The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subversive Santa  (Read 11858 times)

Codswallop

Subversive Santa
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2003, 02:17:45 pm »

300 gr 50 cal bullet at 1800 fps!!!!!!!!!
What am I missing?  That's 2158 ft. lbs. energy... I didn't think that was much for a long gun.

http://www.remington.com/remington/templat...llet_energy.asp

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Subversive Santa
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2003, 06:10:16 pm »

yer right......but it's a damn site better than a .223

The only issue I can find with this is that by neccessity a 300 grains bullet with a half inch O.D. would be very short relative to it's diameter and thus I'd be inclined to think that it's be far more well suited to short range usage.
This isn't a bad thing, but something to keep in mind.

I quite regularly hunt deer with a few ancient .45-70's that don't even perform as well as the specs given above.......but the deer still act like they've been struck by lightening......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Bear

• Curious Bear
Subversive Santa
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2003, 07:24:14 pm »

The only issue I can find with this is that by neccessity a 300 grains bullet with a half inch O.D. would be very short relative to it's diameter and thus I'd be inclined to think that it's be far more well suited to short range usage.
This isn't a bad thing, but something to keep in mind.

Zoot, I think you're right. Looking at Winchester Ammo, the energy is 2355 ft-lbs at the muzzle, but it drops
to 551 ft-lbs at 500 yards. The numbers suggest that it bleeds energy pretty quickly. I think if you need to
"reach out and touch" something at 500+ yards,  something in a .308 would make a better choice.

(Taking a quick look) The 308 Winchester Match ammo has 2680 ft-lbs at the muzzle, and 1190 ft-lbs out
at 500 yards. The drop is also a lot less; 50.7" instead of 193.7" of drop for the 45-70.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

kbarrett

Subversive Santa
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2003, 02:51:23 pm »

I've got yer long range lightning bolt right here.

It is sold without the AR-15 lower ... so there would be no paperwork on this.  :lol:

Unfortunately, they won't let me hunt Elk with .50 bmg in Oregon .......... bloody wimps ....

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Subversive Santa
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2003, 03:17:33 pm »

Yeah Bear,

But then again I'd think we'd both readily admit that that .50 AE would make one hell of a nice "housecleaning appliance"*grin*
Like I said:
A damn site better than a .223

In fact it sorta' favorably compares to a 20 gauge "turd flinger" at short(housecleaning) range and still has the ability to be used as a mid range deer or even bear gun.....lotsa' wallop in a light package.

I just wonder if it kicks as hard out the back as it does the front?
I know one of my "more" modern .45-70's when handloaded with a 475 grain slug and a moderate/heavy charge(I won't list it), recoil is almost to the point of being brutal.......

Nevertheless I'd feel quite comfortable sitting up a tree in my cedar swamp with that .50 AE, and I do think there's a definate niche for big bore autoloaders....
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up