The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good News on Traveling  (Read 5818 times)

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
Good News on Traveling
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2004, 04:43:08 pm »

I have been working in large companioes for a long time and I can think up another reason why you SHOULD book american airlines: it gives you the chance to see your boss humiliated by "cavity search" and fingerprinting - who would not pay to see his boss effed into the ass? ;-)
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

Daniel Boone

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2004, 06:50:23 pm »

I swore off bosses in November of '99.  Yeah, it cut into the cash flow, but I sleep better and I'm a lot more fun to be around if I say so myself.

If I did allow myself to have bosses, I'd probably have to fly, too.   :(  

Hidden_Variable

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 08:40:54 am »

I've been driving for long trips as well, ever since I bought my car. And I don't use motels...I do my resting at Rest Areas. Not only is it cheaper, but waking up freezing cold is an effective way to get an early start in the morning. :P

In any case, I'm using carrying too much luggage (and way too many guns) to fly even if I wanted to.
A man after my own heart. Me too. Haven't flown since July '01.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Good News on Traveling
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 09:04:15 am »

Have you noticed that the news media sometimes reports on the decline in passenger-miles by talking about the people who are "still afraid to fly"? 

Bushwah.

Dan'l, that is a really good point. I've been boycotting the airlines since 1997 (back when it was just ID checks and stupid questions about whether you had allowed any dark-skinned strangers in burnooses to insert mysteriously ticking objects into your carryons). And I've been struck time and time again -- though I've never articulated it as you did -- by the media's utter refusal to see or admit that some people who won't fly are doing so because they're pissed off, insulted, indignant, principled, etc.

Just "afraid."

Bushwah indeed. But why won't the even acknowledge that this boycott is going on? Obviously, it's very widespread.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:06:40 am by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Delos

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 10:41:35 am »

Airline free since April, 2002!

Hey, anyone remember Suprynowizc's signature (IMO) piece, "All Armed, All Smoking Airlines," or something like that?

What a brilliant bit of work! This was long before Vin went beserk after 9-11, of course. Haven't see much of Vin lately.

Too bad he snapped like that. I used to have the utmost respect for his work.

Scarmiglione'

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2004, 11:04:21 am »

My job puts me in parallel to the airline industry, so I can say that from my perspective, the airlines are so in bed with government and so infused with government-like-mentatlity that a general industry boycott has never even crossed their minds.  It is pure fantasy, even when their own people (such as myself) are participating in the boycott (I haven't flown since August 2000).  In their minds, it's simply inconceivable that someone would not want to travel by plane for political reasons.  The only possible reason any human might have for not flying is childish fear.  They know the security hassle was a problem for a while, but that isn't "their" problem.  They don't feel any responsibility to get involved.  Where they do feel the need to get involved is in making sure that  competition gets legislated out of business.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:05:19 am by scarmig »
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Vydunas

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 11:36:46 am »

What a brilliant bit of work! This was long before Vin went beserk after 9-11, of course. Haven't see much of Vin lately.

OK, I can't let this one pass. He's STILL doing brilliant work. Even if you don't agree with his take on Iraq.

The reason you haven't seen much of Vin is that he's trying to maximize profits from his writing. So if you don't sign up for his reports, you don't see a lot of his stuff. I have the lowest-level membership (1 year free with his autograph and the purchase of one of his books at the OH LP con.), and what I seem to mostly get are reprints from the LVRJ. At least they are more often local-issue oriented. You need to go to http://www.privacyalert.us and explore your options if you're interested in all his offerings.

beech_trees

Good News on Traveling
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 01:19:03 pm »

OK, I can't let this one pass. He's STILL doing brilliant work. Even if you don't agree with his take on Iraq.

The reason you haven't seen much of Vin is that he's trying to maximize profits from his writing. So if you don't sign up for his reports, you don't see a lot of his stuff. I have the lowest-level membership (1 year free with his autograph and the purchase of one of his books at the OH LP con.), and what I seem to mostly get are reprints from the LVRJ. At least they are more often local-issue oriented. You need to go to http://www.privacyalert.us and explore your options if you're interested in all his offerings.
What is Vin's take on Iraq?

Silver

• thrivalist
Good News on Traveling
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2004, 05:23:43 pm »

nevermind
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 02:50:44 pm by Silver »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up