The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Perceptions  (Read 12368 times)

Phil Carson

Perceptions
« on: August 03, 2005, 02:13:09 pm »

Disclaimer: The following post does NOT reflect the policies, opinions expressed, or implied  of TCF , The Administrators nor Claire Wolfe. The poster is expressing  personal experience(s) , opinion(s) , or thought provoking content.

The Reality is - people are profiled.

People percieve people, places and things. It is a fact of life. There are attached to certain chartacterics of everyday exposures a - gut response.

The folks dressed up in a Uniform , give the Perceptions of being PolicePersons, Doctors, Nurses, Fireman, Utility workers....you name it.

Folks in attendance in certain places , give Perceptions of belonging / needing to be there. The receptionist in the front office, the teller in a bank, the security guard in the bank, the person in white apron and hat in the kitchen of a restaurant, kids at a bus stop during the school months, the person in slippers taking the trash out next door...you name it.

How one carries themselves also give Perceptions. Three piece suit and tie/ ladies smart busines suit.  The eldery with a walker being feeble, The person heading across the parking lot with head up, looking around, keys in hand, is aware, and focused. The vehicle with various stickers denotes character of the driver.

Folks' vehicles, interior and exterior .Homes, the yards and interior decorating. The person with shaved head and various colors of ink and writings. The lady wearing a head scarf in summer, That Insulin Pump on that persons belt. The person putting a golf bag in a vehicle trunk. More Perceptions.

Think outside the box - do not be in the box.

Whether it is to protect Freedoms, fight Tyranny, be safe in one's travels, or in one's abode.

Phil

If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them. - Basuto Proverb

Phil Carson

Perceptions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 03:22:50 pm »

Disclaimer: The following post does NOT reflect the policies, opinions expressed, or implied of TCF , The Administrators nor Claire Wolfe. The poster is expressing personal experience(s) , opinion(s) , or thought provoking content.

To kill a gopher - think like a gopher-- Alex from Caddyshack

I am a 50 y/o male, older returning student. I wear jeans, oxford shirts, tennis shoes often. I drive a truck with a tool box.

Now does that generic baseball bat bag have a bat or a 870 pump shotgun? Is that LLBean backpack the one with books - or is that the one that has the handguns ready to go out to shoot?

Now am I using my cane because I need to - or does that .gov bldg have posted NO CCW?

Now I know darn well that wall mounted ironing board, does have more than a ironing board inside that access. I also know why a buddy of mine has the particular circuit breaker panel, and mutual buddy of ours the panels he has for some IT equipment he does they way he/ they do.

Knowing that BGs use metal detectors to find valuables hidden - is that HVAC duct really a duct? Is that how/ what needed to be done to convert that older bldg to more modern HVAC?  Maybe it is the "other" duct that has the firearms/ ammo in it. Hang on let me get a metal detector...danged if I know - all I get is a buzz the duct is made of metal. What guns?

BGs are NOT the only ones wearing special clothes to represent an affliation that know the freezer is the first place to look for stuff, or the most common passwords/ combinations  used on alarm systems, computers, ATM machines and whatnot.

Lady Doctor friend had to buy me breakfast. See the State says no CCW in hospitals. Lady Doc often works the Graveyard hours, and even tho' not far to where she can most often park  - she still has to get from point A to point B. She still has the right to defend herself in traveling to and from the hosptial,and any stops she may need to make on her own time. Like groceries at 4am at the 24 hr grocery store.  Not un-common to be called in - for emergencies. The surveillance cameras do not always have film - and all they really do is "observe and document" when they do have film. She made HER decision , and when asked to "find it out" - I grabbed the Fort Knox book in her office. [pout] Everyone knows what these look like - especially BGs, Security folks, and LEOs. Great Idea - way too much publicity - hence the reason I never recommend.

"Oh goody - you brought me a gift...say this is NOT what it is Perceived to be..." Well granted she is cute when she pouts - whole bunch more cute when gets that impish grin in her office and - err- puts the gift to use.

