The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of Getting a U.S. Passport?  (Read 2803 times)

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Thinking of Getting a U.S. Passport?
« on: March 30, 2005, 05:40:11 pm »

Deadlines loom for RFID tracking chips in USA passports
Excerpt:
There's "still time for USA citizens to get a new passport without an embedded RFID remote tracking chip -- but if you want one, you should apply at once. The Department of State is moving as fast as it can (slowed down only by technical difficulties -- RFID chips are proving more difficult to manufacture, more fragile, and less reliable than their boosters have claimed) toward the rollout of the new "electronic passports". And there's still no plan to encrypt any of the information on the RFID chip. Each chip will be digitally "signed" by the State Department, but that's for authentication, not as a control on access to the data.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 07:19:49 pm »

And here's something you'll really like. I've read that providing an SSN isn't mandatory for getting a passport. Here's what the State Department says:
If you do not provide your Social Security Number, the Internal Revenue Service may impose a $500 penalty. If you have any questions please call your nearest IRS office.
:blink:  

FreedomSight

David

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 08:10:25 pm »

Remember,
for now at least, the local cops don't have access to the state department data base,
and a passport does NOT have your address on it only your name and birth date

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:16:08 am »

And here's something you'll really like. I've read that providing an SSN isn't mandatory for getting a passport. Here's what the State Department says:
If you do not provide your Social Security Number, the Internal Revenue Service may impose a $500 penalty. If you have any questions please call your nearest IRS office.
:blink:
You can still get a p'port without SSN. So it's correct that it's not mandatory.

As to the threat of $500 fines ... I've never known a single person with an SSN-less passport, who ever suffered such a consequence.

I do not know the inner workings of the IRS, so the following is just guesswork. But IMHO, the whole threat is a bit ridiculous on the face of it. The IRS files everybody under their SSN. No SSN? The IRS-bots aren't set up to process the data. They could match your Evil Passport Violation to your tax records if they wanted to -- by address, DOB, etc. But that would take actual work. It also takes work on the part of the State Dept. to report you to the IRS. Do you suppose every one of those busy little clerks stops to fill out the snitch reports on every person who refuses to give an SSN? Doubt it.

Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

byron

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 05:18:42 pm »

By 2008, a photo ID or birth certificate will not be enough to cross the border of Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas... any country that previously did not require  a passport. At that point one will have to have a passport.  

David

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 05:20:44 pm »

By 2008, a photo ID or birth certificate will not be enough to cross the border of Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas... any country that previously did not require  a passport. At that point one will have to have a passport.

Actually you can travel any where in the world you want without a passport

byron

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 06:06:42 pm »

OK, I'll bite...tell me more.

David

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 06:33:51 pm »

If you have to ask...

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 10:16:32 pm »

If you have to ask...
[sing song voice] I know something you don't know
I know something you don't know [/sing song voice]

Please, take a trip to Iraq without a passport and write and tell us how you are doing.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 10:19:47 pm by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 10:42:00 pm »

You can still get a p'port without SSN. So it's correct that it's not mandatory.

As to the threat of $500 fines ... I've never known a single person with an SSN-less passport, who ever suffered such a consequence.

I do not know the inner workings of the IRS, so the following is just guesswork. But IMHO, the whole threat is a bit ridiculous on the face of it. The IRS files everybody under their SSN. No SSN? The IRS-bots aren't set up to process the data. They could match your Evil Passport Violation to your tax records if they wanted to -- by address, DOB, etc. But that would take actual work. It also takes work on the part of the State Dept. to report you to the IRS. Do you suppose every one of those busy little clerks stops to fill out the snitch reports on every person who refuses to give an SSN? Doubt it.
Well, it's true that things would be much worse if the U.S. Bureaucracy were, as a whole, more competent, I guess it comes down to whether you, or I, or others who care, want to bet $500 against it. It comes down to the same old thing. "There's no way to rule innocent men ...", so instead they hang the threat over people's heads.

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 12:41:01 am »

And oh, BTW, you'll need on in order to re-enter from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Panama soon.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:52:52 am by rockchucker »

FreedomSight

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 12:51:07 am »

And oh, BTW, you'll need to re-enter from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Panama soon.
If people would stop encouraging the criminals with statements like
"I guess it's great for the security of the country, but it's not very good for the economics of any business that surrounds the borders," Richardson said.
shit, I don't know how I want to finish my sentence. I am just seeing red, is all.

How long before we need them to cross state borders (which I have been anticipating will be brought about by something as simple as driving to a nearby low tobacco tax state to purchase smokes or now traveling to a nearby no paperwork required state to purchase kegs of beer)?

Oh, for Lysander Spooner's sake  :angry:  :angry:
No other document, such as a birth certificate, is considered an acceptable substitute for the passport at this time. The department is planning to add other travel document options as they become available.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:54:39 am by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)
Pages: [1]   Go Up