The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In  (Read 133391 times)

Happy

Re: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2008, 10:26:10 am »

Another Rawles fan from the state of Missouri.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2008, 10:33:34 am »

Checking in from Georgia. Been reading SurvivalBlog for 2+ yrs and prepping as well.  :mellow:

Welcome yonah! Pull up a chair. Enjoy the companionship.

Shorty Dawkins
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

CrazyNut

« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2008, 12:55:03 pm »

I just found this site and the Survivalblog recently. I have some questions that I hope some of you on this site might be able to answer:

1)  How have people been able to find their retreats?  Did you already live in the area and knew some places that migth be for sale?  I have used Landflip to look but they appear to only have a small listing in states like Wyoming and Montana.  In other states, like Idaho, they have nothing.

2)  I would like to consider buying basic store items, like rice and grain.  Where is the best location to find un-milled grain?  On the Survivalblog site someone mentioned not tryign to store rice.  What is the rationale behind this?  Leading into Y2K we stocked up on rice by placing it into plastic containers and put a bayleaf or two in the package.  Never had any issues with the rice.

3)  What are some good books to have for reference?  I would suspect one on simple cooking and medicine care would be good.  Probably a couple on gardening.  What else am I missing.

4)  What are people buying as far as commo gear?  I have seen some Motorola 2-way walkie talkies on eBay and just wonder if these would work.

5)  For families with small kids what are people doing?  We already homeschool but if we move to an isolated area they will have few other kids to play with, if any at all.  How have other families dealt with this?

6)  If I can get the property I would like to have goats and chickens as food sources.  I understand what is needed to take care of chickens.  How much effort is raising goats?  What about is I want to get some to get milk with? 

I have a lot more questions but will leave at these.  Appreciate any replies that might be given.   

daniel moss

Growing our own in Melbourne- Self-Sufficient Gardens Report
« Reply #243 on: December 13, 2008, 05:42:04 am »

check it out

A research project discussing sustainable, self-sufficiency gardening in Melbourne has found that is an increasing trend. The report highlights broader influences impacting on community ability, and uncovers a variety of community gardens and educational opportunities.  The research involved consultation with many participants at the forefront of community and self sufficient garden solutions.   

It includes a holistic consideration of the topic and explores a diversity of options available. This project could also be of value to compare to other cities and highlights some innovative activities to develop local community food security through growing our own food, herbs and beneficial use plants.

full report @
http://growingourown.wordpress.com/ 

Overview of research findings.

What influences the Melbourne community’s ability to garden for self-sufficiency in a sustainable manner?

A redefinition of waterwise gardening that includes edible plants may be necessary.

All self sufficiency or food gardeners across Melbourne need support in keeping their productive gardens producing in a drying climate. The active Melbourne garden community has recognised this and has developed the grassroots network, the Food Gardeners Alliance, as well as many innovative projects and partnerships.

A significant number of respondents interpreted sustainable and self sufficient as the same thing, whereas others shared the assumptions of the research that self sufficiency gardening was the act of, or outcome of productive gardening, and sustainable was the preferred garden method.

Respondents attributed a variety of interconnecting variables and themes that were leading to an increase in self sufficiency gardening in the community and offered a range of anecdotal evidence to support their opinions. The far majority of respondents referred to environment-related issues.

One of the most common suggestions from respondents was that growing environmental awareness in the community has led more people to make the connection to growing their own food. Drought is having a strong impact. According to varied views, climate change is encouraging people into self sufficient gardening, while its impact on hydrological regimes is significantly deterring and impeding others.

Food plants require a lot of water, and water restrictions were found to be a significant problem for food growing at home and in community gardens. However, it appears that a number of people in the community are moving toward sustainable gardening practices before giving up altogether. There is need and opportunity for water conservation in the vegetable patch.

Perceived health benefits are encouraging food growing, due to quality, freshness, nutrition and therapeutic benefit. Health benefits are tied in with the embrace of organics and a rejection of chemicals in the garden. The cost of food is also a factor, as was the broader costs of living. Economic conditions could become another significant influence, and concern about community food security is growing, though the food miles concept is having more impact.

