The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asperger's Syndrome: reality or BS fad?  (Read 12909 times)

CorbinKale

• Oath Keepers
Re: Asperger's Syndrome: reality or BS fad?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »

Securitysix and Stolid have it right. The strengths of Asperger's are great, and the downside can be overcome with effort.

My son has Asperger's. I am sure I had it, too, but no one knew what it was back then. Like me, my son had a terrible time in school. The students and teachers hated us. We were 'problem children'. Now that we understand the problem is not one of behavior, but a type of autism, we have made his life much better. Now he has a solid reputation as 'the smart kid', and has many friends. The teachers rave about him, and he has made the Honor Roll for every report card for the past two years.

Asperger's is a high functioning autism. AS folks have a difficult time socially. They want to be social, but don't intuit interpersonal relationships like normals. These things can be learned, though, and AS folks can adjust very well by learning appropriate responses to various situations. Once it is understood, AS folks are better able to function in society and make full use of their gifts, rather than being seen as kids with behavior problems.

As part of my continuing research on Asperger's Syndrome, I caught an in-depth interview with Temple Grandin on Book TV. If any of you want an understanding of AS, this would be a GREAT start. Until my son was diagnosed, I had never heard of it.

http://www.booktv.org/Watch/10695/In+Depth+Temple+Grandin.aspx
A free man doesn't beg permission to exercise his Rights.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »

It all sounds very logical, but I actually don't associate with them much. I live three states away. And I thought of two more who care but I haven't seen them in a few years so I forgot.

Maybe you should give them a call just to say "hello".  I'm sure they'll appreciate the sentiment.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

gaurdduck

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 07:25:42 pm »

It all sounds very logical, but I actually don't associate with them much. I live three states away. And I thought of two more who care but I haven't seen them in a few years so I forgot.

Maybe you should give them a call just to say "hello".  I'm sure they'll appreciate the sentiment.

I will.

Securitysix and Stolid have it right. The strengths of Asperger's are great, and the downside can be overcome with effort.

My son has Asperger's. I am sure I had it, too, but no one knew what it was back then. Like me, my son had a terrible time in school. The students and teachers hated us. We were 'problem children'. Now that we understand the problem is not one of behavior, but a type of autism, we have made his life much better. Now he has a solid reputation as 'the smart kid', and has many friends. The teachers rave about him, and he has made the Honor Roll for every report card for the past two years.

Asperger's is a high functioning autism. AS folks have a difficult time socially. They want to be social, but don't intuit interpersonal relationships like normals. These things can be learned, though, and AS folks can adjust very well by learning appropriate responses to various situations. Once it is understood, AS folks are better able to function in society and make full use of their gifts, rather than being seen as kids with behavior problems.

As part of my continuing research on Asperger's Syndrome, I caught an in-depth interview with Temple Grandin on Book TV. If any of you want an understanding of AS, this would be a GREAT start. Until my son was diagnosed, I had never heard of it.

You sir, are correct.
If you ever need AS related advice just ask. I have about 20 years of experience being an ASpie.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:13 am »

Study: Autism May Be More Common Than Thought

- A "startling" one in 38 children has autism, South Korean and U.S. researcher find.

The estimate is far higher than CDC's estimate of one in 110 children, as the study found many school kids have mild, undiagnosed autism.

The elaborate study searched for 7- to 12-year-old children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) among 55,000 children in a community outside Seoul, South Korea. Largely funded by the advocacy organization Autism Speaks, the study was led by Young Shin Kim, MD, PhD, MPH, of Yale University.

"They came up with the startling number that one in 38 children has an autism spectrum disorder," Geraldine Dawson, PhD, chief science officer for Autism Speaks, tells WebMD. "This raises an important question for the U.S.: How many kids in the general education classroom actually have an ASD but not a diagnosis? These children may have gone under the radar."

I have "one of those" questions. What if Autism is not a "disorder", but a part of being who you are as an individual? What if everyone is at some level "Autistic"? What if this is "evolutionary" matters at work?

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

gaurdduck

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »

I have "one of those" questions. What if Autism is not a "disorder", but a part of being who you are as an individual? What if everyone is at some level "Autistic"? What if this is "evolutionary" matters at work?

I have said before (tho I don't remember if it was here or not...) that ASpies are the next evolutionary step and everybody else are defective older models. Of course I think it was in reply to a troll that said that we were stupid or something.

Junker

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »

When they (govt) paid people to find STDs, they were found, in abundance.

If you pay enough we'll find as much as you want.

A prob of big gov $$ and social research.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

If you pay enough we'll find as much as you want.

A prob of big gov $$ and social research.

Yeah, just look at the "exodus" from the welfare roles to the social security roles regarding ADD/ADHD back around 1994/1995.
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up