The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In  (Read 133384 times)

timcos

Re: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2007, 09:42:38 pm »

From Utah right now...but moving to NW Arkansas

Checking in

« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2007, 02:41:03 am »

47 in Northern Idaho !!!!

RogersLeap

« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:17 am »

Just got here! Thank you.

hogfarmer

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »

Checkin' in from the TEOTWAWKI Ranch in the swamps of Michigan

Taaango

« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2007, 08:01:55 pm »

One more checking in from Northern Utah.

Greetings.

viridari

« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2007, 07:42:02 pm »

FNG from North Carolina here.

I follow the Survival Blog RSS feed but just started poking around and hit the Forum link tonight.

Dare2BFree

« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2007, 07:46:08 pm »

Welcome everyone!
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

iloilo

« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2007, 10:08:15 pm »

Welcome, Base camp and Windeye, and others I may have missed.
I wrote a piece on my vision for these boards, a little while ago, which you can find somewhere, and I wish I were better at linking stuff: I am still learning.  If you find it, I think you will enjoy it.
here it is:  http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=15426.0
Some of us have had freehold stashes for many years, and it is always a good feeling to have that sort of planning and practical preparation reinforced.  Thank you, Basecamp!
I am so glad to see you and Windeye here!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:23:25 pm by feralfae »

potshot711

« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2007, 06:48:01 pm »

[SurvivalBlog reader/contributor here. Northwest Wyoming. Many days march from nearest teeming masses. Howdy!/i]

Junker

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2007, 07:05:46 pm »

SurvivalBlog reader/contributor here. Northwest Wyoming. Many days march from nearest teeming masses. Howdy!

Howdy, and welcome NW WY (from CWC MT:-)

westeringsun

« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2007, 08:01:00 am »

Hey all-
SB fan checking in from near the muddy banks of the Wishkah, western WA. 

Defuz

« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2007, 10:01:03 pm »

Defuz from Louisiana checking in. Glad to be here.

Jcmcn5

« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2007, 07:09:49 pm »

New reader here and contributor to Survivalblog.  I hate to admit this, but live in central NJ, and am curious to know anyone's thoughts about potential retreat locations in central PA, which is within striking distance of where I live.  For a variety of reasons that are not relevant to this thread, a retreat further away is not really on option for me.  Basically, I'm looking for what I can reasonably do.  Staying put here in the most densely populated region of the most densely populated state is not a reasonable option for me shoud the SHTF.   Does anyone know PA well?  Any thoughts on areas in PA worth looking at?

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:28 am »

New reader here and contributor to Survivalblog.  I hate to admit this, but live in central NJ,

Yikes!  :-)

and am curious to know anyone's thoughts about potential retreat locations in central PA, which is within striking distance of where I live.

Depends on what you might consider a reasonable distance...

For a variety of reasons that are not relevant to this thread, a retreat further away is not really on option for me.  Basically, I'm looking for what I can reasonably do.  Staying put here in the most densely populated region of the most densely populated state is not a reasonable option for me shoud the SHTF.   Does anyone know PA well?  Any thoughts on areas in PA worth looking at?

Further out than you probably wanna go...

I moved to PA in 1978,  to GTFO of NYC.  I've watched intersections near here that were a couple of two-lane roads with only a stop sign for one direction turn into eight lanes in both directions (I kid you not!) with all sorts of fancy "traffic control devices" having been put in.  I've watched one development after another popping up,  and the last time I went out saw where they were starting still more,  in what had been open farmland.  You could describe where I am as roughly on one edge of the Harrisburg metro area.  Go anywhere east of here and it gets worse.  And Philly is 3 hours from here,  dunno how far you might be...

I haven't tracked land prices around here.  A few years back we did a brief exploration of the idea of getting a modular as opposed to some of the other options,  and at that point in time typical prices ran anywhere from 10 to 30 thousand _an acre_ anywhere around here.  Prices varying of course by where.  And the development continues unabated so far, with them folks coming around and finding some old farmer that's tired of it and waving big wads of cash in their faces.

I'm still not in a position to buy land,  or to set things up like I want to,  but am coming to the conclusion that what I want to do ain't gonna happen anywhere around here,  no how no way.

The change in what used to be US 22 to I-78 and such stuff has resulted in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, etc.) becoming _a bedroom community for NYC_,  a fact that called itself to my attention during the 9-11 aftermath.  Which then means the same crap is going on in The Poconos,  too.

My thinking is tending somewhat west of here,  and perhaps a bit south as well.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Jcmcn5

« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2007, 06:43:28 pm »

Thanks for the response. 

You pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of.  NJ has become a gigantic suburb.  I wouldn't even call it a suburb -- it's more like an urban area.  Just driving down Rte 9 on a Saturday afternoon, or anywhere between 3-5 pm on a weekday gives me a terrifying vision of what could happen here if everyone's trying to GTFO.  I was afraid that much of it was already moving west into PA.   Not sure what I'm going to do.  I was thinking perhaps somewhere a bit northeast of Harrisburg, though I don't want anything to do with the Poconos.  There must be pockets somewhere that are not in the direct path of developments, especially now that the sub-prime mortgage market has taken the wind out of the development insanity.  PA's a big state.  Any thoughts on where to go to research the various areas?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Up