The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Claire's State of the Union Speech  (Read 6017 times)

Augustwest

Claire's State of the Union Speech
« on: January 21, 2004, 10:36:13 am »

You said it Sister!

Got a warm chuckle out of the brave few Congesscreeps who clapped when GWB mentioned portions the Patriot Ack sunsetting.

Particularly loved the allusion to amending the Constitution in order to "protect the sanctity of marriage."  :angry:  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

debra

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 11:18:29 am »

I told myself I wasn't going to watch it, since I just start yelling at the TV like my husband on Superbowl Sunday. So I'm flipping through channels (which was entertaining in itself; Bush's face was on nearly every channel, like Big Brother or something...EVEN the Spanish channel!). Anyway, I gave in and paused briefly...just as he was spouting off on the marriage thing.  

The husband took away my remote. <sigh>

debra

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 11:27:07 am »

DAMNIT!!!  If I had known about this, I *would* have watched, and had a good time!  State of the Union Drinking Game

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 11:49:15 am »

Particularly loved the allusion to amending the Constitution in order to "protect the sanctity of marriage."  :angry:
Amazing innit? Here's a guy who thinks marriage between two people of the same sex is perverted. But who thinks that a menage between a man, a woman, and the federal government is sacred and "traditional" marriage.

And millions of "conservatives" agree.  :blink:

Thanks for the smile, Augustwest. When I wrote that blog entry, I was actually so brimming with things I wanted to say about specific parts of Bush's speech that I found myself too flustered to say any of them. But my favorite parts were the one where he bragged about our war partners ... Bulgaria and El Salvadore??? ... and where he talked about helping the poor little children of prisoners. Hey, Mr. Bush! You might help them by not putting so many of their parents in prison!!!!

Another writer friend (who has to pay attention to Bush for a living, if you can imagine such a horrorshow) was most flummoxed over the reference to "when I was with our troops in the Pacific."

Well, yes ... A photo op in San Diego harbor, with the skyline visible in the background does sort of qualify as "the Pacific." It's not exactly Midway or Guadalcanal. But ...
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 12:09:04 pm »

Just glad a smile can be eked out of such heinous claptrap (there's a phrase you don't see often), Ms. W.

I really oughta learn to follow the examples of folks I respect. A couple of people in whom I hold high regard declined to watch last night. I'm sure their heads hit their pillows in a better state than mine.

Bulgaria and El Salvadore???

Hate to admit it, but if I were an average sheep, and prone to getting whipped up into an ameriphilic frenzy without thinking, that portion of the address would have been quite effective.  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:21:07 pm »

I can honestly say that I did not know there was a speech until I saw people blogging it this morning.

I was too busy trying to figure out how I'm going to get linux to recognize my NIC without just buying a new one.  There's a bit of irony in there.  While I'm trying to secure my system from the Union's goons, the leader of the goons is giving a speech about how wonderful the Union is.  *chuckle*
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 12:34:43 pm »

I really oughta learn to follow the examples of folks I respect. A couple of people in whom I hold high regard declined to watch last night. I'm sure their heads hit their pillows in a better state than mine.

Personally, I knew better than to watch that much exposure to the criminal liar currently posing as the President. I see red every time I see the bastard's face. So instead of going to the bar to watch his tripe (I refuse to have a television at home) I simply went over to the home of one of the founders of FIJA, where we smoked up some weed and watched in total pleasure a new Alex Jones film. That film had all the "political" people I'd care to watch: Cynthia McKinney and Ron Paul.

So instead of screening Bush's bullshit for Govlish memes last night, as I perhaps should have done, I drew some fine inspiration from Jones, Paul, and the spiritually-poetic McKinney. This morning I awoke feeling refreshed for having pointed my focus last night on real liberty fighters, instead of watching a room-full of idiots acting like idiots surrounding the King Idiot. LOL!
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 02:37:25 pm »

I made the mistake of watching it last year (my roommate at the time was a staunch Christian Republican and all-around Good Citizen™). This year, I watched a stupidly funny movie (which included the comment "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky - but I am wearing her underwear") and read a chunk of Cryptonomicon.

If I were a bit more apathetic, I could have a great time watching the speeches and throwing in a running MST3K-like commentary. But alas, I just end up like Debra.  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 03:05:24 pm »

I couldn't bring myself even to listen to it. I'd forgotten about it, also, until that writer friend -- who really does have to keep track of every idiocy these idiots commit -- started launching absolutely fulminating messages about GWB at my computer. Then I read the transcript. Mostly so I could assure him no, he hasn't gone crazy -- our politician-in-chief has.

