The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C.O.P.  (Read 5886 times)

Scarmiglione'

C.O.P.
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:54:14 am »

Citizens On Patrol has opened up a new chapter in my neighborhood.  I'm considering signing up

Bad things:

~Background check  !!!  I've been pretty vocal, depending on how deep they go, this could be a problem.
~Tightly integrated with the police (including ride-alongs and monthly patrol time).  Ugh.
~Possible step into political arena.  Ugh.
~Exposure to the people I politically disagree with that can do something about it.  If I slip up, they'll have someone to hang a convienent arrest on.

Good things:

~Residents securing their own areas and neighbors is very much something I believe in.  Voluntary policing instead of coerced policing.  I can thusly live something I believe in.
~Tightly integrated with the cops.  Which means I can keep an eye on them, know who they are, and which ones can be trusted, assuming I can keep my damn fool mouth shut.
~Access to police bands.
~Hopefully, securing our neighborhood ourselves will deter any more jabbuts from feeling they need to move in.
~Securing neighborhood from real crime, and not stupid bullshit.
~Insulation and "good citizenship" points if I ever do get into trouble.  Reputation-building.

Does anyone have any experience in these type programs?  Things I should watch for?
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

TheDUDE

Re: C.O.P.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:17:12 pm »

Go to local video store, rent "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol."  You'll find everything you need to know.

Hope that was helpful ^_^

Arizona Ranger

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 11:02:55 am »

The whole C.O.P Programme is similar to the system in Castro's Cuba where there is an informant on every block...

Anyway you spell it C.O.P is nothing more than  P.I. G !!!!!  :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:46:41 pm »

The whole C.O.P Programme is similar to the system in Castro's Cuba where there is an informant on every block...

Anyway you spell it C.O.P is nothing more than  P.I. G !!!!!  :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:

Agreed.  And since there is one starting up in my neighborhood, I'm looking to MOLE it.  Ergo, why I posted the question in the Mole forum.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:11:15 am »

Agreed.  And since there is one starting up in my neighborhood, I'm looking to MOLE it.  Ergo, why I posted the question in the Mole forum.
Scarmig. It makes sense to me. If you have the time and can endure the background check. Seems like it might be good to keep an eye on them.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 10:28:32 am »

sounds o.k., but ...

how good are you going to feel when you have to be associated with a drug bust? you cant just pick and chose what you do in these things? right?

how good are you going to feel when you get shot because the  :police: your with pulls over some drug dealer: what about you wife and daughter?

Damn straight I'll pick and choose what I report.  That's one of the pros.

Getting shot never feels good.  I would only have to do one day riding around with a "real" cop.  The rest of the time it would just be me and my neighbors taking turns keeping watch.

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 01:04:50 pm »

I don't know the rules of the ride-along.  I'm betting I'm not allowed to carry.  Can't have even the active citizens getting too uppity.

My CHL has long expired, so on patrol it would not be legal for me to carry.  (That's my official answer and I'm sticking to it).

badmuggafugga

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 10:28:37 am »

Where I live, ridealongs are politely asked to not carry and are checked for warrants.  They are, however, given a NIJ IIIA vest to wear and are directed in no uncertain terms to whack Pooky about the head and shoulders with any available tool should Ossifer Friendly have to go hands-on and need a li'l help until backup units arrive.

If you have the opportunity and it doesn't present too much of a security risk for you, I strongly recommend taking the ride.  Most municipalities have a ridealong program as a community outreach/PR policy.
"Bad guys who wear badges and judges' robes and have all the other people who wear badges and judges' robes on their side, can take your toys and no one will help you get them back!"

Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
When the last fires will wave to me
And the silence will set out
Tireless traveler
Like the beam of a lightless star

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 03:49:12 pm »

Maybe you should start your own A. O. P.? Anarchists on Patrol! :mellow:
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

dervish

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 06:04:05 pm »

If relevent still, you might consider joining Law Enforcement Alliance of America, and trying to win converts.  They're not perfect, but they DO have some things to recommend them.  I think overall, they'd be a good influence on the local police and citizens, given how they promote the right to carry conceal for citizens, cop or otherwise, and focus on going after crime than objects (with the notable exception of the drug war, but that's only a peripheal topic to LEAA anyway).  Heck, they even spoke up in defense of militias once.... and against the invasions of privacy.... seems you could work your will there with a legite cover using LEAA, even promoting many of your views, just stating them in a way that passes for LEAA... and it IS for cops AND the community at large, partly in trying to seperate the blue wall that seperates them.
Alpha: "We could end this quickly, if you'd only listen to my advice."

Obi-Wan: "We are not assassinating every surviving political leader on this planet."

— Alpha and Obi-Wan Kenobi discuss options on Jabiim
Pages: [1]   Go Up