I have a old Woolrich blue rain jacket - waist length.. No insulation - just to repel rain. Had it for 20 + years. Back before alphabet agencies really started to have ones with yellow letters. Mine was a gift. Well I have been Perceived to be some kind of agency type, even in jeans and tennis shoes. A couple of times I almost got into serious trouble wearing the thing and some youths - well they didnt' take kindly to me or the jacket. I rarely ever wear the thing anymore. I prefer to be really really low profile, o hide in plain site. I do NOT do wannabe anything.

I have been Perceived to be "some guy that must have retired early" , someone that works in various stores  " can you run to the back and see if you have any Fire Ant Killer./ The Tomato soup on special, .."  to being an instructor at College  even by other instructors,be they older or <sigh> younger than myself. Granted I now sometimes do assist in some instructions to classes, and  instructing to PhDs, Professors, Instructors and such ...these last types do NOT always make good students btw .

I do not want to be Perceivedto be anything. The Reality is - I am profiled.

It is therefore my responsiblilty to be vigilant , to give off the Perceptions that are best for my Security  and well being. I have to be secure in my activites of daily living and interactions. I hide in plain site, I keep low profile, I do not advertise anything - instead advertise the needed Perceptions .

There are NO firearm related material left out and about. NO toting of logo'd firearm containers ,or stickers of affliation to any firearm mfg, organization or cause.

Think outside the box - do not be in the box.

Whether it is to protect Freedoms, fight Tyranny, be safe in one's travels, or in one's abode.

Perceptions ,

Phil
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 03:27:05 pm by Phil Carson »
If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them. - Basuto Proverb

Plinker-MS

• Techie
  • Nobody in Particular
Perceptions
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 02:22:23 am »

Disclaimer: The following post does NOT reflect the policies, opinions expressed, or implied  of TCF , The Administrators nor Claire Wolfe. The poster is expressing  personal experience(s) , opinion(s) , or thought provoking content.

So... do people ever perceive that you speak for TCF, the Administrators, Claire, or anyone-outside-your-own-skin?

Just curious about the disclaimer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:22:53 am by Plinker-MS »

Pagan

Perceptions
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 03:30:49 am »

So... with so many wrong perceptions out there, how can we possibly override them all?

"It is therefore my responsiblilty to be vigilant , to give off the Perceptions that are best for my Security and well being. I have to be secure in my activites of daily living and interactions. I hide in plain site, I keep low profile, I do not advertise anything - instead advertise the needed Perceptions."

Even a person attempting to "hide" can be perceived as a Milquetoast, a nerd, a non-entity, a patsy, a wimp -- in short a "victim" of anyone who desires to prey on someone else. And that might really set him up for disaster.

What are you suggesting we do?

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Perceptions
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 12:21:37 pm »

Disclaimer: The following post does NOT reflect the policies, opinions expressed, or implied  of TCF , The Administrators nor Claire Wolfe. The poster is expressing  personal experience(s) , opinion(s) , or thought provoking content.

So... do people ever perceive that you speak for TCF, the Administrators, Claire, or anyone-outside-your-own-skin?

Just curious about the disclaimer.
Only when he posts a disclaimer stating that he doesn't speak for anyone other than himself.  :)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Swein Asleifson

Perceptions
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 08:00:39 pm »

Even a person attempting to "hide" can be perceived as a Milquetoast, a nerd, a non-entity, a patsy, a wimp -- in short a "victim" of anyone who desires to prey on someone else. And that might really set him up for disaster.

What are you suggesting we do?
Unfortunately, it is all to common for those of us "I leave you alone, you leave me alone" folks to be perceived precisely as you said - wimpy.  What to do?  Short of taking over Fedgov by the same process the neocons have used   :o , I've gotten some positive mileage out of forcing myself to get to know my neighbors.  We might not be friends, but at least I'm not viewed as being "that weird, quiet, Urban Injun down the street".  Which is funny acause I definitely look more white than Indian.  Must be my beard.

