The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: "Must Have" Books/reference material  (Read 106620 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: "Must Have" Books/reference material
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 09:31:04 pm »

Not a book but I've found a lot of useful information in the Bison Newsletter (www.bisonnewsletter.com).  The primary focus is survival on a budget.

I like this guy's style:

Also, please be advised that in a few articles there is profanity. I usually tone it down and try to minimize my swearing, but sometimes I just can't help myself such as when I am writing about our lord and masters the Feds.

Hehe.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 11:21:29 pm »

I liked some of his info so far too. Budget ways to get there is a great idea. Particularly for us with small amounts of money. 
One question would anyone besides me call the phrase "extra money" an oxymoron?
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

filadog451

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 12:11:22 am »

One question would anyone besides me call the phrase "extra money" an oxymoron?

Yes....but when that thought bothers me I comfort myself by thinking of all the money I have in the bank for that brief period between depositing a paycheck and the checks I've written to pay the bills posting.

Junker

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 06:31:50 am »

This is not a 'must have', but it is free and covers an older time/style/technology which might be more helpful to DIY homesteading.

The Household Cyclopedia
(1881, PDF, 14MB)

Contents
1 AGRICULTURE 1.2 Wheat 1.4 Sugar 1.5 Cotton And Tobacco 1.6 Silk Worms
2 HORTICULTURE 2.1 Budding And Grafting. 2.2 Fruit 2.3 Flowers 2.4 Insects
3 RURAL AND DOMESTIC ECONOMY 3.1 A Dairy 3.2 Bees 3.3 Insects
4 FARRIERY 4.2 Cattle 4.3 Hogs 4.4 Sheep
5 MEDICINE 5.1 Diseases 5.3 Wounds 5.4 Fractures 5.6 Amputation 5.7 Poisons 5.10 Cholera 5.12 Children 5.13 Domestic Medicines 5.17 The Teeth
6 CULINARY ARTS 6.1 Plain Cookery 6.4 Pickling 6.5 Carving
and
7 BREWING 8 DISTILLATION 9 PERFUMERY
10 BLEACHING AND SCOURING 11 DYING 12 PAINTS AND COLORS
13 VARNISHES 14 INKS 15 METALLURGY
16 PYROTECHNY 17 TANNING 18 ENAMELLING
19 POTTERY 20 GLASS 21 PHOTOGRAPHY
22 ENGRAVING 23 WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
24 CHEMICAL RECEIPTS 24.1 Boiler Incrustations 24.3 Antiseptics And Disinfectants
25 WEATHER PROGNOSTICS 26 ANGLING
27 MISCELLANEOUS 27.1 To Tie Knots 27.2 Knitting 27.5 Destroy Insects 27.6 Petroleum 27.8
28 IMPLEMENTS OF AGRICULTURE

Rawles

• SurvivalBlog
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 05:01:03 pm »

I just recently posted links on Survival Blog.com for the free online editions of "Where There is No Doctor" and "Where There is No Dentist".

Jim Rawles
Editor, SurvivalBlog.com-- The Daily Web Log for Prepared Individuals Living in Uncertain Times. Bookmark it. It may save your life!

http://www.SurvivalBlog.com

motherbatherick

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 06:10:16 pm »

Speaking of Patriots, surviving the Cming collapse, one of the books it mentioned was the Nato Emergency War Surgery manual.  Great book, lots of info.
You guys aren't going to believe this, but I found my copy of it at Half-Price Books for$3.00!

Junker

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 08:26:38 pm »

I just recently posted links on Survival Blog.com for the free online editions of "Where There is No Doctor" and "Where There is No Dentist".

Got 'em. Good to have. Thank you.

Mr. Inspector

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 09:39:32 pm »

I have read and recommended www.endtimesreport.com. Good info on kerosene products and other prepardness topics.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2005, 12:02:47 am »

Where?

I saw mention of them under "Bookshelf" but no links,  looked under links,  a few other places...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Rawles

• SurvivalBlog
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2005, 08:35:03 am »

Where?

I saw mention of them under "Bookshelf" but no links,  looked under links,  a few other places...

Those are in the main Blog thread.  The first item was posted on November 14th.  A follow-up was posted on the 15th.  These will be yet another followup by "Dr. November" posted tomorrow. That one discusses a huge medical FAQ.

Once i have enough e-books references, i will add a subsection to my links page.
Jim Rawles
Editor, SurvivalBlog.com-- The Daily Web Log for Prepared Individuals Living in Uncertain Times. Bookmark it. It may save your life!

http://www.SurvivalBlog.com

godscarp

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2005, 09:33:06 pm »

Last weds. I ordered Patriots, The Boston Gun Bible and Enemies, Foreign and Domestic from Freds Guns via Jim's Blog.¬  They arrived today and all for $50.00!!!!¬  ¬ Great deal and quick turn around.
www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/books.asp

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 09:25:48 am »

Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

A Nonny Mouse

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 07:05:11 pm »

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery

I was very saddened to learn that Carla Emery passed away about a month ago after a sudden illness. Her book was instrumental on putting me on the path I'm on today. Her wisdom and gentle humor will be greatly missed.
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~ River Tam, "Serenity"

http://friggasfensalir.blogspot.com

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 10:14:09 pm »

As a primer, a general tome, it is hard to beat "Boston on Surviving Y2K" changed later to "Surviving Doomsday".

the power chapters made me understand just what the difficulties are in trying to set up a "grid free" home. The money section when it comes to metals is outstanding. A "How to buy" guide as well as some general info on what to look for. it also explains the weights of metals in "junk bags" and the weapons section is moderately useful. The "growing your own" section on animals written by Amelia Porter(?) is very useful in both meat production capabilities of various animals and the "what to buy" in the way of antibiotics for both man and beast are useful as well.

That book is the best 12 bucks that I have ever spent on a "survival book". The simple reason for that is because it is specific as to what works and what doesn't.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 10:30:09 am by padre29 »
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

earthbag

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 11:41:40 pm »

Things I've found useful:

Would love to hear recommendations for additions to the shelves...
- quiet 

John Seymour's New Complete Self-Sufficiency : The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers (Hardcover) by John Seymour, Deirdre Headon  - By FAR the best book on self-sufficiency that I own. All of his books are good, but this is the best.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0751364428/sr=1-1/qid=1139290252/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-7399932-0768820?%5Fencoding=UTF8

F
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up