The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State Project- Goal or Deadline?  (Read 22455 times)

fisher

Re: Free State Project- Goal or Deadline?
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2005, 05:57:41 am »

If any organization’s spokesman makes an erroneous statement, the organization will eventually issue a retraction, but it does have to suffer consequences.  Fine, nail us all to crosses, and then go pursue all those other likely means to liberty in your lifetime.
So when did the FSP issue a retraction for this official press release
http://www.freestateproject.org/news/releases/1000members.php
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jason Sorens, President
Free State Project, Inc.
Phone: 828-273-8863
Email: info@freestateproject.org
Web site: www.freestateproject.org

Free State Project Reaches Membership Milestone

September 3, 2002 – The Free State Project, a plan in which 20,000 or more liberty-oriented people will move to a single state of the U.S. to secure there a free society, this week reached an exciting milestone of 1000 members.

Since the FSP's founding in September of 2001, over one thousand people have decided that this route represents the most viable strategy toward the creation of a free state. According to Jason Sorens, the project’s founder, "This exciting milestone is a confirmation that we have a feasible solution that resonates with the politically disaffected."

The membership numbers over the past year indicate that the project will meet its self-imposed deadline of September 2006 for the beginning of the move. The Free State Project has grown on average 25% each month; at this rate, the ultimate goal of 20,000 will be reached by the middle of 2003. As long as the membership continues to grow by at least 10% each month, the Project will reach its goal by early 2005 at the latest.

The Free State Project, recently endorsed by respected economist Walter E. Williams in a widely syndicated column, is a new strategy for freedom. Founded by Jason Sorens, a Yale doctoral student in Political science, the Free State Project aims at liberty in a single state. The FSP membership favors cuts in state taxes and elimination of wasteful state government programs, an end to collaboration between state and federal law enforcement officials in enforcing federal drug and gun laws, the privatization of utilities, and the abolition of inefficient regulations and monopolies.

For more information, please go to www.freestateproject.org.
When I talk about a  "deadline of Sept. 2006", I am quoting a statement in a FSP press release that was never retracted

Lloyd

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:32 am »

Probably just a big typo.

simplulo

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2005, 08:20:50 am »

When I talk about a "deadline of Sept. 2006", I am quoting a statement in a FSP press release that was never retracted
Good find, keep it coming.  The word "deadline" is meaningless without noting the consequences.  For example, at work I have a deadline of 22 November to deliver a report; if I fail to do it, the consequences will not be my termination or the dissolution of our project, but rather a reprimand from my boss and a hit to our award fee from the customer.  Even those people who were paying attention might not have seen a problem with such an ambiguous statement, since they knew the context.  Once we recognized the problem, we agonized over it for a long  time, and finally issued the recent statement, which constitutes your retraction.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I hope that somewhere you made some kind of constructive recommendations for moving forward.  Given your moniker (for those who don't know, a fisher is the only animal that can kill a porcupine) I have to question your motives.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 05:51:22 am by simplulo »

fisher

« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2005, 04:52:11 pm »

When I talk about a "deadline of Sept. 2006", I am quoting a statement in a FSP press release that was never retracted
Good find, keep it coming.  The word "deadline" is meaningless without noting the consequences.
I disagree. Let's look at the definition of deadline.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=deadline
deadline
n.
   1. A time limit, as for payment of a debt or completion of an assignment.
   2. A boundary line in a prison that prisoners can cross only at the risk of being shot.

deadline
n : the point in time at which something must be completed

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline
A deadline is a time by which some task must be done. It is imposed by an authority.

For example, at work I have a deadline of 22 November to deliver a report; if I fail to do it, the consequences will not be my termination or the dissolution of our project, but rather a reprimand from my boss and a hit to our award fee from the customer.
I would say you do not have a deadline, you have a target date. The difference is what happens when the date is not met. A deadline implies that the task *must* be completed in a certain time limit. If a deadline is missed, there is no longer any point in completing the project. An example of a deadline would be filing to run for a political office. If you miss the filing deadline, you are not running. Game over. When a target date is missed, it may have dire consequences, but you still have to finish the job. An example would be a target software release date. Those target dates are never met, but the product is almost always released after the original target date.
Check this out this link:
Project Deadlines and Target Dates:
5 Guidelines for Avoiding Disaster

Even those people who were paying attention might not have seen a problem with such an ambiguous statement, since they knew the context.  Once we recognized the problem, we agonized over it for a long  time, and finally issued the recent statement, which constitutes your retraction.

I disagree that the recent statement constitues a retraction. It calls the "deadline" an informal goal.

Some shifty things have happend over on the FSP website. Take the 10/01/03 press conf. video on the FSP site, for example. Why was this Q&A edited out?
From the press conference held 10/01/03 in New York(video)
Donna Delacruz, Associated Press:
"What happens if within 5 year you do not get the 20,000 people to move to New Hampshire?"

Jason P Sorens, President and Founder of FSP:
"If we don't get 20,000 by September 2006, then people don't necessarily, they aren't held to their obligations for signing up. So, many have said they are going to move whether or not we reach 20,000 and our current projections show that we will reach 20,000 by 2006. So, if we don't meet the 20,000, the movement may fold into some other form, though it looks as if we will."
To me, it looks like someone is trying to hide the September 2006 issue.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I hope that somewhere you made some kind of constructive recommendations for moving forward.
No, I haven't. Are you going to pay me as a consultant if I do?
My free constructive recommendations would be:
   1. Come Sept. 2006, if there are not 20,000 participants, change the name to FSP part deux, or FSP reloaded, and have participants opt-in if they wish to remain in the group. You may want to start the opt-in process 6 months prior to the deadline. Those who don't opt-in get dropped from the rolls. Jason calls this "rebooting" the project.
   2. Dump the current president. You can hire me part time(20 hours a week*50 weeks) for the $30K the FSP has. I will make a  go-foward plan for the FSP, something it seems to lack. I also live in NH, and I know Jason said at the 10/03/03 press conf. that one of the reasons he was stepping down as president is because the FSP wanted a president that lives in NH. Amanda doesn't plan on moving to NH in the next couple of years.

Given your moniker (for those who don't know, a fisher is the only animal that can kill a porcupine) I have to question your motives.
I'm just wondering what you think my motives would be.
Do you question the motives of the http://nhfishercats.com/ too?

Porcupine predators include the fisher, the mountain lion, bobcat, and the coyote.
http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/fisher/fisher.htm
Fishers kill all prey, except porcupines, by biting them through the back of the head. The fisher is one of the few predators that eats porcupines. The hunting of a porcupine is hard work and a successful kill may take half an hour. The arrangement of quills on a porcupine protects it from an attack to the back of the neck. To counter this pointy defense, the fisher circles the porcupine and bites at its face until the porcupine suffers shock or is unable to protect itself. The fisher then overturns the porcupine and begins to feed on its belly. As would be expected, fishers may sustain some injury from the quills of their victims, but even though quills sometimes penetrate a fisher's intestines, they seldom appear to cause serious damage to the animal. Porcupines are not an essential part of the fisher's diet because fishers live in areas not inhabited by this prey species.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 05:10:35 pm by fisher »

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2005, 01:41:32 am »

Ain't you folks got anything better to do than to grind this thing into the mud over and over again?

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up