The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Where we be (first post is updated summary)  (Read 152475 times)

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
Where we be
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 02:42:24 pm »

Second that 'Rat. I was Rat's neighbor for a year or so. I'm sure that I'm considered one of those city-folks who couldn't handle the isolation. In actual fact, my work took me away. I've always pined to go back. And I've visited several times since I left.

(BTW Rat, sorry, can't make it this Winter, I have to Winter in Toronto this year)

Terlingua's only problem is that it's not in The Free State ®.

:)

'Bug
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

Jack21221

Where we be
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 10:04:17 pm »

Baltimore, Maryland here.

Junker

Where we be
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 02:24:02 am »

Enjoyable coincidence...in looking at places for gulching, just a couple of days ago, I landed in Brewster county. There I was immediately drawn to the two rivers (creeks) on the map. But Desertrat, you say 7" of rainfall. In Apache co, Az, we run about 12" and are still called semi-arid. How's the drilling for water there? In Apache we got some 200ft to hit artesian sources. Also, I suppose land tax is an issue. Although, I like being farther from civilization (larger clusters of people) and its closeness to Mexico lends a certain interest.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 01:38:20 pm by Junker »

Absaraka

Where we be
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 04:50:38 pm »

I am a Montanan living in Idaho.

Lightning

• Heheheh...
Where we be
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 06:52:59 pm »

Just wanted to offer a little welcome, Absaraka!  Enjoy yourself here.  Yep, we're kooky, but harmless.   :P  :ph34r:

Wow, folks, 582 members and counting!
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Where we be
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 09:13:03 pm »

I thank Jebur27 and Pat T for a good idea. I hope they don't mind my reposting of it.
Well, you're welcome & I, also, think that is important enough to have it reposted & pinned to the top.  
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Junker

Where we be
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 11:34:06 am »

Thank you, Jebur27.

ladylearning

Where we be
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 09:33:28 pm »

I am a Montanan living in Idaho.
I'm from the south now living in Montana.  :)  Welcome to TCF.

LL

Danl

Where we be
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 04:43:18 am »

Western IL.  --- West of Springfield, IL in Pike County ...........

Danl
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 09:49:59 pm by Danl »
"No oppression was ever overthrown by a bunch of readers  and philosophers. Liberty is usually dirty and bloody work, and if we don't have the option of providing our masters with a real  fight, then they will perennially call our wussy  bluff." Quote from Boston T. Party's Boston's Reply to Critics of "Molon Labe"
http://www.freecolorado.com/2004/02/bostonreply.html

Jebur27

Where we be
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 06:05:39 am »

Life in N.E. Florida - Well, I must say that I like the weather here.  Despite the state's reputtation, NE FL gets very few hurricanes, this year being a fluke.  It is just starting to cool down & we get only a few dozen days below zero each year (on average).  

If you like beaches (not the movie), you'll like NE FL.  We live 20-25 miles from the beaches.  It is difficult to find unpopulated beaches, though.  (My personal preference in beaches is moonlit walks with my Baby.  Not much chance for that.)  

Culturally/politically, FL is changing, for the worse.  In 2000, the Tyranny of the Dumb Masses (democracy) started in earnest.  The Peeples found that they can pass to the FL Constitution.  In 2000, the worst were the smoking ban & “The Pig Amendment,” which requires pig farmers to have pens of a certain size.  

2004 was even worse.  There were several amendments that should have been laws (it they were to be enacted at all), including a minimum wage hike to $6.15.  I guess that voting on issues about which one is ignorant has a long tradition in the legislatures, so why not among the Peeples.  

We hope, eventually, to move elsewhere, perhaps Eastern Tenn.

===========================================
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
-Mark Twain
[/size]
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Where we be
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 07:03:08 am »

By "below zero", I assume you're talking centigrade, yes? I've never heard of zero degrees fahrenheit in the south, though it happens up here almost every year, and I remember one year when it was -20 for a week. Inside the house was 50, which I considered a pretty good job by my wood stove (since changed to oil, but it still maintains 70 degrees over outside).

Of course we have it easy compared to Canada and Alaska. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 07:03:23 am by Bill St. Clair »
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

byron

Where we be
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 07:25:57 am »

Must be centrigrade. Lowest recorded Florida temp was -2 F. (1899). The only US state  to never have a below 0 F. temp is Hawaii (12 F. is it's lowest).

In Fort Worth, in the early 80's, we had several consecutive days of below 0 F. temp....though typically it gets below freezing only a few times a year.

However, Navy boot camp in the Florida winter was a cold one. We'd hang out washed clothes on the roof, and they would freeze stiff. Standing guard on the roof with wind blowing through several hundred frozen stiff towels was killer. Years later, I pulled off the highway to sleep in Florida. It was really cold. I woke up and thought I had begun to freeze my lower half. Was kinda scared until I started thawing out.

Jebur27

Where we be
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 04:41:58 am »

By "below zero", I assume you're talking centigrade, yes? I've never heard of zero degrees fahrenheit in the south, though it happens up here almost every year, and I remember one year when it was -20 for a week. Inside the house was 50, which I considered a pretty good job by my wood stove (since changed to oil, but it still maintains 70 degrees over outside).

Of course we have it easy compared to Canada and Alaska. :)
Yeah, yeah.  That's it Cetigrade, that's what I meant.  
-Jawaharlal Nehru

-Claire Wolfe

Hasher

Where we be
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2004, 08:37:41 am »

Colorado here. Beats the hell out of Kansas.

NMC_EXP

Where we be
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2004, 08:14:12 pm »

Junker

I am located in central Illinois.  Feel free to add me to the list.

Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all...So here is us, on the raggedy edge. Don't push me, and I won't push you.
~ Mal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50   Go Up