The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yeow!!!  (Read 3335 times)

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Yeow!!!
« on: April 08, 2005, 12:39:21 pm »

Could the tide be turning?

Schools Woo Homeschoolers
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

byron

Yeow!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 12:56:39 pm »

I'd be too paranoid to trust that the tide is turning. Ulterior motives by government are at the heart of the matter. Give an inch and they will claim they own the mile. It's an "in" to sticking their collectivist noses into the homeschooler's life.  

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
Yeow!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 01:12:11 pm »

I'd be too paranoid to trust that the tide is turning. Ulterior motives by government are at the heart of the matter. Give an inch and they will claim they own the mile. It's an "in" to sticking their collectivist noses into the homeschooler's life.
Enrollment has been dropping steadily as timber jobs have dried up, and Oregon's budget cuts have left Myrtle Point facing a $675,000 gap for next year. Since Oregon bases its state school funding on enrollment, every home-schooled child Myrtle Point can woo means an extra $5,000 or so. An estimated 100 youngsters living in the district are home-schooled.

Although what debeez might have meant is the tide is turning in that an increasing number of people are choosing to home school.

If only the home schoolers wouldn't encourage these burro-craps by aksing is it ok to let my child in your indoctrination centers so's they can music up or play a sport or WTF was that about "...usually for specialty courses such as music, art or science that are more difficult for parents to teach at home...?"  :wacko:
Mommy, make these bad people go away. :rolleyes:  
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Yeow!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 02:17:35 pm »

Yeah, the thought occurred to me that the PTB's are trying to soft approach first...then they will turn to demonizing/legislating hs'ers if they don't get significant bites.

What I liked in particular about the article is that it pretty clearly spelled it out...this is about MONEY not what is best for the children.

I ran into a couple of public school teachers while I was earning my Associate's degree.  They both looked at me real careful...I think they were looking for that second head or devil's horns...and of course made sure to tell me, in kind and compassionate tones, that I could have my child tested in the school (to make sure she was at 'grade level').

I also have gone back and forth on the idea of letting my homeschooled child take limited classes at the local public school.  The arguments of 'the resource is there why not take advantage of it' constantly clashes with 'give the government an inch and they will take a mile'.
Christine

Bear2

Yeow!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 02:23:07 pm »

That school board member seems to think that Public Schools own the children.

Bear

NuclearDruid

Yeow!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 02:54:04 pm »

When trying to move a mule, might I suggest liberal use of both the carrot and the stick. :P

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Yeow!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:01:32 pm »

That school board member seems to think that Public Schools own the children.

He is better known as a successful product of the public school system.

Convenience!  Pish posh!  Anyone who homeschools knows it isn't about convenience.  He shows his abysmal ignorance by saying such a thing.  Which is fine by me, maybe it will convince others to open their eyes and start protecting their children from the likes of him.
Christine

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Yeow!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 04:53:30 pm »

The thing that jumped out at me in that article was the $675,000 budget gap...!  And this in a town of 2,700?  There was another mention in there someplace of another situation where they had a $200,000 budget gap and "built a new education center" somehow,  even with all of that.

Reminds me of that bit when I was reading John Taylor Gatto's book online (here) where he talked about one area in New England where they went from four smallish schools that were spread around the area and equally convenient and accessible to everyone that lived there to one bigger school,  closing the others,  and forcing the majority of the students to end up riding buses.

Centralization!  Bureaucracy!  Bigger is better!

Yeah,  right...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
Yeow!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 04:09:05 pm »

Anyone who homeschools knows it isn't about convenience.

I must say it is mighty convenient not to have to drag myself out of a warm bed at 6 am to get my kids ready to catch the bus at 7!

And it sure saves money not to have to fight the crowds to buy school supplies and clothes every August.  

And I don't have to spend 2 hours helping with homework every night.

And I don't have to spend my weekends un-doctrinating them.

And my kids don't get sick near as often.

And it sure makes my life a lot less stressful!

And, and, and.....    :D    

Docliberty

Yeow!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 06:25:20 pm »

The thing that jumped out at me in that article was the $675,000 budget gap...! And this in a town of 2,700?

With an enrollment of 779 and $5,000.00 per student that is about $3.9 million.  With 100 students being homeschooled, that is $500,000.00 that they are not getting.  They might have to cut an administrator or two.  How terrible :o

Yes, in the end, it really is about the money.  These people have grown fat and sassy at the public trough for the past few decades.  They looked at homeschoolers (if they looked at us at all) with the "ain't that cute" attitude.  For the past decade, we have kicked their collective asses academically.  Now we have grown enough in numbers to affect them financially.  Now we will see their true colors, but IMHO it is too late for them.  But it should make for a good show. :rolleyes:

We'll see the practical application of RAH's quote from "To Sail Beyond the Sunset"; "If the question is 'Why don't they?' the answer is money".  They will have less and less money to work with as more and more parents choose to homeschool.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 06:29:15 pm by Docliberty »
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Yeow!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 04:51:27 pm »

The thing that jumped out at me in that article was the $675,000 budget gap...! And this in a town of 2,700?

With an enrollment of 779 and $5,000.00 per student that is about $3.9 million.  With 100 students being homeschooled, that is $500,000.00 that they are not getting.  They might have to cut an administrator or two.  How terrible :o

Aw,  poor babies...!

Yes, in the end, it really is about the money.  These people have grown fat and sassy at the public trough for the past few decades.

It's worse here,  with "school districts" having direct taxing authority.

They looked at homeschoolers (if they looked at us at all) with the "ain't that cute" attitude.  For the past decade, we have kicked their collective asses academically.

Something I've rather enjoyed watching.  :-)

Now we have grown enough in numbers to affect them financially.  Now we will see their true colors, but IMHO it is too late for them.  But it should make for a good show. :rolleyes:

We'll see the practical application of RAH's quote from "To Sail Beyond the Sunset"; "If the question is 'Why don't they?' the answer is money".  They will have less and less money to work with as more and more parents choose to homeschool.

Only in the sense that the money is tied to the number of students.  In all too many instances parents (and even non-parents) are _all_ forced to pay taxes that support this stuff,  and have been for a really long time.  I've heard all sorts of nonsense being tossed out in the past couple of years here in PA regarding "alternative school funding" and a bunch of different things have been proposed,  but none of it ever seems to go anywhere.  I guess having a D governor and a R legislature might have some bearing on this.

That's one of the RAH books I haven't read yet.  Anybody got a copy they can part with?
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Yeow!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 07:22:14 pm »

In case anyone is interested in contacting Mr. King, I found him listed on the Myrtle Point School District website...
Dal King     Position 5     541/572-2640

And some general contact info for this school district....

212 Spruce Street
Myrtle Point, OR 97458
FAX: 541/572-5401

And a email address: For more information contact Jodi Bouska at jbouska@mpsd.k12.or.us

Christine
Pages: [1]   Go Up