The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Escaping the job trap and the art of nothing"  (Read 2005 times)

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
"Escaping the job trap and the art of nothing"
« on: February 23, 2004, 07:38:04 am »

After I read the blog entry "Escaping the job trap and the art of nothing", I asked my wife to read the linked Escaping the Job Trap, a subject that we have discussed off & on for a while.  

I have already begun the process by working short-term contracts & projects as a MS programmer.  Jeannie has felt that she needed a straight job.  But, this has now changed.  

We have started talking about a 3 1/2 year plan.  In that time, we will get to the point that we will be able to semi-retire.  We will move to some place near a small town, to a home that we will buy for cash.  We will work a few months out of the year doing things we like to do (& get paid for it).  The rest of the time we will be able to do other things that we like to do, even if we do not make money at it.  

Thanks, Claire for findng those weird, wonderful, & inspirational links for us.  

======================================
In a free society, each person owns himself. As such, he has the broad discretion to make his own choices regardless of what others think of the wisdom of his choices.
-Walter E. Williams

(BTW - I know that many of the people on this board are Linux folks, but if you know anyone that needs any MS programming done, particularly VB & DotNet, please let me know.)

There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Pages: [1]   Go Up