The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In  (Read 134893 times)

Placer

• Provisional
Re: SurvivalBlog Readers-- Check In
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »

Hello All,
I'm a farmer from SE/NE PA (gray area where it could be N or S).  Anyway, been a survialblog reader for a little while and just finsihed reading Patriot (took less then a day to read, couldn't put it down).
Anyway, we milk cows, make cheese, beef, pigs, chicken etc.  Pretty diversified operation.  Looking into setting up with some alternative power to run the well and such.  Hoping to discuss with like minded individuals on this site.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2009, 07:54:17 pm »

Hiya.  Lehigh Valley here, though I'll be selling and moving this spring.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Placer

• Provisional
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2009, 08:15:08 pm »

Hi there, I'm lehigh valley also (not quite SE, but not quite NE PA).
Where are you buggin out to?

Klapton Isgod

« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2009, 05:08:57 pm »

Hi there, I'm lehigh valley also (not quite SE, but not quite NE PA).
Where are you buggin out to?

Once we sell, going to stay with my parents in western WA while we find our land.  While I love the climate and topography of western WA Cascades, prices are high, and county governments are oppressive.  I'm leaning toward northern ID or Western MT for where we will eventually buy.  We plan to pay CASH for the land, well, septic, and a mobil home.  Over the next several years, we will build our homestead and build a log home.  I learned how from these guys:  http://www.loghomebuilders.org/ .
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »

Hello All,
I'm a farmer from SE/NE PA (gray area where it could be N or S).  Anyway, been a survialblog reader for a little while and just finsihed reading Patriot (took less then a day to read, couldn't put it down).
Anyway, we milk cows, make cheese, beef, pigs, chicken etc.  Pretty diversified operation.  Looking into setting up with some alternative power to run the well and such.  Hoping to discuss with like minded individuals on this site.

Placer:

You sound to have an enviable start on your self sufficiency. Is your operation a grass/grazing based operation or do you feed grain? I am very interested in grazing chickens and pork as well as cattle. In the middle of my research now.

Welcome aboard and there are many on the Forum that can share ideas on what you need/want.

DS
"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

Placer

• Provisional
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2009, 08:29:09 pm »

Hey hollywood,
Our dairy and beef operations are 100% grass.  The pigs and chickens get grain (pigs get whey from the cheesemaking).
Hopefully, I can get some other preparations done this year to help with long term food storage (canning, fermenting, etc).
If you need any info on your livestock endevors feel free to ask.

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2009, 06:47:22 am »

Hey hollywood,
Our dairy and beef operations are 100% grass.  The pigs and chickens get grain (pigs get whey from the cheesemaking).
Hopefully, I can get some other preparations done this year to help with long term food storage (canning, fermenting, etc).

Placer:

We may need to move to another thread to discuss this, and thanks for the offer. I am wondering how to let pigs graze without causing serious damage to the pasture. Any thoughts?

DS
"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

Klapton Isgod

« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:05 pm »

Hey hollywood,

Placer:

We may need to move to another thread to discuss this, and thanks for the offer. I am wondering how to let pigs graze without causing serious damage to the pasture. Any thoughts?

DS

From what I've been reading, your best bet is to use movable electric fencing, and move them before they overgraze and start rooting.

watkin29

• Provisional
    • Survival Blog
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:12 pm »

Hey everyone, I've been a long time reader of survivalblog but never been active on this forum so I just thought I'd say hi from Salt Lake City.
“It is a wise man who, in quiet times, keeps his knives sharp and ready” - Lao Tzu

The Survival Spot - http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-blog/

Who...me?

« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »

Hi there watkin29 and welcome. As well as political discourse,  there is preparedness info and allot of nice folks.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Hillbilly123069

« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2009, 03:32:20 am »

A reader from central illinois

Doc November

« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:22 pm »

Hi, y'all! This is my first post on this forum, and I'm checking in from the SouthEast.  Thank you, Mr. Rawles, for sharing your wisdom with us all.    We've been beefing up our prepping, and have found great guidance from your writings.

Limbic

• I build things
  • Don't forget to bring a towel
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2009, 02:27:45 pm »

HEY FROM RI/VT

Who...me?

« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »

Welcome Hillbilly, Doc and Limbic.

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

libertygal78

« Reply #284 on: April 07, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »

Hi All,

I have been a SurvivalBlog reader for the last several months, and have been becoming more & more interested in freedom, liberty and survivalism over the past year or so.

Though I've become very interested in survivalism and prepping for when TSHTF, unfortunately because of certain current life circumstances, I am at the moment, trapped in suburbia, and have been unable to make any concrete preparations for TEOTWAWKI. In the meantime though, I am trying to read and learn as much as I can until I have the means and ability to take more tangible steps.

I look forward to getting to know, and become friends with you!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28   Go Up