The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Privacy Monkeywrenching  (Read 7236 times)

kbarrett

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

Mos2

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 04:52:03 pm »

One of the local supermarkets gave up on their bonus cards. They just left all the prices at the card price for everything. They never cared much about the identity tied to the card anyway, unless you wanted to use the card as a "check guarantee" card. Most of the time the checkers had a "store card" you could use to get the discounts even if you didn't have a card.

Hasher

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 05:58:46 pm »

I see Simon Jester is hard at work.

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 06:42:19 pm »

:D I like it. I hate Safeway, otherwise, I'd be tempted to participate.

BTW, I do use a loyalty card for another chain. When I picked it up, I just told the checker, "I can't fill this out without my glasses" -- which was true -- "can I bring it back later?". She said "sure", and swiped one of the cards on the form, than handed it to me. I never filled out the form, always pay cash, and get the discounts.

I've heard that some stores require an ID and taking data to use their loyalty cards. But I don't need to buy anything from them.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

nanopro

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:01:20 am »

delete
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 11:35:40 pm by nanopro »

Danl

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 09:53:53 am »

Am I a sick pup?  Are you people sick puppies?

What is it about a simple monkey wrenching plan that appeals to my nature? B)

Regards, Danl
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:12:36 am by Danl »
"No oppression was ever overthrown by a bunch of readers  and philosophers. Liberty is usually dirty and bloody work, and if we don't have the option of providing our masters with a real  fight, then they will perennially call our wussy  bluff." Quote from Boston T. Party's Boston's Reply to Critics of "Molon Labe"
http://www.freecolorado.com/2004/02/bostonreply.html

Scarmiglione'

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 10:43:52 am »

I just put on my best stereotypical male whiney voice and say, "Naw, my wife carries that thing around."  9 times out of ten they will scan their generic card for me.  Recently though they've started asking for my phone number.  I make one up that is right for our area.  Sometimes it comes up as a valid number, sometimes it doesn't.  When it comes up as an invalid number, they just swipe a new card and hand it to me.  I toss it in the trash on the way out.

I like this method because it creates totally useless data.  Individual numbers get used up, with one transaction on them, and then never used again.  They're starting to catch on to me though.   :ph34r:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:44:38 am by scarmig »
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Danl

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:10:05 pm »

One more way monkeywrench this thing is just like I just did.

I had no little card.  So I just asked the lady ahead of to run her card again...... :rolleyes:

No problem.....

Ha Ha Ha...... Danl
"No oppression was ever overthrown by a bunch of readers  and philosophers. Liberty is usually dirty and bloody work, and if we don't have the option of providing our masters with a real  fight, then they will perennially call our wussy  bluff." Quote from Boston T. Party's Boston's Reply to Critics of "Molon Labe"

SilverGreen

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 05:58:32 pm »

I had cards for Giant Eagle and Tops stores, but I got tired of carrying them around and threw them away.  Besides, what am I really saving by using those cards?  They're not gonna keep that money in an account for me and then send me a check at the end of the year.

Lois

Docliberty

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 06:15:07 pm »

Am I a sick pup? Are you people sick puppies?

What is it about a simple monkey wrenching plan that appeals to my nature?

You've just been monkeywrenching the medical profession for so long that it has become second nature. :D  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 06:15:30 pm by Docliberty »
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Danl

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 10:23:19 pm »

Docliberty Posted on Mar 23 2004, 07:15 PM
You've just been monkeywrenching the medical profession for so long that it has become second nature.

Ahh Docliberty,  you know me so well without even knowing me  :lol: ...........  :ph34r:

Danl.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 10:24:45 pm by Danl »

kbarrett

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:47:00 am »

Just write "George Orwell"  and the local State capitol's address when you fill out the form.

There is no penalty ( yet ) for flat out lies to these idiots ...

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 11:51:22 am »

Mine cards are for my other personality.  :rolleyes: So that's the person whom they are tracking. I do always also use cash.
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

Edge

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 08:36:16 pm »

Most of the chains don't care about whether your name is on the card of not. I know that Kroger ( Fred meyer, Fry's, Ralph's etc) doesn't care. I have more than two cards that have never been registered. It's all for marketing, although they could use the database for far more. If you want to mess them up, then develop different personalities for different shopping days and shop according that that identitiy. I suspect that when the RFID thing goes into full effect they won't even use their database anymore.

At least it's a voluntary association and when you use the card you know what your privacy is worth. $15.07  this month  :D  

Scarmiglione'

Privacy Monkeywrenching
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 07:04:01 am »

Disposable cards.  Get the discounts, leave no patterns, jepordize no privacy.

It did occur to me that it might be considered abusive of me to use the phone number of some poor sap ignorant enough to give his phone number to the chain for my own discount benefit.

We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up