The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cell phones and brain tumors...  (Read 1507 times)

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
Cell phones and brain tumors...
« on: May 18, 2005, 02:57:16 pm »

Here's a question I always have for those claiming cell phones may increase the odds of brain cancer:

"Why aren't there concerns for increased chances of skin and bone cancer?  Those EM waves have to pass through your ears and skull before they get to your brain.  And, both skin and bone cells replicate, increasing the odds of a mutation spreading faster."

So, if any 'research group' focuses on brain tumors but isn't concerned about skin and bone cancer, then I write them off as alarmists.  Any scientist worth their salt would investigate the tissues that are exposed to the higher levels of radiation first (i.e., the skin).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 02:58:47 pm by mantispid »
"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 03:35:22 pm »

Mmmm, could be they'd investigate brain tumors first to verify or debunk claims being widely made?

Could be brain tissue might be affected more than skin or bone?

Could be some other team is investigating skin or bone?

I don't know. I have zip expertise in this area and as I mumbled and muttered on the blog, I make no claims. But I wouldn't write a research team off as alarmist just because they focused on the brain. They might, in fact, be hoping to counter the alarmism of others.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 04:56:36 pm »

Perhaps so, but if one is trying to *show* an increased cancer rate, one should be providing evidence for skin and bone tumors as well.  Otherwise, you have a basic correlation study, and that means absolutely nothing if trying to show causation.  Remember, correlation is not evidence of causation.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem that the general public knows this.  One can find interest group and government studies on correlations *everywhere*.  They mean absolutely nothing unless they are able to bring in additional data to move away from the basic correlation study model.

A simple mental note to keep in mind:

Crime increases as the number of  churches increase in an area.

Does this mean churches cause crime?  It is a possibility, but one can't know for certain.

What is more likely is that there is a 3rd (or 4th, and 5th, etc.) factor.  Such as, population increases lead to increased crime.  Population increases lead to increased churches.  The common factor is the population increase.  

So, just because A is assocated with B doesn't mean A causes B, or vice versa.

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".
Pages: [1]   Go Up