The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In  (Read 135067 times)

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
Re: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2007, 12:59:34 am »

Thanks for the response. 

You pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of.  NJ has become a gigantic suburb.  I wouldn't even call it a suburb -- it's more like an urban area.  Just driving down Rte 9 on a Saturday afternoon, or anywhere between 3-5 pm on a weekday gives me a terrifying vision of what could happen here if everyone's trying to GTFO.

Worse yet,  I have a son living in NYC...

Some SF novels talk about a "mega-city" that extends from oh,  Boston down past DC.  I think from what I've seen that we're already well on the way to having that.

I was afraid that much of it was already moving west into PA.   Not sure what I'm going to do.  I was thinking perhaps somewhere a bit northeast of Harrisburg, though I don't want anything to do with the Poconos.  There must be pockets somewhere that are not in the direct path of developments, especially now that the sub-prime mortgage market has taken the wind out of the development insanity.  PA's a big state.  Any thoughts on where to go to research the various areas?

NE of Hbg?   I don't see anything to recommend that area in particular.  Heck,  I landed in Berks County when I moved to PA.  There are an awful lot of other folks "moving out" of major urban areas,  a lot of hispanics and others in all sorts of places around here (Lebanon,  Reading,  etc.) and who are driving the costs of housing up.

They have a pretty active tourist promotion industry going on.  This means visitor centers well stocked with all sorts of literature,  lots of free maps,  etc. and I would imagine that most of that stuff is online.   There's also a fair amount online about state parks and forests,  and other things.  Getting a hold of a bunch of that info and using it in reverse, to rule stuff out,  might be one way to deal with it.

Bear in mind that not only is the development spreading out from Philly in all directions,  it's also spreading out from Pittsburgh,  too,  though not to the same extent (yet?).

PA also has a very strong authoritarian tradition that's rubbed me the wrong way since I moved here.  School districts are a separate taxing entity besides the local,  municipal,  county,  and state stuff,  and then there's all this nuisance stuff like "occupation privilege tax" which gets sucked out of your first paycheck if you can't prove to them that you've already paid it that year.   Used to be minimal,  like $10-15, but this year it was $54 and I sure as hell couldn't afford it.

The local and school taxes are on a per capita basis,   but that's only where you live.  Own property and there are also local and school taxes on _it_,  too.

Some places get into other weird stuff.  York County, for example,  had some sort of a tax on "valuables" where if you owned any stocks,  gold,  jewelry,  etc. you were supposed to let them know and pay tax on that too.

Lancaster folks (some of them) decided that they wanted a hotel and convention center.  So there was this basically abandoned empty place right downtown that was an old department store they picked for it.  To finance that they levied a "room tax" on all of the hotels and motels in the county -- basicaly those folks being forced to finance their competition!

I could probably go on at length about this but am gonna stop here...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:01:06 am by Roy J. Tellason »
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Jcmcn5

« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2007, 08:44:54 pm »

You outline a pretty grim scenario.  Can't say I disagree with much though.  I think we do indeed have a super-city like entity all along the East Coast right now.  Certainly the entire coast of NJ, 25 miles inland from the coast is one giant urban area like I wrote earlier.  It's depressing really. I grew up in northern NJ.  It was no rural paradise, but where I was a boy we could play in the woods all day without seeing anyone.  I think you'd have to go to the Pine Barrens to find that degree of forest today.

We have much the same tax structure on NJ.  Taxes are levied at the State level, the county level and the municila level.  And like you the Board of Ed is its own taxing entity.  Around here, politicians run on the platform of how they "only" raised taxes by 5% per year.  Can you believe that? One party is just as bad as the other.  I joke with my wife (not really a joke, more like dismay) that only in NJ can policians  say the exact same thing as their opponents (we'll lower your taxes and end corruption), and yet somehow they manage to vehemently disagree with each other.  It's like a comic opera without the comedy.

Oh well.  My choices right now are limited.  NJ is not a long term option, but financial, professional and personal ties prevent me from moving further west right now.  While PA may not be the optimal choice, I think you'd agree that it can't be any worse than NJ.

Good luck to you.

John McNamara

Gypsy

• 1% Biker/Bad Guy
  • Your Laws, Not Mine
« Reply #182 on: November 05, 2007, 12:58:18 pm »

Greeting from a one room (unfinished) cabin in the middle of nowhere.

Anybody know about or have plans for a wind turbine tower (60+ ft)

PS. i don't have access to a crane.
Party Like Its 1776

EDDE

« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2008, 07:03:56 am »

*click*  :wave:

Native

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2008, 10:30:13 pm »

Geographic center of Tennessee checking in.  :ph34r:

Rob24

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:06 am »

Hello All. Fairly new reader of survivalblog. Came to the forum to seek like minded individuals who are "crazy", "doomsdayers", "paranoid" ect.  ^_^

On the west coast, (Ca) hope to get to know you all soon.

GYPSY: Check www.treehugger.com They have a wealth of information on "off grid" topics including Solar and residential wind turbines.

Go to "how to green" and then click the topic of lights.

"green"/"enviromental websites are great for those looking to be self sufficient because in an age where being "green" isn't very popular the whole movement pretty much is founded on self sufficiency. I have even seen links to manufacturers that make houses that are completly self sufficient from power to water and sewage! Check'em out. Take care.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:44 pm »

Welcome to all the recent new members! 

I have even seen links to manufacturers that make houses that are completly self sufficient from power to water and sewage!

If you would share some of these, I'm sure that it would be much appreciated.
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Rob24

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »

I'll see if I can go back and find the adds.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2008, 01:32:30 pm »

I'm sorry Rob - I misread your earlier post.  I thought you already had the links.... I didn't realize that you were speaking of the ads off of the site you linked earlier.  I should pay more attention when reading. 
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

Rob24

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2008, 01:59:16 pm »

LOL its ok. I'm kinda busy right now but i'll get to it asap.

Meanwhile if you want to do your own searches I recommend doing searches for "sustainable living" "sustainable homes" ...lifestyle ect. You can often find applicable information on sprouting/gardening, farming, hatcheries, lighting.. it really goes hand in hand with survivalist/retreat mentality. ttyl

Resurgam

• I Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2008, 02:55:47 pm »

I've "checked in" in the main forum, but I thought I'd let everyone know that I too found this great forum via Mr. Rawles' excellent Survival Blog.

Armageddon2012

« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2008, 04:13:41 am »

Hi all , I'm in Las Vegas from Texas.

P.S. How do you start New Threads here, Cant find New Topic Button ???
" You Can Have My Guns , From my Cold Dead Hands Mr. Barrack Huseine Obama !!! "

Dare2BFree

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2008, 06:18:14 am »

You can start new threads after you have posted 5 times.  It's our way of keeping out spammers.

Oh, and welcome  :)

Armageddon2012

« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2008, 07:32:02 am »

Thanks for the INFO , I have 6 posts now , I guess I'm not a Spamcan !!! :mellow:
" You Can Have My Guns , From my Cold Dead Hands Mr. Barrack Huseine Obama !!! "

yuppy

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2008, 01:52:55 am »

hi guys!~  ive been reading the blog for over a year.... i didnt even know there was a forum

i just kind of checked it off and on! nice site guys!

Hawkeye Nation checking in
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Up