The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Claire's Blog - 8/1  (Read 1478 times)

Phil Carson

Claire's Blog - 8/1
« on: August 01, 2005, 12:57:42 pm »

NO SINGLE PIECE OF WRITING IN THE WORLD MEANS MORE TO ME than Henry David Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience." Wendy McElroy explains the reasons beautifully in this longish essay.

Otherwise, what point is there in having principles or conscience?

+1

Claire,
Thank you for posting ,sharing, and providing that link.

Phil.

If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them. - Basuto Proverb

Shevek

• Liberty-Minded Fussitarian Nit-Picker
    • Simple Liberty
Claire's Blog - 8/1
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 01:22:56 pm »

I'll second that motion to thank you Claire.

Not because I am unfamiliar with Thoreau's essay---I have a copy on my book shelf.

My reason for thanking you is that often I tend to forget that although I have read much of the classics in this genre and philosophy, that many people "out there" have not and they need to be informed of this type of literature. This type of thinking is so second nature to me that often I forget that I too once had to begin my journey with but a single step. What seems so blatantly obvious and clear to me is not so obvious and clear to many people.

I often tend to forget that after years of study and commitment, I more easily connect the dots than somebody who has not been exposed to thinking freely or constructively. If the modern education movement has failed in any specific way, my observation is that most people today cannot think meaningfully. Most people were taught to obey and not think critically. Superstition and willful ignorance abound. Thus, exposure is important to hopefully somehow trigger the process of thinking.

Keep blogging Claire.

And thanks to all of you who keep sharing these ideas, including Wendy and Brad.
"But there was always time for swimming and for talking, and never a time by which a task must be finished. There were no hours: only whole days, whole nights." The Children of the Open Sea, The Farthest Shore, Ursula K. Le Guin.

http://www.simpleliberty.org/   http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up