The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Don't *Do* Math!  (Read 7354 times)

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2005, 08:32:23 am »

I was a carpenter for 25+ years. In constructing a home, one uses alegebra and geometry constantly.
One example: You need to order lumber for rafters for your roof. How long must they be? Simple, use A squared + B squared = C squared.
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 11:12:56 am »

Shorty - you'd never see anything useful like that used as examples in algebra class.

I got my 11 year old son to gleefully endorse several geometry concepts by using baseball diamonds as an example. As assistant coach, I used to arrive early so we could set up the field.

With one tape measure, it's possible to set up the baseball field with 3 people, and it will always be accurate. Naturally, I turned it into a geometry lesson.

Schools simply use boring examples that simply don't apply to children's interests. The children are then turned off of math - forever.

Imagine what can be used to teach integrals & differentiations!

'Bug
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

NuclearDruid

I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 12:01:46 pm »

Canned curriculum has much in common with canned food. The public education system would have you believe that someone who dispenses the state-approved lessons is a "Teacher". Would you call a person who heats up a can of Spagetti-O's a "Chef"? :rolleyes:

Regarding making advanced math concepts fun, I'd like to link Don Cohen's page:
The Mathman

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Kirsten

I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 12:12:57 pm »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:16:54 am by Kirsten »

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2005, 10:37:42 pm »

Canned curriculum has much in common with canned food. The public education system would have you believe that someone who dispenses the state-approved lessons is a "Teacher". Would you call a person who heats up a can of Spagetti-O's a "Chef"? :rolleyes:

Ooh!  Good one...    :-)

Regarding making advanced math concepts fun, I'd like to link Don Cohen's page:
The Mathman

Loaded in another tab in my browser as I type this.  I could use some fun in math.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

NuclearDruid

Re: I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:07 pm »

Won't follow the state-sanctioned curriculum? Take a hike!

Substitute Teacher Fired, Accused of Teaching Students Wizardry

"You've been accused of wizardry!"

"Wizardry?"

The school district claims Piculas had some other issues too like not following lesson plans. Piculas says he's worried he won't be able to get future teaching jobs.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

FreeTraveler

• The Tireless Agorist - @AgoristDon
    • The Tireless Agorist
Re: I Don't *Do* Math!
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

As in so many things, Robert Heinlein is right again:

the 3-legged stool of understanding is held up by history, languages, and mathematics. Equipped with these three you can learn anything you want to learn. But if you lack any one of them you are just another ignorant peasant with dung on your boots.
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest.

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up