Of course, outside my neighborhood, I'm often viewed as the potential threat, mostly due to my attire (blue jeans and flannel shirts) and carriage (confident stride).  Or maybe people are scared of my insanely good looks.   :lol:  

rayray

Perceptions
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 06:42:52 pm »

Hm.  I'm trying to get it.  Yes, a pool and a pond!

Desertrat

Perceptions
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 03:54:58 pm »

I was raised amid a bunch of psychologists, my mother's co-workers.  So, I picked up bits and pieces, including a lot of the jargon.  That includes "otherness", or how we do indeed profile and assess other people, particularly if they are notably different in ethnicity or style of dress.  Call it the eearly warning system portion of the "fight or flight" reflex.

So, as I thought about keeping a low-ish profile while out and about, I simply dressed to blend in with those with whom I spent the most time.  Further, since cops generally don't hassle folks who look like Sammy Straight Arrow, I generally provided the appearance of a middle-class WASP.  Since I basically "are one", life was easy.

Implicit in what Phil says is to keep your mouth shut about what you do to maximize your safety and security.  And, Condition Yellow does not give one ulcers.  All ya gotta do is keep the rest of the world clueless about your preparations.

And I've survived a bunch of goofups to become a certified Old Fart.  All that really means is that I'm a bit more cautious about where I go and when I go there, and work a bit more on alertness.  Otherwise, no change...

:), 'Rat

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Perceptions
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 05:07:24 pm »

One thing I've definitely found - when I'm wearing a kilt and tuxedo vest/jacket, I can go anywhere in a city and nobody ever says a word. "Secure areas," employee-only doors, restaurant kitchens, backstage areas, you name it. Everyone just assumes that I'm doing something Official. I would assume that the same effect works on people dressed appropriately for their surroundings and who move with purpose and self-confidence.

I've also found that when I'm walking about wearing cargo pants, hiking boots, a plain tshirt, and an open pistol in a black holster, people wave at me a lot more than normal. I think they must be assuming that I'm a cop of some sort. It's an interesting phenomenon (and much better than how I rather expected to be treated while open carrying).

Pagan - I think the best way to blend in safely it to adopt the style of dress most common to the average, normal person around you (y'know, business suit in downtown Chicago, jeans & flannel in ranch/farm country) and also practice situation awareness. If you are alert, aware of your surroundings, and confident, most Bad Guys will notice (or so they told me at gun school), and choose other victims, while most regular folks won't give you a second glance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 05:08:27 pm by Ian »
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
Perceptions
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 05:44:39 pm »

I've had similar experiences with work uniforms.  When I wrenched for a living, I often went around in tomorrow's clean uniform.  Nobody ever bothered to read the patches, it seems.  If a friend was in the hospital, or I was visiting a government building or anything like that, I just breezed through without ever hearing "you're not supposed to be here.

To this day I collect certain kinds of shirts. :ph34r:  
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Pagan

Perceptions
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:22:52 am »

Ian:
Pagan - I think the best way to blend in safely it to adopt the style of dress most common to the average, normal person around you (y'know, business suit in downtown Chicago, jeans & flannel in ranch/farm country) and also practice situation awareness. If you are alert, aware of your surroundings, and confident, most Bad Guys will notice (or so they told me at gun school), and choose other victims, while most regular folks won't give you a second glance.

This makes the most sense -- and it could be what Phil was trying to say. But he said so much that it was rather difficult for me to sort out, so I wanted an explanation.