Can you imagine choosing work that requires you not only to listen to every foul utterance from a Bush, Ridge, Hutchinson, or Ashcroft but to download and read the entire text of bills and regulations?

And then can you imagine doing that for a living -- and staying *sane*?
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 03:07:12 pm »

This year, I watched a stupidly funny movie (which included the comment "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky - but I am wearing her underwear")
So, you going to share the title for us DVD devotees? A good moron movie sounds like a great antidote to real-life morons.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:11:02 pm by Claire »

David

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 03:32:23 pm »

This year, I watched a stupidly funny movie (which included the comment "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewinsky - but I am wearing her underwear")
So, you going to share the title for use DVD devotees? A good moron movie sounds like a great antidote to real-life morons.

Well I don't know the one that, Ian mentioned...
 Bit for good Moron movies:

Cheech and Chong's  Up In Smoke
Especially since Tommy Chong is currently in prison for selling perfectly legal items and making fun of the government

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Home Fries
Maybe not quite a "moron" movie but still how can you not love a movie with the line
"you can't be both the babies brother and father, that's the kind'a thing that screws a kid up"

Life of Brian

The Green Berets

Any drug war propaganda

If you would rather read;

Any of the Asterix comix

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 05:12:16 pm »

David said
Any drug war propaganda

The following can be found on a DVD of Douglas Fairbank's film The Gaucho.  I saw this back in the early 70s along with Reefer Madness which was originally an anti-drug propaganda film, but became a sort of cult classic.  I second The Life of Brian.

The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916)
Extras Review: The disc includes several slightly annotated stories from the pressbook materials. These emphasize the effects and stunts as well as Fairbanks' writing of the script. They're interesting, particularly in the notes on how the cattle stampede was accomplished.

But the real highlight of the disc is Fairbanks' infamous 1916 drug comedy, The Mystery of the Leaping Fish. In this, Fairbanks sends up Sherlock Holmes with his drug-addled detective Coke Ennyday. Shooting up from the bandolier of syringes he wears is Coke's only joy in life. However, he is summoned by the police of Short Beach to investigate a mysterious fellow, Fishy Joe (A.D. Sears) who has loads of money with no visible means of support. Coke is quickly on the job, fortifying himself regularly with a variety of drugs and alcohol, snorting cocaine by the handful. At the beach, he learns that Fishy Joe is threatening the fish-blower Inane (Bessie Love), who inflates the leaping fish that are the main attraction there. Mishap follows mishap as the intoxicated sleuth muddles his way to a solution of the mystery, in between chowing down on handfuls of opium. Written by Lon Chaney collaborator, Tod Browning, this two-reel comedy is uproarious even today, with a sophistication and wit finely leavened with slapstick goofiness. This is by far one of the most entertaining two-reelers from the silent era I've ever seen. An essential film for silent film buffs or anyone with an interest in the history of America's drug culture.

Transferred from 35mm materials, it's generally gorgeous and crisp, although there are a number of jolting edits that lead me to suspect some major splice repairs. The picture is easily followed nonetheless. The musical score is an outstanding giddy guitar by Larry Marotta, backed up by a warbly trombone and bass. It fits the picture perfectly and is highly enjoyable in its own right. The recommendation rating is on the strength of this extra, which I found as entertaining as anything I've seen in the last year.

The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 05:12:35 pm »

I sympathize, Debra... we watched Firefly; which is refreshingly polar to G.W. ;)  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

David

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 05:29:36 pm »

David said
Any drug war propaganda

The following can be found on a DVD of Douglas Fairbank's film The Gaucho.  I saw this back in the early 70s along with Reefer Madness which was originally an anti-drug propaganda film, but became a sort of cult classic.  I second The Life of Brian.

[

Reefer Madness, What a great film,
 :rolleyes:

Back in My youth, ( and yes I had one)
One of My friends used to have these great movie parties, everyone would be on a bean bag chair, a large hookah was in the center (you only had to pass a hose not a whole bong), and we would show a film on the ceiling, (16MM WAY before VHS kids) reefer madness was a favorite.. :P

Those were the days My  friend, we thought they'd never end...

:rolleyes:  

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 07:16:28 pm »

It was Mafia. Be warned, it's REALLY stupid. :)
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up