The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where did that camera come from?  (Read 8503 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Where did that camera come from?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2004, 02:26:39 pm »

Lasers are good, but temporary.

The paintball idea is permanent (requiring service), is less threatening, but can be spotted from the ground.

Why not take paintballs, drain the paint, and refill them with vegetable oil? As pointed out above, the image
would degrade over time as the oil attracted dirt, and there would be no bright tell-tale visible from the
ground. It could be awhile before someone was sent out to service the camera.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Rob Lister

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 02:39:19 pm »

I think the original post raises a more important question.  How do you know when a camera is watching you?  Is one watching you right now?

Go ahead.  Look around.  What is it you expect to see?

You should have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  But where would that reasonable expectation come from?

The government!?

I don't think so.  The government might be willing to help so long as they see no direct benefit in doing so.  Otherwise, you're outta luck.  It's the same thing with that RFID thing.  The government ain't gonna' do squat, except possible make the problem worse (they're good at that when they help.)

A consumer group?

It better be a big one and it won't do jack about government cameras.

You -- the individual?

Like I said.  Go ahead and look.

Seems to me that the individual is pretty much fucked unless or until someone comes up with a way to make themselves and others invisible.  Seems to me it requires, at the very least, a(nother) change in lifestyle.

rick

• http://www.frankenrangers.org
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2004, 10:56:12 am »

I recommended the necked-down .348 for the longer range. You won't do good if you have your face neatly illuminated on video...
Doc, I'd prefer potassium perchlorate with sulphuric acid. Almost as good as Knallsäure ;-)
rick

I bear no hate against a living thing I just love my freedom all above the King

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2004, 04:31:15 pm »

If you're in an area with cameras, I think  you have to assume you are being seen. Note that I didn't say
watched. There aren't enough  eye balls to watch all of the camera feeds all of the time. Even if someone
sees  your image (live or recorded) from a camera feed, it  will probably be of no interest to them unless
you are already a "person of interest".

Look at it this way: when people put cameras everywhere, you  help to contribute  to the data "white noise"
by  walking around in public. :rolleyes:

BTW, went to the drug store today, and window shopped in the sporting goods section while my wife  did the
practical stuff. I found the area they have  for paint balls, and saw a notice displayed prominently: (paraphrased)

THE USE OF PAINTBALLS AGAINSTS REAL OR PERSONAL PROPERTY
IS A CRIME PUNISHABLE  BY FINE, IMPRISONMENT, OR BOTH.

Makes you kind of wonder how  other folks are using their paint balls creatively  if it's necessary
to actually post a notice about it. :P

Bear

-- Bear

kyfho23

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2004, 10:09:22 am »

Makes you kind of wonder how other folks are using their paint balls creatively if it's necessary to actually post a notice about it.
More likely, they're just trying to avoid a lawsuit. Anybody tried filling a paintball with hot coffee? :)
Note that I didn't say watched.
An important point to remember: Most of the time, the people doing the surveillence are just clock punchers. As Mr.Bear noted, the camera may not even be monitored actively, or the person watching it may be spending his/her time thinking about other things. The men would probably be watching the women anyway. Discretion compels me to avoid speculating on what the women would be watching.
If you're in an area with cameras, I think you have to assume you are being seen.
As I remember, the ACLU has stated that any time you're in public, the right to privacy disappears. Not their position, just their interpetation of the law.

nanopro

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2004, 01:35:43 am »

delete
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:29:59 pm by nanopro »

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2004, 11:05:11 am »

Laser pen lights, you say? Hmmmmm.....
Lois, definitely NOT planning anything evil

FYI: In the Peoples Republic of California, painting someone with a laser designator is considered assault.

Is a laser pointer a laser designator? Sheeesh...

Then again, a camera is not a person....

