The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lucy the Mutt  (Read 1494 times)

velojym

Lucy the Mutt
« on: July 17, 2005, 02:34:14 pm »

Three weeks ago, we met this mutt named Lucy, two weeks ago we picked her up and brought her to our new home. There was some concern about bringing her in before we'd gotten settled, but after spending a bit of time with her, there was no question. She had to come home with us.
Lucy is mostly German Shorthaired Pointer (We think...) and is the sweetest dog I've known. Spock, my Border Collie/Coyote was a great pooch, but I think he was smarter than I was, and let me know it all the time. He was extremely loyal (that is, knew who bought the food) and I was horribly upset when he died. It's been years, and I've finally opened up enough to let another one in, and we're all pretty happy with that.
9 months old, will hold herself until she explodes rather than mess on the carpet, doesn't chew the furniture (anything she knows belongs to her, though, is fair game), loves to accompany us on long walks and is figuring out the whole 'fetch' thing. Her favorite toy is a squeaky owl. She knows to stay off the furniture and won't even pretend to consider the idea,  if we are home. We come home quietly sometimes and catch her on the sofa watching TV, Errol (her owl) and a couple of squeaky balls arrayed around her.
We haven't berated her much because she's done no damage at all.
Lucy's already a member of the family, and I see some good times ahead.
 :D  

Lightning

• Heheheh...
Lucy the Mutt
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:20:28 pm »

:)  Cool.  B)

May you all have a long and happy life together, and not too much doggie slobber on your shoes!  Arf!
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Lucy the Mutt
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 08:40:23 pm »

Lucy's already a member of the family, and I see some good times ahead.
 :D
Aw, velojym, that's wonderful news -- especially after waiting so many years. May the good times be even better than you hope.

You had a border collie/coyote mix? Yow! There's a dog that'll outsmart you, outrun you, and practically read your mind. Lucy sounds like a whole different sort.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Old Gray Tired RN

Lucy the Mutt
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 01:11:54 am »

Vel, Great news about your new dog.  We have two dogs, and they add so much to our home/family. Ours are both rescue dogs.  

RN

velojym

Lucy the Mutt
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:33:28 pm »

Yah, Claire, I just accepted Spock's wit and ability and rolled with it. Some of the local kids were confused when he had 'em herded together in the yard :).
Y'know, there were probably many times he 'herded' me and I didn't even know it. Scary smart, that  dog.
Lucy's pretty smart, but not wily (ooh, I wish I'd thought of that pun on purpose!) like Spock. That or she's got me fooled too  <_<

Pages: [1]   Go Up