17 pm »

Ah yes.  Potassium permanganate.  Mixed with water---by the professors---at Caltech in 1957 0r 58.  Used cold to make cleaned glassware really clean in qualitative analysis lab.  I was in a downstairs lab--some clown in the lab over our heads decided that if it was used hot on unwashed glassware it would save washing.

It emitted a tremendous boom.  Reinforced concrete ceiling/floor bounced a few inches.  The upstairs lab had an entire bench removed, except for twisted pipes.  The clown who did it had walked away, thereby avoiding certain death.  Ambulance men carried out nearest neighbor, who recovered.  

We never figured out whether it was the heat that did it, or the fact that the glassware was dirty.  Probably a combination.  

Never knew the concentration, but it's scary shit.

I got an A+ in the course by gaming the system.

Jack Boone

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 05:13:25 am »

I had a chemistry teacher in high school who demonstrated the thermite reaction (sometimes erroneously called a "thermite bomb") in the classroom.
Thermite?
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Desertrat

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 11:15:24 pm »

A buddy of mine was part of a group at Rice University which created "the light brighter than a thousand suns".  They scrounged aluminum and magnesium filings and shavings all over Houston, along with pounds and pounds of lathe turnings and such of iron and steel.

It wound up being about a 55-gallon drum's worth.

1.  Place drum atop nuclear reactor lab in late evening.
2.  Ignite via radio control, after full dark.
3.  See every police and fire switchboard in Houston, Texas, light up and glow.
4.  Do not enjoy the Dean's lecture the next day.

:), 'Rat

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 01:17:12 am »

There was a guy in my high school class who was into home chemistry, particularly homemade explosives.  This was a bright guy, a concert pianist.  That is he was until he blew his hand(s) to smithereens.  They pieced his hand or hands together after several hours of surgery.

For all the brainpower, his learning curve wasn't any too steep.  He kept at it, until the day he and a couple of friends loaded some explosives into a cylinder of an old engine block.  This time, the problem was a short fuse.  Once again, he spent hours on the operating table as the surgeon attempted to piece his hand back together.  Still, he was luckier than one of the guys, who caught a lethal dose of shrapnel to the head.

Basil

Bear2

Do NOT Do That!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 07:52:39 pm »

Warning! Warning! Warning Will Robinson!

Some reactions will not scale 'well'. Less than optimum results include death.
Trying something "in small amounts" before scaling it up will not preclude bad
results. Case in point: making nitroglycerin. Don't do it. (Seriously).

Creating nitro is an "exothermic" reaction. It gives off heat. Heat can set it off.
You may succeed in creating a small amount, and fail completely when scaling
it up because the cooling set up is not adequate to the task.

I've heard - and this may be an urban legend - that some of the 'recipes' in books
like the Anarchist's Cookbook have been intentionally messed with for the purpose
of removing potential anarchists from the population. Permanently. In the case of
nitro, mentioned above, all that need be done is to increase the batch size.

Please don't try this s*** unless you are working with someone competant in chemistry
who can point out the "by the way..." details that will keep you in one piece.

</sermon>

Bear

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up