The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hacking your car's 'puter for speed & thrills!  (Read 3158 times)

Hidden_Variable

Hacking your car's 'puter for speed & thrills!
« on: February 14, 2004, 11:16:02 am »

Hacking your car's 'puter for speed & thrills! (Don't try this at home kids!)
Altering Your Engine With New Chips
From the NY Times On-line  (A  snippet from the article)
"Mr. Farrell is just one of an increasing number of car owners using computer chips or software downloads to get better performance from their cars. E-mechanics are reprogramming systems to overwrite factory settings and take advantage of higher-octane gasoline. That allows advanced timing, increased power, sometimes even better mileage".
Read it here: (Registration required)
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/13/automobi...les/13CHIP.html
On a more disturbing note I saw on TV the other night that "law enforcement technology researchers" are working on an EMP strip that will replace the nail strips used now to halt high-speed pursuits.

:unsure:  

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 12:46:10 pm »

Heheheheheh... (cackling while rubbing hands together)

My understanding is that the settings for timing, etc., are kept on an EEPROM chip.
(Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory). The problem here is that
it would not be difficult to detect modified settings.

Imagine, if you will, hacking the onboard computer program itself, so that if it is
queried on the contents of the EEPROM, or for a checksum (digital finger print)
the program will return the values set at the factory, unless some  hidden menu
option is used to get the actual values.

Just a thought. I'm not recommending this. Nope. Not me. Never.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

beech_trees

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 12:53:49 pm »

On a more disturbing note I saw on TV the other night that "law enforcement technology researchers" are working on an EMP strip that will replace the nail strips used now to halt high-speed pursuits.

Sounds like a valuable item to have at the bottom of one's driveway....... flip it on when you're not expecting company.... better yet, rig a switch to trip when the first car passes through, but turn it off for the second car... oops a lil fender bender B)  

kbarrett

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 04:31:59 pm »

Two can play that game.....Ford Crown Victoria police cruisers also use those chips.

And for even more fun, remember this kids..... An IR lamp flashing at 15 times per second will cause most streetlights to turn green nowadays ....    imagine a maglight with an IR filter lens, and a rotating shutter turning at 15x60 ( 900 ) RPM.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 04:36:25 pm by kbarrett »
The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up