The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the ladies and their loves  (Read 8727 times)

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
For the ladies and their loves
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2003, 06:58:09 am »

Thank you, Sunni, for this beautiful piece. IMHO, people who defy aging are simply trying to fake reality and, with reality, fake themselves. One day, they ill have to wake up and face the truth, no matter how many lbs of silicone and titanium they have had implanted. I think it is better to accept yourself the way you are and shape yourself the way you live. Live at ease with yourself and you ill love whatever you'll turn up to become. Live at ar with yourself and you'll lose...

rick
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

cowardly lion

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2003, 08:24:07 am »

sunni, i thank you as well.  

this is an issue my wife is struggling with.  i do my best to convince her that she is as beautiful as ever, that years cannot fade her charm, but all she can see is the difference in her body over the 25 years we've been married.

i am going to ensure she sees your essay on cronehood.

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

Sunni

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2003, 01:06:16 pm »

Rick wrote:
Thank you, Sunni, for this beautiful piece. IMHO, people who defy aging are simply trying to fake reality ...

:D As a very dear friend analogized it, "It's like saying 'I've come to terms with the existence of gravity.'"

Cowardly Lion wrote:
this is an issue my wife is struggling with. i do my best to convince her that she is as beautiful as ever, that years cannot fade her charm, but all she can see is the difference in her body over the 25 years we've been married.

I think that while plenty of people are trying to fake reality -- with disastrous results, as Rick pointed out -- for many others, it's more a matter of valuing what our culture has taught them to value -- youth -- even when theirs is past.

I can't speak for men, of course, never having been one, but for women it seems particularly hard, as so many older men do trade in for a younger "trophy wife". The look of youth, for women, means fertility, and evolutionary theory explains why older men marry younger women in those terms -- childbearing potential. But I digress ...

Thank you both for adding your comments to this thread. It really does mean a lot to me.

rick

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2003, 04:28:00 pm »

Well, it is the same with men: Look at those poor wretches who cover their bald head with the remaining three hairs wrapped three times around his skate rink or that German chancellor who went to court because a reporter had stated that he was dying his hair, which he still does. Those spam mails, advertising penis enlargements don't come out of thin air either. I bet that men beat women in vanity... ...and in faking reality. I know coleagues who rather make a fool of themselves than wear glasses... ad infinitum.
So I think it is not a question of gender if you can live in peace with yourself or not. It is, as always, a question of personality.
rick

Sunni

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 10:19:03 am »

Well, it is the same with men ....

I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that men can't be vain, too, or try to fake reality. I was simply pointing out that there's an explanation based in biology for why many women try to maintain a youthful look.

So I think it is not a question of gender if you can live in peace with yourself or not. It is, as always, a question of personality.

I didn't mean to suggest it is. I do think it's accurate to say that one's sex can influence these and other elements of one's way of being. Wouldn't you agree with that?

rick

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2003, 04:02:58 pm »

I agree absolutely, no problem ;-)
rick

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up