From the perspective of the research findings, as a concept, sustainable gardening is currently much more prevalent on the minds of the community than self sufficiency gardening. The variable of gardener effort may be at play here, simply due to the fact that it may be easier to keep your garden alive, but not as easy to keep it productive in these times of low rainfall.

School “kitchen gardens” and “public access community gardens” were found; along with permaculture and therapeutic gardens; to be in a healthy state of growth. Equally strong was an availability of educational opportunities for the home and communal gardener; innovative new projects which are turning home produce gardens into communally shared spaces; a variety of organisational and community partnerships, broader sustainable living campaigns including food growing, as well as an increase in local and bioregional garden networks.

Community food security is necessary. We should look at the phenomenal growth potential of self sufficiency gardening offers at a communal level. The networks are developing and growing…..

The full report can be accessed @ http://growingourown.wordpress.com/

I hope the report and the large list of links on the blog helps develop more understanding on these issues. Feel free to add comments on the blog or email me @ danielchristophermoss@gmail.com
http://growingourown.wordpress.com/

archer

« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

Been Reading SurvivalBlog for a couple of months. Here for a couple of weeks! Thought I was prepared but after reading Patriots I realize that I haven't even started. Wife is on board and we are ramping up. Not very remote here in the hills of southern Ohio but we are rural and out of the way. Looking forward to many interesting posts and better discussion!
Keep your eye on the target!
Archer

CrazyNut

« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »

I just ordered the Patriot but in many ways have been doing small things for a little while.  Archer, like you I am far from being ready.  I've been busy the last couple of weeks going through items that I need.  The most pressing and the hardest to procure at this point will be the property.  I need to sell my house here in Florida so I can move West.  The housing/banking issues is going to make this very difficult.

Billybob Cornfed

« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2008, 09:58:02 pm »

Anyone in north east AZ - Navajo Country - or in NM, AZ, interested in correspondence - please e-mail jlors@hotmail.com

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2008, 11:36:10 pm »

Been Reading SurvivalBlog for a couple of months. Here for a couple of weeks! Thought I was prepared but after reading Patriots I realize that I haven't even started. Wife is on board and we are ramping up. Not very remote here in the hills of southern Ohio but we are rural and out of the way. Looking forward to many interesting posts and better discussion!

Welcome Aboard Archer!
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2008, 11:37:33 pm »

I just ordered the Patriot but in many ways have been doing small things for a little while.  Archer, like you I am far from being ready.  I've been busy the last couple of weeks going through items that I need.  The most pressing and the hardest to procure at this point will be the property.  I need to sell my house here in Florida so I can move West.  The housing/banking issues is going to make this very difficult.

Indeed, lean times indeed, welcome aboard CrazyNut.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:31 pm »

Anyone in north east AZ - Navajo Country - or in NM, AZ, interested in correspondence - please e-mail jlors@hotmail.com

Welcome to TMM Billybob Cornfed...
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2008, 08:06:01 am »

I've been looking all over here and can't find a link to the actual "survivalblog" anywhere. Someone gave it to me once, but I don't have it now. New people looking in here won't have it either. Maybe someone could put a list of resources at the top of this board and sticky it so new folks could have access to them. Just an idea... ML
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2008, 09:52:58 am »

I've been looking all over here and can't find a link to the actual "survivalblog" anywhere. Someone gave it to me once, but I don't have it now. New people looking in here won't have it either. Maybe someone could put a list of resources at the top of this board and sticky it so new folks could have access to them. Just an idea... ML

ML:

Here is the link.

BR/DS

http://www.survivalblog.com/
"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

bearman

« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »

Bearman from Montana checking in; living in my surplus missile site now.

Found this site from a link off http://www.survivalblog.com

synchro

« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2008, 10:18:04 am »

synchro here from S/W Colorado.
Found the Gray 90's during Y2K prep when
we retreated to the bunker and have yet to see
fit to emerge. 
Been reading Survivalblog for a long time,
today I finally hit the forum button.

coloradohermit

« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2008, 04:16:58 pm »

Welcome aboard fellow Coloradan! Not exactly neighbors, central CO here, but same state of mind.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Up