We CAN'T HIDE -- unless we're invisible. Whether acting/dressing differently or like everyone else, sooner or later we could become a target for someone, somewhere, for some nonsensical reason. (I knew a cop with a reputation for stopping people who consistently drove 'legally', because he thought they were trying to stay under the radar -- which made them suspicious to him.)
So it's best just to get on with your life. If you're eccentric, that may even be your disguise because people will just ignore you after a period of time.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Perceptions
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:47:28 pm »

I knew a cop with a reputation for stopping people who consistently drove 'legally', because he thought they were trying to stay under the radar -- which made them suspicious to him.
I hope I don't run into that guy.  I was driving home from my wage-slavehood the other day and a cop pulled in behind me.  I drove exactly 40 miles per hour (the speed limit) for three miles, which, lemme tell ya, is not an easy task without cruise control.  He kept looking down at his computer and his radar readout and I just know that son of a bitch was trying to catch me speeding.  But I wouldn't let him do it, so HA!
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Pagan

Perceptions
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 04:29:40 pm »

securitysix:
I hope I don't run into that guy.

No worries :-) ... that was 30 years ago.

Scarmiglione'

Perceptions
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 05:01:45 pm »

I knew a cop with a reputation for stopping people who consistently drove 'legally', because he thought they were trying to stay under the radar -- which made them suspicious to him.
I hope I don't run into that guy.  I was driving home from my wage-slavehood the other day and a cop pulled in behind me.  I drove exactly 40 miles per hour (the speed limit) for three miles, which, lemme tell ya, is not an easy task without cruise control.  He kept looking down at his computer and his radar readout and I just know that son of a bitch was trying to catch me speeding.  But I wouldn't let him do it, so HA!
See, I'm going to get killed on day because of something like this.

When a cop pulls behind me and starts checking his speed, I do things like speed up to 3 mph over for 2 seconds, then drop back to the speed limit, then edge back up one....    oh.... two....... maybe three mph, then drop back down, then I go just an edge below the speed limit, for just long enough that he has to tap his brakes.

Now, I try to use environmental excuses, such as bumps in the road or inclines and curves to "justify" my speed variation.

I also do things like suddenly need to clean my winshield wiper with all of the fluid in the resevoir.  You know how those old cars are, they spray the stuff all over the car behind them as much as on the winshield.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

DrillSgtK

Perceptions
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 09:03:17 pm »

I'm thinking the idea behind this was to make us aware of how people perceive us. I took a look and started doing that. I'm a tallish guy with short hair near a military base. Sadly I also have a slight spare tire i've been fighting since I was 25. By wearing a tight t-shirt and not sucking in my gut I noted that the people I talked to about a new bed made the assumption that 1) I was retired military or 2) a vet back from Iraq who had been injured. When i came back a week later I wore a polo shirt and kakis and the sales people assumed that I was an instructor at the base. (the polo hid the gut.)

I can see how awareness of this and other perceptions can be useful. The best way to be not noticed is to be put into a profile. Just read a police alert for someone (with out a photo) from a mugging. "White Male, about Five-ten to six feet, 18 to 22 with a football sweatshirt, brown or black hair."  Place this in the "college town" area and you have little to no chance of finding the guy.

Show up at the Farmers Market in the hills with that outfit and you won't blend in as much. I remember feeling very out of place in a suit/tie after church one day when I stopped to see a friend at the mall. I stood out. I got down town on Monday in the same suit/tie and was only notable by being tall.

If you need to disappear, blend in. It buys you more time to blend. It distracts attention from you or your stuff. Noting wrong with becoming good friends with all your neighbors, as long as you don't mind that some day they may be on tv saying "he was such a nice person, I can't believe that he would have done that."  I don't draw attention to myself, from either the cops or the Bad Guys (or both some times). Yes I have some expensive toys, No i don't announce it to the world that I have them. I could have just a table and lap top in my apartment, or not. You can't tell from the outside

Hide in plane sight. Let the loudmouth, who has not the self-preservation instinct G-D gave a carrot, draw the attention. Then work quietly to change things. As we say in the EMS world, Don't become a victim trying to save a victim.

I'll have to remember that a cane can be a good club the next time I need to go into a "CCW ban zone".

Drill Sgt K.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up