Bear

-- Bear

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2004, 08:21:23 pm »

Why not take paintballs, drain the paint, and refill them with vegetable oil? As pointed out above, the image
would degrade over time as the oil attracted dirt, and there would be no bright tell-tale visible from the
ground. It could be awhile before someone was sent out to service the camera.
That is an excellent idea.  By the time the damage is noticed, there is a good chance the tapes from any surveillance cameras that might have seen the shooter willl have been rotated.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 11:14:30 pm »

Why is there an assumption that making it necessary to come out and fix the thing give any kind of a clue as to who's put it there in the first place?

Someone I know works for a company that does,  among other things,  those "traffic cams" that the local tv stations use -- and has personally installed _all_ of them in the Harrisburg, PA area. Look here ferinstance...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

unstructuredreality

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2004, 02:16:31 am »

I'd just as soon see them all come crashing down broken.  They tout them as being traffid flow monitors but since the 90's when they were beginning to be installed, traffic jams are many times worse and they've begun recording.  Trafffic cams are one thing, the constant collection and video retention indefinately is quite abonother and begins to infringe on man's rights to be left alone.  Selective enforcement has turned into the goal, not timing of lights to ensure traffic flow.  Look up at your next intersection upon the light fixtures or nearby, much like most of Oakland CounY Michigan.  a hundred million dollars later, traffic is up 10 fold, and the procecuters and LE are thirsting to get their hands on the tapes for "fighting crime"
I applaud anyone who takes them down.  At least I did in my dream last night. ;)  Couldn't help but smile whent a few folks went around town a few weeks back and destroyed a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of them and left notes saying the money could be better spent other ways.  Way to go folks.  Get em while they are young, make the news and start a debate.  My goal is to do it peacefully by information only.  Let em cover the cameras with more cameras, those are just as breakable.  Lasers, paint guns, pellet guns work wonders.  I applaud folks like this even though I use my monkeywrenching skills moreso with my mind.  It's time to brainwash the public that the common police brainwashing techniques just aren't working anymore., whether that's through the media, the community or direct action.

peace and Good Day

P.S. I'll have a sight open soon separate from my intelligence site that exposes the surveillanc mechanisms and cameras to give people a feel for what they look like and how they hide them.  In addition there will be ways to jam them included, with off of the shelf equipment.  Could come in handy down the road.

PS  I of course wouldn't be one of that bunch, I only think these things up :)

Take Care
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 02:19:43 am by unstructuredreality »

TFA303

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2004, 05:15:20 am »

I just discovered a wonderful product called Tannerite:

www.tannerite.com

(As I understand it, this thread refers to stump removal, right?)

Tom

unstructuredreality

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2004, 12:38:28 pm »

One of my big problems is the constant recording some of them do, night and day.  With data storage capability growing by the week, many institutions have it in their collective head they are doing society a favor by reocording and scanning the footage in real time.  I would'nt be so adverse to a "simple" cctv system. Waht irks me is the possibility of a permanent log of my comings and goings.  I know a conveinience store owner who sits around and watches the digital tapes just for giggles, seeing if the subjects do anything that might not be considered socially acceptable in a public setting, but do not know the cameras are recording everything they do.  Law enforcement often makes use of the tapes as well, and I for one would not want to be identified as being anywhere near the scene of an accident I did not cause or notice.  Another thing, with all of the cameras being installed in public schools these days under the guise of safety after Columbine, did anyone ever realize that the whole assault was caught on surveillance cameras and recorded too.  What dit they accomplish.  To me surveillance cameras are a huge waste of money used only to pacify the ignorant.  Hang around for 10 minutes or so inside of a 7-11 or similar store and watch the kids rob the place blind for beer, but when you walk in, it's like being booked into county jail, with your mug all over their in house  video screens.  7-11 would go broke if they had to install cameras to watch the cameras and any smart thief knows how to avoid them as they do inside public schools or any other place they are installed.  The dumb criminals will only find other places of opportunity, like small towns etc.  If they are there for a deterrent, then they shouldn't record digitallly indefinately.  24 hours would be enough to determine if there had been a problem the previous day.  This logic however is not followed and many of these tapes are kept for years due the inexpensive data storage capability mentioned above.

Peace and Good Day
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 12:39:07 pm by unstructuredreality »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up