The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ismists and free markets  (Read 1842 times)

Vydunas

Ismists and free markets
« on: May 24, 2005, 12:56:17 pm »

Re: http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/00001418.html

I remember a long time ago (early 80s?), before widespread GPS, there was an article in Reason on how to user-price private highways, and about how a nifty little black-box type gismo could keep track of whose roads you drove on and at what time. Obviously they didn't think of the user base of government roads. Now we have black boxes, On-Star, states like Oregon trying to tax by the mile. Yes, Reason showed us the path to freedom!

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Ismists and free markets
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 03:01:26 pm »

Re: http://www.clairewolfe.com/wolfesblog/00001418.html

I remember a long time ago (early 80s?), before widespread GPS, there was an article in Reason on how to user-price private highways, and about how a nifty little black-box type gismo could keep track of whose roads you drove on and at what time. Obviously they didn't think of the user base of government roads. Now we have black boxes, On-Star, states like Oregon trying to tax by the mile. Yes, Reason showed us the path to freedom!
Funny, I remember that article. Even though I was all hot for the "privatization" notion at that time (believing -- stupidly -- that it was a form of "gradualism" on the road to freedom), I remember reading that vision of roads tracking traffic and having my first really uneasy feeling about Reason.  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Pagan

Ismists and free markets
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 04:40:20 pm »

I remember reading that vision of roads tracking traffic and having my first really uneasy feeling about Reason.

DITTO...

Vydunas

Ismists and free markets
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 11:12:50 am »

Funny, I remember that article. Even though I was all hot for the "privatization" notion at that time (believing -- stupidly -- that it was a form of "gradualism" on the road to freedom), I remember reading that vision of roads tracking traffic and having my first really uneasy feeling about Reason.
Well, you got to The Clue Store a lot sooner than I did, then. "It'll be a company running it; THEY wouldn't do anything to compromise privacy, would they?" We never dreamed then of a Department of Homeland Security (hey, that's what the Army was for!), let alone Larry Ellison osculating its derriere. And I had no clue then as to what the Devil Box and its associated Internet would do for better and worse for the flow of information.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Ismists and free markets
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 12:36:50 pm »

Oh, fear not. My hard-bought Clue is often defective, broken, or lost in the mail.

In fact, I was thinking about that little lament I wrote that inspired you to start this thread ...

When I was young -- and much smarter but less Clueful than I am now -- I believed that the only really good philosophy would be one that no adherent could muck up. It would be so clear in its rightness that nobody who adopted it could distort its principles, no matter what their life experiences or psychological make-up. (Did I mention just exactly how bad my Lack of Clue really was, back then? I also believed in the perfectability of mankind ... and expected it would take maybe another 200 years.)

Now it's obvious that if one person actually somehow managed to invent the World's One True Great Philosophy, the second person to adopt it would completely screw it up. (For every Jesus, a Paul quickly comes along with his own quite different, or even contrary, agenda.)

It's silly of me to be surprised that the worst sort of power-mongering statists could turn "privatization" into a means of gaining more centralized control. But there it is. Hope still overrides Clue at times. And then ya wake up and go *&^%$#@!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:38:07 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

LawyerZeke

Ismists and free markets
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 03:14:50 pm »

Claire said

Now it's obvious that if one person actually somehow managed to invent the World's One True Great Philosophy, the second person to adopt it would completely screw it up. (For every Jesus, a Paul quickly comes along with his own quite different, or even contrary, agenda.)

This is the really sad thing. Even if/when the time comes to shoot the bastids, it is highly likely that when the dust settles we would be at least no better off than now, and quite likely much worse off.  The American Revolution was an anomaly--the more usual pattern is that of the French Revolution, where a lot of people get butchered and a very repressive state takes over in the name of idealogical purity. I seriously doubt that you could ever get any sizeable population to live by libertarian-type principles--the temptation to "do good" is just too great.

Speaker

Ismists and free markets
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 01:35:35 am »

Post deleted.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 03:27:26 am by Speaker »

Vydunas

Ismists and free markets
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 09:20:04 am »

When I was young -- and much smarter but less Clueful than I am now -- I believed that the only really good philosophy would be one that no adherent could muck up.
Oh, they exist. But the people who muck them up aren't True Adherents.  ;)  
Pages: [1]   Go Up